Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Walkers herded away by trains?

Discussion in 'Episode 416 - A' started by LtlMacMcG, Apr 6, 2014.

1. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

So, seeing as the train tracks come IN to Terminus in every direction, they also head AWAY from terminus in every direction. We know from the video game that Walkers will follow trains 'en masse' and the helicopter from season 1 was the cause of the 'herds' that drove out Ricks group. Knowing that, perhaps early on the Terminates sent out trains in every direction AWAY from Terminus and herded the walkers away. If this was effective, they would just have to deal with any walkers to food brought with them.

Would be a reasonable explanation for why there are no Walkers around.

2. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

Seriously, nobody thinks this is a legit thing?

3. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

Wouldn't really explain why there aren't walkers there now any more than if there just weren't all that many walkers there to begin with.

4. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

What do you mean? The walkers were not really an issue for Rick and party at the farm until the herds from the cities which followed the helicopter kicked them off the farm and drove them to the prison. At the prison they simply defended from the herds....but they never really dealt with them. As seen from the TellTale WD game... trains are loud enough to cause herds to follow them. It reasons that multiple trains head AWAY from terminus in a 360 degree arc would be fairly effective at reducing walker issues in the vicinity.

5. Blade

Blade Member

Would'nt they need a new train every time they wanted to lure a herd away otherwise they'd follow the train back to Terminus?

6. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

It wouldn't really be a permanent solution. Just as you lead a herd away, something can lead one back to you. And as [MENTION=5143]Blade[/MENTION] pointed out, unless they have an unlimited amount of trains, the train solution is a wash due to the fact you need to bring the trains back in preparation for the new herd.

And also, it's not just that we didn't see any herds around Terminus, it's that we didn't see a single walker anywhere that raises the Terminus/walkers questions. But I just figured it's because we've had like 3 minutes of camera time in the immediate area outside the fences coupled with the fact that the people of Terminus probably have groups sweeping the area. Cause if they are cannibals, they share the same food source as the walkers do. Something they may realize and take steps to try to keep the area as clear as possible.

7. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

Use math. Geometry in particular. If you create a single point which creates an outward dynamic.......what are the statistical odds any given city would make a herd head towards terminus and also not be lead away by the trains?

#7 LtlMacMcG, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

Well, the idea would be the train wouldn't come back

9. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

Using the notion of point dynamics and law of probability...how likely is it really that a herd would be re-directed back to terminius? More to the point...there were still trains on the train track...so......plan B and C were still on standby.

10. TyberiusFox

It's not the herd you have to worry about, it's the constant accumulation of the small groups and single walkers you have to worry about. Remember when all those walkers broke through the prison fence, that wasn't some herd that happened upon the prison, but it did become a herd at the prison.

Why? Because the constant human presence is going to continuously attract walkers. On top of that, did you see the pathways of A trap? It looked like a war zone. Since war zones, or anything that can make a place resemble a war zone, are traditionally really loud, that will attract even more walkers.

What’s the probability of a large herd rolling through? Slim, but can still happen. The probability of your loud weapon fire and large group aka food source will create a herd. Pretty good.

I just don't see trains being any more than a temporary relief. Maybe. And it does nothing to explain why there wasn't even one walker shown around Terminus.

But I love that out of the box thinking. Thanks for sharing.

#10 TyberiusFox, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

They could drive a train slowly to lead a herd where they want it to go, then drive the train way too fast for any herds to follow where it's going to bring it back to terminus to rinse and repeat. I think its possible, but I think they would run out of gas fast.

12. TyberiusFox

And what about all those other walkers that were exposed to the sight/sound of the trains coming back? They are going to head in the direction they saw/heard that train, no matter the speed.

You have to remember, for all the reasons it may work... all those rules still apply on the return trip. What you'd be doing with the trains going back and fourth is nothing more than stirring walkers.

But you could just leave the trains out there like was mentioned. But then all that work would result in nothing.

13. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

The train is going 65 mph. Walkers gp 2 mph at best. Doing some rounding, they would only hear the sound about 100 feet after the train sound or visibility initially contacted them. At many points along the tracks, train tracks dont go straight they curve. If they walked in a straight path in the direction they last heard the sound 15 ft from where they heard it, they would goo un the wrong direction assuming the train curves at least once.

The only walkers they would attract are those close enough to see or hear the train within 100 or so feet of its final destination.

This is the assumption walkers follow either thr sound or sight of the train amd arent smart enough to deduce that it would follow the tracks. Considering they are so stupid they walk into spiked traps (just following the direction of what they heard or saw) im fairly certain we can rule that out.

#13 Spidey, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  14. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

I just don't see how small groups of zombies would be a threat to an organized group of people 'dug in' and ready to deal with them. Remember that it was the herds who drove rick and crew off the farm and prevented them from initially escaping the area. They found a defensible place at the prison...but the herds were still all around them. At terminus, they could have sent the herds AWAY. It doesn't mean there would be no zombies....but, without herds in the immediate area how many would they really have to deal with? Even with gun shots...you are only going to attract the ones who hear you.

15. LtlMacMcG

LtlMacMcG Member

I'm working off the Walking Dead video 'cannon' where a train draws herds of zombies.

16. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

And how fast is that train going? I said the train would only draw a herd if it was going slow. Was it going slow in that vid?

17. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

Once per train. Then nada. The ZA has been going in over a few yrs.

18. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

19. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I'm enjoying the out of the box thinking so please don't take this as criticism.
    My concern with using the trains is the condition of the tracks. Trains are very heavy and tracks take a lot of maintenance. As a matter of fact. If I wanted to trap or get even with Terminates, I would fell a tree over the track, wait for them to come out and pick them off one by one. Or just keep felling trees all the way back. I think leading the walkers away with a car would be safer.

20. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

This is where I get a bit confused about the zombies in TWD. In the first season they were able to use big rocks to break windows, climb ladders, climb over chain link fences and even a zombie woman that remembers where her husband and son are staying (s01e01). Now they are considered a bunch of dummies. What changed since the beginning?

I wouldn't worry about the track conditions. Sure they need to be kept up, but the normal usage is not a factor. They aren't running engines pulling 100 train cars full of whatever everyday anymore.

If they were doing some trickery with the trains, wouldn't other groups passing by hear the activity?