Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"We are The Walking Dead"

Discussion in 'Episode 510 - Them' started by RoboLives, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Lol

Rick: "We are the walking dead"

Daryl and Michonne in unison: "We ain't them"

*Daryl and Michonne glance at each other and wink*

Carl: "You guys gonna bang or what…?"

2. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I think Daryl was also "the walking dead" but before the apocalypse started. He was just going through the motions of life. No ambition. Following Merle. Not really thinking or caring. This crazy world actually woke him up and he doesn't want to go back to that.

3. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

Carl's gonna have a tough time deciding who's gonna be his new mommy in the future between these 2.

4. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Exactly right! Daryl wants to feel. Even if it's hard and painful. He can't just go through being numb anymore. At least that's what I hope he got out of it, I guess only time will tell.

5. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Auntie Michonne and Uncle Daryl. Duh. lol.

6. R.V Walker

R.V Walker Member

Or he could of said

You're granfarther sounds like a rich prick

7. R.V Walker

R.V Walker Member

i bet he collected artsy fartsy painting and stuff

8. SZQ

SZQ Member

The speech from EW:

“When I was a kid, I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn’t answer. He said that was grown up stuff, so…. So I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him, but he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up he told himself, ‘rest in peace—now get up and go to war.’ And then after a few years of pretending he was dead, he made it out alive. And that’s the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do, and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC I know we’ll be okay, because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves that we are the walking dead.”

#48 SZQ, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. R.V Walker

R.V Walker Member

we aint them

10. rustybag

rustybag Member

I liked the grandfather story. It makes sense that under extreme stress, if your childhood was a decent one and you had strong people to identify with, you would draw from what you learned from those family members to help get you through your current situation. I thought his speech was meant to be helpful. A certain mindset helped his grandfather get through WWII, and he was sharing this personal info to inspire the group when they are at a low point.

But I guess they are all struggling to come to terms with the past, and with who they are in the present moment, so I could see how some of the group members would take what Rick said the wrong way, especially Daryl. I also thought Rick repeating back to Daryl "we're not them?" was giving Daryl a chance to explain himself, but Daryl's not exactly one to talk about his feelings and ran off..he probably feels more comfortable crying by himself, like we saw when he was by himself near the barn, burning himself with the cigarette. At least Carol got to talk to him a little bit this episode. I feel bad for Daryl.

11. R.V Walker

R.V Walker Member

In ww2 They sang "were here because were here because were here" over and over til they didn't question it

12. Spartangal22

Spartangal22 Member

I liked both the speech and Daryl's response, and didn't feel like they contradicted each other. I think it has to do with the mindsets they had coming into the apocalypse. Rick went from a civilized, rule-abiding world to one where he is willing to kill anyone to keep his group alive. He is done with fear and had to shed all the rules of his former life. For him, everything that came before is dead, and he can't return to that until they are safe. So, for now, he is the walking dead - willing to do anything just to keep from being the actual dead a little longer.

Daryl, as many have pointed out, was on the outskirts of society to begin with, and has always just been focused on surviving. To him, admitting to being dead in anyway is admitting defeat. To Rick, though, it's necessary to do the things he has to do to survive. It's just a different mindset, and I think it was kind of cool to have Rick's speech and Daryl's rebuttal said back to back, just to emphasize how different people cope with their situation.

It would be interesting to see who in the group agreed with whom. As someone mentioned, I think Michonne would lean towards Daryl's viewpoint, whereas Carol might agree more with Rick. No idea on Glenn or Maggie. Thoughts?

#52 Spartangal22, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I think that Maggie, Abraham, Sasha, Carl, Noah, and Carol would agree with Rick while Tara, Rosita, Gabriel, Eugene, Michonne, and Judith would agree with Daryl. Glenn would just be happy to be asked his opinion.

But really I'm not sure about Glenn. Before this episode I would have put him on the side of Daryl but after his talk with Rick in this episode, he may think more like Rick now.

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

So much good dialogue here! I loved this episode, so well done. I think Ricks speech was great (although for some reason I thought he had already said this famous line sometime in season 2 or 3- probably from cruising the forums and seeing it in someones signature) although I had to rewind it to hear Darryl's response and confirm that he said the same thing twice, I think his response of "we ain't them" was perfect although i do get what ppl mean when they say it kind of disrupted the flow, or threw off ricks speech. Daryl had to say it because this season and the back half of s4 for him has been all about not shutting down, not closing himself off the what there is left of this life, Beth really made him see that you have to have hope in "still" and "alive" and after carol told him he had to feel his grief, it reaffirmed that to honour Beth he can't give up. He won't be the walking dead. Like someone already meantioned in his life before the ZA he was closer to being the walking dead and now he has a family and has felt love and can't shut life out. It's been kind of his theme with him saying "we ain't ashes", "we ain't dead," and now "we ain't them" i know that's already been mentioned as well but I love the continuality with his character this season. I was worried about what was going to happen to Daryl after Beth died, thinking he would retreat into himself and completely shut everyone out. That's one reason I love carol so much, she saw that too and wouldn't let him do it. Him crying for Beth in the episode was very important for him. So many good scenes.

15. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

We are The Walking Bread.

16. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443794770.570858.jpg
    This was 100% my reaction haha. It actually distracted from the drama because my subconscious took on the voice of Peter Griffin.