Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

We have a Muslim character!

Discussion in 'Episode 713 - Bury Me Here' started by Lindigo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Nice!! Way to go, writers! And I love seeing that they understand wearing a hijab is a personal choice for American Muslim women. Thumbs up, costumers!

Nabila is a Muslim girl's given name meaning happiness, generosity. (from a quick google search.)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

IN all honesty we do not know if she is muslim. She might still carry the veil out of pure routine. This kind of apocalypse would probably kill most peoples religion, or have them question it. Even the priest was unsure for so long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

that's true. i'm meeting a Muslim fried FRIEND! this weekend to see this year's Bouquets to Art at the de Young. i'll ask her how she imagines the ZA would impact her faith. :D

i fixed the typo. sorry about that!

#3 Lindigo, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. a.t.a.k.i.t.h

a.t.a.k.i.t.h Member

pandering

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

You're meeting a "fried" Muslim?

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. smurfeNn

smurfeNn New Member

Who the f--k would still believe in a religion when there's an actual zombie apocalypse going on? I don't even understand why people do today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Well, I won't go so far as to say that people will stop believing in their religions. Faith will still exist. But, wearing the hijab - yeah right. Pure bullsh*t! The show just wanted attention with that sh*t.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

I like em extra crispy myself!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I don't see it that way...I think some would still wear it for comfort regardless of whether their beliefs are shaken by the ZA. Look at Father Gabe and his white little neck tie, and the fact that he still hangs out in the church. Is that pandering too?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I don't see it as pandering. This show has always shown diversity without making a big deal out of it. I personally did not even think there was a Muslim aspect until this thread appeared.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Chaos

Chaos Member

"wearing the hijab - yeah right. Pure bullsh*t! The show just wanted attention with that sh*t"

A show has a a christian clergy person wearing religious garb as a character, no big deal. A incidental wearing of something Muslim is a reason to flip out? You need help.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Exactly. Its only pandering when its someone different from ourselves, right. ;). The reality is likely that many people would have their religions strengthened by this type of apocalypse. Some would see it as a fulfillment of prophecy even. And there would be people who would hold on to those beliefs and try to keep up traditions. It would be more surprising if, out of the several hundred people we've seen on the show so far, not ONE of them was wearing religious garb.

Its not 'pandering'. Its just called 'people different from us'. ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

She lives in a freakin place ruled by a KING. To me it's not a stretch there will still be religious people there. If people are religious in today's world I don't see how it's much more of a stretch to be so during a ZA.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Well FTWD has done a pretty good job of showing how other cultures are dealing with the ZA, like the Mexicans for example.

And I also didn't notice the woman was supposed to be muslim till I saw this thread. Maybe not outright pandering, but there was a strong focus on this character for that scene, so I'm sure there was some kind of message to be had.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Neuropyramidal

Or maybe she's just different from us. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I was about to say exactly this. Like, if the zombie apocalypse happens, is it realistic to believe that it will wipe out all Muslims (and POC, and gay people, and transgender people, etc., etc., etc.)? No, there will be a cross-section of the population in a given area who will survive. This is just common sense, not "pandering."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Neuropyramidal

Right. Especially considering they are living just outside of Washington D.C. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Exactly. In areas like D.C. or here in the Greater Toronto Area, you are likely going to have at least one of everybody in a given survivor group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Neuropyramidal

Right. I've been in several groups of 30 random people in my life, and always, every time, there is someone who actually likes Liverwurst. Every time!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I gotta say, now that I think about it, it was Nabila who informed Ezekiel that they would have to burn the royal garden to get rid of boll weevils. Back in the day, the term "Boll Weevils" referred to Southern Democrats who resisted integration and voting rights for minorities.

So there's some symbolism here. Only the writers know for sure if that was intentional.

#20 westwingnut, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4