Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Was Rick justified in killing Bob #2?

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Alina, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The guy was still a prisoner with his hands tied and represented no direct threat to Rick or the group. Hell, he's now just been hit by a car so he's even less of a threat. Rick executed him for failing to follow Rick's orders. That crosses the line in my opinion (though it's clear Rick's been itching to off someone ever since they ran into the cops). I don't think Rick was justified in killing Bob #2 and that it was a dumb act in that it added further complication to an ambiguous situation. He should have just picked up Bob #2 and said "C'mon Bob, don't try that again. If you want to live don't run."

2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I think he broke his neck. It was a mercy killing.

3. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Did the loss of that extra bargaining chip lead ultimately to Beth's death?

4. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

Bob 2.0 had plenty of opportunities to stop. That sniveling "I think you broke my back" got no sympathy from me. And if his back was broken, then Rick was going to have to haul him around and deal with those logistics, plus listen to him piss and moan all day. Just stop, Bob. Get in the car and thank the heavens your stupidity didn't get you killed. Just how far did you think you'd get surrounded by rotters and your hands cuffed behind your back?

5. Lupey

Lupey Member

Can't go back Bob.

6. lurkers&roamers

I don't think he was. How hard would it have been to just drive in front of him and cut him off, as opposed to just hitting him. The guy posed no real threat, and he seemed like a decent guy as far as I could tell. He was just scared.

7. cakebythepound

He was pretty useless at that point with a broken back. He could've let the walkers get him, but shooting him was actually more humane.

8. Brainsouffle

Brainsouffle New Member

Yup, Rick was a cop, Bob2 was a cop. When you are being pursued by a cop & YOU DON'T STOP-get ready for a beatdown. I'm sure 'all you had to do was stop' is said a lot by the police. I loved the irony in this scene!

9. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

So wait...a guy that just knocked out Sasha and was potentially going to spoil their plan to rescue everyone without loss of life is still on the run and won't stop when you give him ample opportunity..??? Yeah off him. Why let him have another chance to betray you?

10. Equinox

Equinox New Member

Can't go back, BOB.

11. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Arguably. Dawn obviously wanted to walk away from the deal feeling like she'd got the better end of the deal. If they'd exchanged 3 of hers for 2 of theirs she might have felt that she'd got her due. But whatever went on in the deal doesn't mean that Beth would have suddenly grown connections between her synapses and stopped behaving like a school girl who stabbed the girl next to her in class in the thigh with a pencil because she read on facebook that she'd dissed her boyfriend.

If I'd been Rick I would have said "Listen to me, bitchypoo. You see here a bunch of unwashed, battle-hardened survivors who just escaped from cannibals. We've got our sniper Sasha here (Sasha, big guy, left ear), we've got our automatic weapons compared to your pistols, we've got a redneck with a bad attitude, we've got Queen Bitch Carol who just blew up an entire terminus. And when my girlfriend gets here you're going to be really scared when she scowls. She's going to disintegrate your authority with a stare. So you're in no position to negotiate here. We're leaving. Back me up gang, if they show the least threat, mow them the f*ck down."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Technically, I feel like I should not be condoning or justifying Rick for what he did (not the shooting part, that was inevitable at that point with the broken back, but for running him over in the first place).

But at the same time I can't bring myself to say that he was wrong. I don't condone the Termites eating and raping other people for example, that's a whole different story. But I do think that in the scenario they are in right now they have to watch their backs. I mean, look at what happened when Rick let the others convince him to leave the Termites alone, Bob ended up dying because of it. Or Tyreese letting the cabin guy live.

The thing is, we as viewers have a different perspective but put yourself in Rick's shoes: he has no idea who these people are or if they are really telling the truth. This goes both ways of course and Lamson was just trying to save himself, but it seems like the deeper they get into the apocalypse the less they think before they act. And there's really no saying if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I guess it depends on the situation.

Rick could have cut him off instead of running him over, Lamson could have stopped, Lamson could have avoided running in the first place, it could have gone in so many different ways. But even though I don't think I should be condoning Rick I can't say I feel like judging him either.

13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Rick gave him a chance to stop running. He didn't. Although Sasha only got a cut and bruise, her head could've gone through the glass and she could've died. The guy had enough chances at that stage and clearly couldn't be trusted.

14. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Definitely justified. In a world with law he wouldn't be. But in a post-apocalyptic world yes. The man was a threat, and had just assaulted a member of Rick's group while being a prisoner. He should've stopped. And on the other side Bob was justified in assaulting Sasha. He doesn't know these people, and had every right to try and escape.

15. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

She would've wanted Noah no matter what. That would've made four people for two. They should've followed Rick's original plan and went in quiet. The decisions that lead to Beth's death belong to Daryl, Ty, Dawn and Beth herself. That's how I see it.

16. Walker Caravan

Torn at first until he said "Shut up". Then I thought it was the wrong move. If he had said "Damn it" then maybe.

17. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

First off this individual did represent a very direct threat, when he head-butted Sasha and started to run.
    Whether he had a plan, or not.

Second of all Rick told him more than once to stop.
    Not just once or twice, not even three times...
    FOUR times he told this man to stop.
    As he got behind him he grabbed the car's mike that leads to the PA system and he said "STOP"
    Then again he said "stop right now", and one more time he said stop...
    It came through the car's exterior PA system, you can hear it loud and clear.
    Granted it was all in quick succession, he wasn't playing but the runner could've have gathered as much.
    And then he said "I won't ask again"

FOUR times he told this man to stop.

Still the dude ran like he had hearing problems, just kept running like he was possessed.
    But he knew because when Rick stomped the accelerator and the engine roared to life he says "Oh shit!"
    Yet not once did he stop pounding the pavement with his feet, oh no, why do that?

I found the actual impact almost comical.

#17 8307c4, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  18. target tony

target tony Member

yes he was justified. since bob wouldn't stop and rick bashed him he's no good with a broken back. he should have left him for the walkers to eat.

and yes if they had followed ricks plan Beth might not have gotten capped, but who cares she was worthless and a waste of resources. the group was more justified getting carol back then Beth.

19. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

In our world, I'd say nope, no way was he justified.

In the world of the story? Kind of a gray area, but Bob2 had knocked out one of the group, after they had been treated relatively well (yes, they were prisoners, but had not been harmed or treated badly).

In the end, Rick killing him was a mercy, he could have left him for the walkers and didn't. If his back was broken, his chances at the hospital wouldn't have been very good either as a waste of resources.

20. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

i dont think it was rick's intention to kill him at first. after he ran into him and saw the shape he was in, he realized it wasn't worth it to try to save this guy's life and he gave him a quick and painless death. This is the new Rick Grimes - one that makes the tough decisions with no remorse.