Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Was Madison Right to Try to Conceal Chris' Death?

Discussion in 'Episode 214 - Wrath' started by Camilleyun, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

After Madison figured out the 2 guys were the ones Chris ran off with and Chris was likely dead, she was just going to exile them before Travis knew they were there. She wanted to protect Travis from the truth, but did she really have that right?
    I think if the situation were reversed and Travis had tried to keep Madison from knowing Nick's fate, she would be furious. She seems to have one set of rules for herself, and another for everyone else. This just bothered me. Even thought it was (kinda) well intentioned, was she right?

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it was right. It might have been better in the short term for Travis to be unaware of Chris' death, but she wasn't thinking of the long term. By him finding out the truth, he can grieve and start to move passed it. By concealing the truth, he could be still tormenting himself with uncertainty 5 years down the road....wondering about Chris' fate, hoping he may still run into him someday, wondering if he's a victim somewhere, or became a villain himself.

3. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

No she didn't have that right. Travis had every right to know the truth about his son and it was wrong of her to even think about handling it herself. and you're right if the roles had been switched Madison would've been furious. But I suppose she wasn't thinking of that now was she?
    She's just horrible IMO I hope she dies next season.

4. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

And being that she just told Alicia the truth about her father makes no sense she would hide the truth about Chris from Travis. That just shows she hasn't changed at all, or it's more inconsistent writing IDK.

5. Camilleyun

It seems like it would also cause Travis to take unnecessary risks by trying to find him, endangering himself and everyone along with him. You would think she would get this.At least she took responsibility for drawing all those people to the hotel, but yet her own uncertainty about Nick and the desperation it has caused her didn't stop her from thinking that her decision would create the same desperation for Travis, or cause others to suffer the fallout. Incredibly selfish decision.

I didn't really find it out of character for her. She lies by omission A LOT. I understood not telling your children the full truth about their father's suicide, at least while they were young. ( not totally convinced she's come completely clean about that either) But Travis is not a child, this was about HIS child. I've been mostly disappointed and/or irritated with her character, but starting to really just dislike her.

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

Clearly - look at what happened when he did find out.

7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Madison will never change.

She constantly feels she has to protect everyone around her even after it's been proven to her that #1 - She's not the most stable person herself and #2 - her decision making skills are horrid.

I understand what Strand was telling her....but I think that should have been a short term solution, not long term.

Also, I CANNOT believe she was still treating Alicia like a child telling her to "go wait in the truck and lock the doors" at La Colonia after everything she's witnessed that Alicia can handle and after seeing just how much she has grown and evolved in this short period of time. WAY more than Maddie has evolved. But she for some reason seems to think she's Miss Queen Bee and the world is hers to rule. She's completely blind to all the realities around her because she wants so bad to be the ringleader.

8. Camilleyun

So when would the appropriate time be for Madison to tell her husband that his son is dead?
    Or do you think she should have never told him at all?

9. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

No and Hell No!

Although she was correct that the news would just break him as we saw it was better to just rip off the bandaid I think than to play the game she all too often decides to play.

When will she ever learn that the world does not revolve around her and that her best decisions are terrible almost every time?

In fact she should just start trying to do the opposite of what her instincts tell her for a little while and see if things don't improve somewhat quickly and I bet this is also advise she would give her immature mistake making students when they keep doing the same stupid things and having it blow up on them!

It is tough to know whether the way she is written is from experience or lack of experience of the writers?

10. BlackLightning

How can you guys say that she made the wrong decision?

Look at what happened: Travis bludgeoned three people to death, Alicia had to kill an acquaintance of hers to protect Travis, Strand was forced(?) to stay behind to cover for them and the group had to walk away from a really good thing.

Come on. Let's be reasonable.

Kicking those two jerks out and waiting until Travis had calmed down was a very good idea. The truth is a beautiful thing and it will set you free; but it should be handled delicately.

Was Madison right to conceal the true nature of her ex-husband's death? At the time, it was the right decision. Alicia would've keep on chugging but Madison felt that Nick would've reacted horribly. Considering the fact that he already hated his father for being aloof and "abandoning" him, Nick - at that time - was better off not knowing that his dad committed suicide.

Sometimes, the right thing to do isn't the nice thing to do.

11. BlackLightning

You're being very unfair to Madison.

Do you know how many times Lori and Rick have told and continue to tell Carl to stay in the house/lock the doors/sit this one out/etc.? Is Rick (and Lori in the past tense)treating Carl like a child? Or is Rick being a good father?

In fact, I specifically remember Carol telling Carl to stay inside the house and protect Judith when the Wolves attacked Alexandria. And I remember Michonne reading Carl the Riot Act when she caught him outside of the walls, corralling the undead Deanna.

Carol and Michonne are not even Carl's mother...but who gives them a hard time?

Better yet, was Carl treating Enid like a child when he stopped her from joining the caravan of doom in 6.16? Or was he trying to protect her?

12. Camilleyun

Yeah, but protecting young children from a horrible truth is a lot different than hiding it from an adult. Madison told her kids their father died, she just lied about the details.
    And when was Madison going to break it to him? Who's to say Travis wouldn't have left on his own, or even worse, got others to go off with him looking for Chris? Madison knows the pain and anguish of knowing your child is out there somewhere..maybe dead, maybe not. And if she did tell Trav later, how was she going to explain that she knew back at the hotel but ushered his son's killers out the front gate?

