Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Well, I guess Shane right...

Discussion in 'Episode 304 - Killer Within' started by Zombie Lover, Nov 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Well, I guess Shane was right...

Shane said that Rick didn't have what it takes to keep Lori and Carl safe. This is why he wanted to get Rick out of the way, so he could step up and be that man. Now that Lori's gone, do you think Shane was right?

I like Rick, but I'm not completely confident in his abilities and decision making.

#1 Zombie Lover, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  2. RarreKZ

RarreKZ Well-Known Member

I don't believe it's Rick's fault, it was Andrew who cut the gate open with the axe..

3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

not to get off your real subject.....but......

I don't think this was entirely Shane's reasons for wanting Rick out of the way. He was insane and wanted what he couldn't have and it drove him to the point where he would stop at nothing to make them something he COULD have. I think keeping them safe might have been his motive at the beginning, but it quickly morphed into something darker.

4. Zombie Lover

No, I don't doubt that he became twisted and had other reasons for wanting them to himself as well. But, I think having been responsible for them while Rick was at the hospital, then having to relinquish that position back to Rick, made him critical of how Rick went about protecting them. He recognized a certain weakness in Rick and felt he could do a better job. I honestly don't think Shane would've even tried to cut a deal with the prisoners. I could see him just killing them right off the bat, eliminating the threat, and leaving no chance for Andrew to do what he did.

#4 Zombie Lover, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  5. Zombie Lover

Rick didn't make sure Andrew was dead when he had the chance.

6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Shane only wanted Lori and Carl; he never cared about the rest of the group.

Lori regretted her affair with Shane, and hated him for lying to her, but she kept buying his lies.

Carl looked up to Shane, but Shane could never replace Rick.

Shane's final description of the two reveal what he really thought of them: Lori was "a broken woman," with no idea of what she wanted in life. Carl was a "weak boy," a good kid, but too soft like Rick.

7. Chreees

Chreees Member

I'm not sure how Shane could have done anything differently than Rick to end up with a different result than what happened...

8. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. Rick wasn't around, so he couldn't have done anything. Shane wouldn't have been around either. Either way, Lori was split up from Hershel and was doomed.

9. WalkerAbeSimpson

Agreed Rick has been at fault for most of this groups problems he's not a good leader he's just bossy. Assuming somebody who tried to kill him was dead based on a scream was yet another foolish mistake. Just like not properly locking down their block so they had a 100% safe fall back point. Just like taking your 7 best fighters to simply move a couple cars leaving the weakest people with only Carl defending.

10. UndeadMauldo

UndeadMauldo Member

They say you reap what you sow, or what goes around comes around. With Shane's methods, I'm not so sure they would have even made it to the prison.

11. WalkerAbeSimpson

If karma was a driving force the Governor would have been long gone and Dale would still be here.

12. Killermolls

Killermolls Member

Well its not like either man could have totally prevented the fact that Lori went through dangerous labor.
    Basically what I'm saying is that neither of them are magical wizards that can save a woman from complicated birth.

#12 Killermolls, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. UndeadMauldo

UndeadMauldo Member

I'm not talking about karma, I don't believe in that crap anyway. I mean Shane was a hothead and an idiot, that's why he died as early as he did, and he probably would have never made it to the prison. The Governor, based on what I have seen, is not an idiot and certainly not a hothead. And Dale was just plain stupid wondering around in the dark by himself with walkers lurking around.

14. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Member

I don't think Rick is at fault for anything. Rick is doing the best he can with what he has got, and he has taken it upon himself to look out for the safety and welfare of the group. Yes there have been casualties, but these people are at war and it is crazy to think that all these people would make it to the end and die of old age. Shane was a selfish self centered person who was only about himself and what he could do to make himself survive.

Rick made the prison as safe as he could and it was not his fault the walkers got back in. And it definitely was not his fault what happened to Lori.

All in all I would rather have Rick on my team any day of the week. The guy is not afraid to make Decisions and that is what these people need. If he was that bad of a leader why has there not been a mutiny?

15. undeadchick

undeadchick Member

I think Lori would have died either way, with or without the zombie attack. But in response to t-dog's death: Ts not ricks fault, but he does indirectly hold some responsibility. I think he will definitely learn from this experience and no longer make an execution-by-zombie mistake!

16. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

Off topic: Other than plot point, why did Andrew come back? If he got an axe he could have gotten pretty far and he obviously had no issue dealing with walkers.

On topic: Just as the coach is ultimately responsible for a team loss, or a General responsible for a soldier's death, Rick has been responsible for every death(and dismemberment) since "taking over". In my opinion he's still too much Rick and not enough Shane. Shane would have killed or locked up the prisoners(probably remembering that he's a cop), I also would like to think that Andrea would still be with the group. However if his back were against the wall, Shane would sacrifice any member of the group to save himself/the group. Given my "druthers" I'll take Rick as the leader. But if I had to put up with him crying I'd probably shoot him myself.

17. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

OK as I see it, if Shane had killed Rick these things would have happened.
    Shane would have went back and claimed Randal killed Rick.
    Glen and Daryl would have pointed out that was impossible.
    The group would have fractured.
    Shane would have rallied against his loosing so much power over the group and would have tried intimidation.
    Shots fired to intimidate.
    Herd hears them.
    Hershel dies defending his Farm.
    Farm lost.
    Group does NOT re-gather.
    Most if not all die in the following months.
    If they found a safe haven, Lori would've died because there was no Hershel or anyone trained by Hershel.
    End result WORSE.

18. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Bossy? Remember that Rick never forced these people into staying with them. He told them they could leave, but they stay and choose to follow Rick's orders. He told them he may not be the best leader and it was their choice, but if they stayed they would do things his way.

Although the show hasn't gone that far with it yet, the character of Rick has always been a reluctant leader. In fact, he would prefer to not be a leader at all. The people around him gravitate toward him and force him into being their leader.

19. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

Yeah if Shane had killed Rick at the end of season 2 the show would be done.

20. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this at all. Dale and everyone else in that group had spent a long time at a farm that they considered at the time to be a "safe haven". He also wasn't very far away from the campsite when this happened. There were also plenty of times that others "wandered around in the dark" (and in the light) in that season and didn't come across a thing. Dale's death was a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.....which you can say for a lot of the deaths during this show.