Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Were Two Time Jumps Needed?

Discussion in 'Episode 905 - What Comes After' started by Weallgotit, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

We've talked a lot about the time jumps but I don't think most of us have really stated if we think they were necessary. For me neither one was really. Even though I am aware it was done in the comics.

With the first one. So much was left unresolved from the war after 18 months? Gregory's revenge plot, Michonne's charter, the Saviors demanding guns, Maggie's justice, Negan crying for Lucille and the bridge repair would all take 18 months to commence? I'm not saying it was the worst decision in the world but I just think most of those would be resolved way before 18 months. So the show could have continued after the war at the start of season 9 and still have all those things addressed as they have. Or at least just a couple of months after the war IMO.

As for this second one, why? Was it to show us Judith as a hat wearing, sword wielding, gun slinging 9 or 10 year old. So they had to have her grow up since Rick is now gone I guess. Which they don't have to do since the show can continue to be intriguing without Judith being a main character. So we don't get to see anyone mourn Rick or Judith ask Michonne when her dad is coming home? Okay. I'm sure it's just me but I think the character Rick Grimes deserved something like that for at least a couple of episodes. And no wonder we still got no definite signs from the Whisperers. They were 5 to 6 years away. Which is still unnecessary.

Anyway, I just don't think either time jump is enhancing the narrative for TWD universe. Let me know what you guys think of this.

2. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

I'm okay with it, I guess. Between bad guys, so no real storyline that we're in the middle of. The way time otherwise passes on this show, we could have a whole season - being weeks or months in actual calendar time - of sobbing and mourning. Bleh. For me, I'd rather just skip that.
    A big jump allows for/requires a hard reboot - which is a given losing The. Main. Character.

As I said in another thread, I really don't like the time jumps, but this one feels okay.

• Like Like x 4
  3. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

I’m trying to give it the benefit of the doubt however........

..... as of now I’m not digging the time jump. From the commercials it almost feels like a totally different show... and I want to see the pain and the emotions of the characters we know and love in those initial moments of Rick’s presumed death. Does Daryl have guilt for not bringing Rick to Alexandria? How is Michonne coping? Maggie? Carol? Negan even...

But hey they may touch upon these things. I really hope they show the raw emotion of these characters, not just when they’ve processed it all and healed to some degree

• Like Like x 2
  4. Weallgotit

See. I think those are all great questions you asked that will now have to be glossed over. I thought we would get at least one episode of the immediate aftermath. And we all felt it would be a different show without Rick before we knew about the time jump. They sure took care of any doubts on that front.

5. Funion The Barbarian

Funion The Barbarian Active Member

The big question should be, will Morgan and Crew roll up on Alexandria now.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

Yeah, and MoMo wil be all like:

"Hey, everybody, I'm ba--WHAT THE F?"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think they were both good ideas. 901 was a soft "new beginning" and they had to show that some time has passed and the communities have started mixing and working together on projects. Plus this way we get baby Hershel and no longer have to contend with the fact that Maggie is pregnant. [especially since we know Lauren Cohan's future...].

As for the second jump, I think it was good as well because this way we can skip too much Rick aftermath. They want to market this season as a New Beginning and it would be hard to do that dealing with the immediate aftermath of Rick's "death". Or death from their standpoint. So they decided to jump. And if they are going to do a significant jump, they probably figured why not make it several years, this way we can have Judith be a real, fleshed out, character.

I'm fine with both.

#7 Neuropyramidal, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

It is entirely possible that the time jumps would be filled in by movies?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the time jump after the war too much, but I agree that some of those issues would have come to a head much earlier. With Rick being a former lawman I would have thought the Charter idea or a penal code would have been one of the first things they worked on. The sentimental side of me would have liked to see Maggie being handed her baby for the first time.
    Time will tell about the second one, the previews look good and if they are as good as the other episodes this season I'll be happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Bigger time jump is necessary for 2 reasons.
    1. When the main character departs, remaining ones need to have a bigger change. I mean, the character of characters need to be changed, some becoming stronger and some might become less so. And, the change/development needs to be dramatic enough in order to make the show more interesting to hook on the viewers' desire to find out more about what changes there are. No one would want to see the same old Michonne, same old Carol, same old Daryl...etc
    Eg, we see in the trailer that Michonne is much hardened and we just cannot expect that to happen overnight after Rick's departure. Same with Eugene. We will see these changes in the next 3 episodes, in order to set up for Season 10.
    The biggest change is, of course, Judith. I bet that this character will become significant as the plot develops. A 3-year old toddler Judith just cannot have much story.

2. This is Season 9 and 9 years do a lot of facial change to the actors/actresses. So, a bigger time change allows them not having to put on so much makeup on their faces to make them look younger....lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. Weallgotit

Several good points have been made on the topic. I still feel that second jump could have happened a couple of episodes later. I wonder what old Negan had to say about Rick's death.

On another note, it looks like we may never see characters like Dwight, Sherry, Heath and Georgie again. Who knows?

12. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would be interesting to see Negan's reaction to Rick's death. And while I don't need to see several episodes of people dealing with the immediate aftermath of it, I agree the impact of it should have received more than a couple minutes before revealing he's really alive, just gone. I loved the episode, there's nothing I saw that I hated but I feel like the ending was geared more towards promoting the upcoming made-for TV Rick movies (which I'm also looking forward to) than respecting the loss of the character. Even though Rick is alive...somewhere...it's the end of an era, for fans and our gang, and I wanted a little time to grieve that with them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I don't mind two time jumps, but it does seem like a weird choice.

Like, they could have gotten away with the 6 year time jump between season 8 and 9 and pretty much nothing would've changed.

14. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I think both were absolutely necessary

1st one for rebuilding after the war and to show the types of issues they were facing. I dont think all of these stories had to be wrapped up on TV other than Rick's.

The 2nd one they had to have if they didnt want the story to center around Rick which it still would have after his death it we were to see what happened right after

• Like Like x 1
  15. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah the disappearance of Dwight really bothers me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

that will only be acceptable if the crew consists of Alicia

17. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

The time jump either is or isn't. I don't begrudge the time jump as long as the story is interesting. I guess I"m indifferent to it.

18. Weallgotit

Not to change your mind or anything. But in regards to the first jump. Those stories were wrapped up on the show. The thing is they should have been done much sooner than 18 months later. No big deal. I just think such a big time jump was not needed for those plot points. As for the 2nd one. The show would not have centered around Rick because he is no longer there. It would center around his loved ones looking for him and struggling with the realization they may never find him. Or they give in to the dreaded belief that he is dead. Not for the whole season but for one or two episodes is all.

19. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

Would Maggie confronting a broken Negan have been as impactful if it was only 2 months later instead if 18?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Weallgotit

Yes. If he really loves that bat as the representation of his wife the way he says he does, it wouldn't take him that long to be broken up about it. And Maggie, not definitely but likely would not have taken so long to try exacting justice on her husband's killer. One could say that after 18 months she could have forgiven him or even said he's still locked up but it's no longer worth the effort.