13. BlackLightning

But, like Strand said, Madison knows how important it is that she has hope in the midst of the pain and anguish.

Travis was already unstable. We saw what losing that hope did to him. After all, he and Chris had parted ways three days prior. Chris probably died the day before. If that's not the definition of too soon, I don't know what is.

So, Madison could've used Strand's rationalization as an explanation. Or she could've referred back to her own experience.

14. PepperAnn

That's exactly why I said that Strand's reasons made sense.....but it should have been a short term decision....not a long one. Turns out it was neither, he found out RIGHT when he shouldn't have which resulted in catastrophe. However, I think if Maddie told him at all... it would have been months later and I think that's way too long.

#14 PepperAnn, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  15. PepperAnn

I do not see those the same at all.

- Lori and Rick repeatedly told Carl to stay in the house.....back when he WAS a child and had no experience in fighting the walkers.
    - Carol told Carl to stay in the house during the Wolves attack because someone needed to protect Judith, not because he wasn't capable of helping by fighting. She needed help in a different way. Should they both have just left Judith unattended during a vicious attack coming from all angles?
    - Michonne was upset with Carl because what he was doing was an unnecessary risk...and it was also BEFORE he told her why he was out there.
    - Yes you are correct, Carl was protecting Enid not treating her like a child. There was no need for her to come. They already had the whole world going. lol

Alicia has proven herself time and time again that she is right up there with Madison, if not past her when it comes to taking care of herself. She's made a helluva lot smarter decisions than Maddie too....and has berated Maddie for being an idiot. lol
    Yeah she was protecting Alicia by telling her to stay in the car.....but it wasn't needed. As big as Colonia was, and as broken as Travis was at the time....she needed the help. There was no child for Alicia to take care of, it was not a needless, unnecessary risk they were taking....they were looking for Nick.

In my eyes, she was simply treating her like an incapable child....again.

16. Poppy

Poppy Member

Strand made an emotional plea, that at the time could have been deemed reasonable. It is often said that kids don't come with a manual/guide book. That can also be said about adults, especially broken adults. You simply do what you think is best at the time.

In a time of indecision, I might have taken Strand's advice. But my inner self would be to tell the truth, and see where the chips fall.

Now.... let's look at how Travis handled the news.

He confronted the boys, and asked them where Chris is, and what happened to him.
    He was shocked... saddened... and accepting the story that he was killed in the car crash, was thrown through the windshield and dead on the spot.

He didn't lock the door behind him, until he knew they were lying.
    "was he thrown from the truck?, OR did you drag him out of the truck?"

THAT is WHEN the beatings began.

#16 Poppy, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  17. Poppy

Poppy Member

I was also surprised that they told her to stay with the truck.

They are better off staying together than apart. Even from a protective parent point of view.

18. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

If she never hid it from him in the first place, they probably wouldn't be in a situation where Travis could just lock one door and go on a rampage. There would have been a lot of people there to work together to stop travis. Lots of people think it was so "awesome" how travis went on a rampage, but if Maddie never did what she did we wouldn't have ended up getting that enjoyable scene.

#18 Spidey, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  19. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

She just needed some time to think. Travis finding out in the way he did was not fair on anyone. Of course she would have had to have told him at some point, but perhaps she should have left it a few hours at least in order to get him on his own and in a secure location from outside influences.

20. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

These aren't easy decisions for anybody to make -- before the ZA or now. To me, the cause of Alecia & Nick's Dad's death is old news, irrelevant and it was just a soap operatic waste of time to watch Madison telling Alecia about it now. I did not like Alecia's "you love me more than Nick" whining. She's alive, courtesy of her mother, Strand and her own growing abilities. I didn't see what the fact that her Dad committed suicide many many years ago had to do with whether Madison loves her as much as she loves Nick. I don't like soap opera. Anybody can see that Nick is a narcissistic jerk and anybody who has ever been a mother knows that fact will not cut off a mother's love of the narcissistic jerk child.

I think Strand and Madison were a much better pair decision-making wise (not speaking romantically) than Travis and Madison. Strand has a strong personality and he calls her on her B.S. or "out-there" ideas -- he brings her back to reality -- such as Madison, on the boat, wanting to rescue everybody floating out there in the Pacific or snatching the little boy from their island stopover. Strand put his foot down when Travis wouldn't. Strand and Madison pulled that hotel and the others in it together lickety-split, in a way that Madison & indecisive Travis never could have done. Strand got Madison and her family out of the hotel, a hop, skip and a jump ahead of them being killed. I'm really sorry to see Madison and Strand split apart and wonder if a Strand rescue of Madison and family is somewhere in the future story (or perhaps, vice versa)

I really don't care about Madison's back-story and the "worse" that she's done before the ZA. Anybody can see from her hardened, practical approach, she has some tough experiences under her belt.

One thing I was wondering about why Travis never said, unless I missed from snoozing, that he wanted to find Chris' body and bury him. That just seems so unparent-like.