Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Weren't the heads too "mellow"?

Discussion in 'Episode 915 - The Calm Before' started by Woodstock, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

I'm going to start by saying that I found the pike reveal scene to be absolutely heartbreaking and perfectly executed. The music, the way the scenes between people looking for their friends/companions preceded the pike reveal, the reactions to seeing the heads, the way the mouths were moving, I honestly don't think it could have been done better (except maybe the part where Lydia goes to Ezekiel, but that's for a different thread).

However, shouldn't the heads have been more animated/aggressive? I mean, I get that the subtle movement of the mouth fit the scene very well and was "just right" (a slight movement makes the scene more impactful than absolutely no movement, whereas a loud, growling head would have been just too much probably) but until now I don't think we've ever seen a zombie acting that way. Maybe the first few moments in which they start to wake up but even then it usually only takes a few minutes to go full "growling, jaw snapping" zombie mode (and I doubt the heads had only just been put on the pikes, they must have been there for a while). If I remember correctly, the zombies Negan had put up on the fence were much more loud and active.

Again, I think the the subtle movements and soft murmuring were much better considering how the scene was filmed and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, it just doesn't seem to be "realistic" (in the fake zombie world, lol).

#1 Woodstock, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I agree, it would have been more aggressive. But, like you said as well..........I am just going to go with the subtle gentle version for impact. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Is certainly a fair point

I do think the more subtle approach garnered a deeper emotional impact. The adage of less is more certainly held true in this episode. The mellow walkers for one but also that we did not have to bear witness to the actual killings. The reveal was far more heart wrenching in the way it was handled.

#3 Dnae, Mar 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think the slight movement of the mouth is just about right in terms of zombie biology.
    I mean, the heads were piked. Those pikes were very much likely to poke upward deep into the brain area, rendering the heads completely dead. But, perhaps to increase the visual and emotional impact, the lips were given slight movement (instead of full growling).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Definitely, I couldn't have handled that. This scene is so, so different from when Negan killed Abe and Glenn, they are like polar opposites. And I am soooooo glad we found out in episode 15 and that they didn't do it in the finale - or worse - leave it as a cliffhanger again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Ok, I can buy that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Angela Kang's season 9B big moment is head and shoulders above Gimple's season 7A big moment.

I had to.

Too soon?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Nope, nope, not at all. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

To me, the heads had just the right amount of movement. Any more and they would have been typical Walker heads. They needed to have movement to show that the whisperers didn't put them down but they needed to look "sad". The group and the audience needed to see the sadness in those faces. That way we all saw the character and not a Walker.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Rodney's head managed to pass all the other heads a doobie with his lips. Is that still a thing? Do the kids still call it a doobie? For some reason I have a hard time picturing someone like Madison Lintz being like "hey...pssstt.....hey!....you got any doobies?"

I didn't have a problem with the animation of the heads really. Remember Milton said that when you take away a walkers ability to attack they go into a more docile state. Of course he also removed the jaw, but decapitating it is the same idea. And Michonne moving the arms and jaw made them very subdued. Hershel's head on the ground when Michonne found it was pretty groggy too. We've seen active heads too when they are stimulated, like the heads in the cabin that "Brian", Martinez and the gang found, but if not actively stimulated, most disembodied heads we have seen in the past have been kind of like "meh...ok....grrrrrrrr...see I growled, now go away".

#10 Neuropyramidal, Mar 26, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

In that they succeeded, they really did look sad, incredibly sad, that is what touched me the most. They may have fought to the death but they also looked so vulnerable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

I had totally forgotten about Milton saying that, and the rest too (Michonne’s walkers were indeed very subdued).

Doobie and last line gave me a good laugh, LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1