Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Was it Right to Take the Guns?

Discussion in 'Episode 715 - Something They Need' started by Weallgotit, Mar 26, 2017.

1. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

While it's understandable that they took the guns I don't think it was really right.
    Leaving them vulnerable and just stealing from a group that hasn't done harm to them and that simply wants to be left alone was not so far away from what the Saviors are doing to other groups. Only without further demands and the terror.
    If ever, half of the guns would have been enough.
    Without guns, they doomed the people at Oceanside to defend themselves with almost nothing.
    Isn't that what the Saviors did to Alexandria and all the others?

This is not how trust works.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

With regards to right and wrong...from the perspective of the Oceanside women, no, it wasn't right. They were robbed of their weapons and left defenseless.
    From the perspective of Rick's group, they had no choice. What they are fighting is an immense threat to everyone in the area, including the Oceansiders, a threat that is heartless and merciless. Even if the Oceansiders seemed fairly safe at the moment, ultimately some Negans would take over and either haul them off to Neganville, or would slaughter them all. Despite their well-stocked armoury, they were sitting ducks. Yes, they had 'sort of' a plan for defending their area, but honestly, if one woman could infiltrate them and almost succeed, imagine what 5 or 6 men armed to the teeth - and most likely far more trained in weaponry - could do to them? Rick's approach was rather brutal in that they took all of the weapons, but his group is trying to save not only themselves, but everyone in the area - including the Oceansiders, whether they want it or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yuke

yuke Member

Yes it was right. At a minimum, for trying to kill Tara, Rick's group and Tara was owed "something."

Another reason too is that Rick will use the guns to get rid of Oceanside's nemesis without any support from Oceanside other than their guns. Rick and and the other communities are putting their lives on the line for the benefit of Oceanside.

And after its all over, Oceanside gets their guns back.

4. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

It would not have done much harm to leave them a few pistols. I remember how I felt when Negan took all of Alexandria's guns. The helplessness. And at least Alexandria has walls. Rick knows what it feels like to be left defenseless. He wouldn't have done the same thing to another group. A handful of pistols and some ammo will not change the outcome of the battle to come.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Considering that the Oceansiders did not volunteer to join Rick's group, it was acceptable for Rick to take their guns, especially since he intends to return them.

The Oceansiders were overrun quite easily. They didn't keep a phalanx of armed guards at the ready, which shows that they didn't consider an invasion by a horde of walkers to be a likely scenario.

I was a little surprised that none of the Oceansiders joined in the war.

6. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Next week Rick takes half their food and tells them they better find something good for him for the following week.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

It was harsh, but I like that they at least attempted to reason with them and include them in the fight. I have a soft spot for Oceanside because they lost all of their husbands, fathers, etc. and they have little kids running around. I think they should have left a few guns locked in the armory so they at least had that to protect themselves. All of the explosions that Rick & Co. set off could have attracted more walkers or even alerted someone else in the area that there are others nearby. The only thing that makes it harder to swallow is that fact that they are collecting guns for Jadis & the stinky gang. They took from a group of women and children who have been through HELL to provide for the garbage pail kids who have been sneaking around and stealing from everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

From an overall moral stand point, no it was not right for them to take the guns. It was another "Negan-lite" moment from Rick.

It goes back to the argument over Rick being any "better" than Negan. Negan has his way of doing things. He has a moral center, his is just askew. He justifies what he does by framing it under the idea that everybody works for him. Play by the rules and everybody lives just fine. It's forced trading, and Negan offers life as the product he trades for food and weapons. You give him the supplies he wants and in return he doesn't kill you and take all of it.

Rick did the same thing to the oceanside. He told them he's taking the guns, regardless. If they wanted to they could join him and fight, but if not he was taking the guns even if it meant killing them. So it's very close to what Negan does.

The two characters are very close to one another, and I think that will be the theme going forward. At some point Negan will be captured or killed, and I don't see this show simply going on the idea of the next bad guy. They will focus on the idea that Rick is not really all that different than Negan. Just a slightly nicer version. And him taking their guns plays right into that idea.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Oh yes it's going to be a BIG day!!!
    I am so excited.

11. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

We're not going to make the trifecta, Sebrebc. Hah! I don't agree with your post #29. Rick is not remotely close to being a Negan. And even the Negan light is a stretch. The difference is that Rick does what he has to do to keep his people safe. In this case it is readying for the fight against the Saviors.

But Rick doesn't enjoy doing what he is doing when he has to cross the line. That is the huge difference between the two of them. If Rick had had any other choice he would have accepted they would not join him and left them, and their guns, alone. But he doesn't have that option. In order to fight he has to have weapons and ammo.

Also Rick said he will return their guns when he is finished with them. And I believe he will. Again Rick doing what he has to do but making it right if he can. Negan obviously would have taken all their guns and demanded his tribute for ever forward. Rick is willing to let Oceanside continue their seclusion.

The only case I can make that puts Rick in a bad light here is that he promised to return their guns when he won, and never apparently considered what would happen to them if he lost. Which, again, is the case for why I believe he should have left them something; a small arsenal for their defense if his group lost and nothing would be returned.

• Like Like x 1