Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"We are The Walking Dead"

Discussion in 'Episode 510 - Them' started by RoboLives, Feb 16, 2015.

1. the walking jet

i found it a bit convoluted but powerful never the less..

i did find it cool that a famous quote from the comics made the TV show..

2. Komodia

Komodia Member

I felt the same way with Daryl's response but seems like its something to get use to for this season, scenes and lines that just don't mesh well.

3. o1pickleboy

o1pickleboy Member

I took Rick speech as they got to stop thinking they are going to live and give up that fear of dying and do what has to be done and they will survive until the time they are safe enough to live.

4. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

...yup

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It's great to see iconic comic moments on screen when they fit, but I agree that this speech felt forced and out of place. They used the "This isn't a Democracy" line at the end of Season 2 instead. And I was fine with that since it fit Rick's demeanor at that time. So they should've just left this speech out. It's not as if this show is a carbon copy of Kirkman's work. Just one quick glance at the cast list alone brings that point home.

6. the walking jet

excellent explanation..

7. Hershell Walker

it would have been better if, as he was saying it, he turned to the camera and winked. :zombies_lol:

8. SZQ

SZQ Member

I liked the point/counterpoint, but Rick's immediate agreement with Daryl is what felt off to me.

9. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I kind of agree. If Rick had just said "We are the walking dead" then it would have been weird. But Rick wasn't really saying that it's what they are. He was saying that they have to pretend like they are in order to survive. So it makes sense that he was agreeing with Daryl. It was a very awkward exchange though.

10. SZQ

SZQ Member

Agreed. I took Rick's speech as a way to get through this like Grandpa. Be grateful every day you wake up, tell yourself to RIP, then get to war. Rinse. Repeat. When it is over, it will be over no matter the outcome.

11. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Yeah it felt like he was backtracking what he just said, and so made the point moot.

Totally didn't like Daryls response - would have been more effective to have Daryl just get up silently and walk away, not sure what to say or make of the speech = which I thought was pretty great IMHO.

12. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one. I didn't get "we are the walking dead". As Chris asked on TTD, is Rick the worst motivational speaker ever? YES to that question. The group is NOT dead. Judith is not dead. Carl is not dead. Even if everyone in the group feels dead, then what the hell's the point? Living depressed, dark, dead until you actually die? I call BS on that one. Every human being will die. The fact there is a virus in their brain which could re-animate them is neither here nor there. They are in a WAR for survival. They deserve to live as long as their natural live span will allow if they can. They are not dead. They are very, very much alive. R

ick should be ASHAMED!! (and piss on his grandfather's story and his mis-extrapolation of it to the situation they' re in. ) What sick-a$$ kind of message is this for Carl & Judith? Sorry, some family stories should just not be repeated.

13. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

I didn't take it that he was telling them that they had to pretend to be dead in order to survive, I took it more as that they had to be prepared for death every day because it is always around the corner, which is true. They can't be fearful of the situation they are in because they can't change it. I think it was more an acceptance of their fate, as it was for his grandfather when he was in the war. There is no guarantee that they are going to make it out of this alive, but if they do, they will learn to live again. Then again, I have to watch the episode again because I wasn't expecting the big speech at that moment and more or less missed Daryl's reaction to it.

14. R.V Walker

R.V Walker Member

He should of just said who are you Aristotle or sumething ?

15. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

Lol he was joking about that.

You really don't have to get why Rick said it, they put that in there because it was such a iconic quote from the comics. (I know it says you haven't read the comics) It's kinda like "They're screwing with the wrong people" People didn't like it because they didn't say F*ck, but the situation was perfect.

I dont really see what's wrong with the grandfathers story part either. He was talking about how his Grand daddy did what he had to do to survive and it compared nicely to the situation they are in. People complain about some bad dialogue in this show, but this was a very good piece of dialogue from Rick imo. It wasn't like all his other speeches where he spoke out loud like in 213, 315, or 408, it was just a very calm pep talk during a storm, it shows how much Rick has changed.

#35 Gaycandybacon, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  16. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Yaknow, I think it might have been better for Michonne to respond instead of Daryl. Let's not forget that Michonne has lived the way that that Rick described. She lived among the dead for a long time, and now she wants to settle. For her to respond to that, to disagree with Rick's statement, could have been powerful.

I still feel like Daryl's response was a bit out of character for him and not really consistent with his behaviour in the rest of the episode.

17. Gaycandybacon

Damn that actually does make sense now that I think about it. I remember when she was talking to Carl in 416 and she said she was "just another monster" and that "she was gone for a loooong time". This might of worked better if she said it indeed. Maybe even both of them coulda said it because Derle and Michonne were loners for a while.

#37 Gaycandybacon, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  18. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

my Dixonne tentacles are fluttering!

19. Elly F.

Elly F. Member

Couldn't agree more. just plain bad timing and a waste!

P.s. I'm from Lowell, and still digging out! I like to see people from my area, and one who understands our winter this year is even better! Hi!

20. Gaycandybacon

So are my Dixonne Testicles.