Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What about the bodies on the highway?

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - What Lies Ahead' started by Loc, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Mennzy

Mennzy New Member

I thought that too, and that the body Daryl covers himself with doesn't seem to have had any head trauma

2. HisMrs

HisMrs Member

I think the head trauma thing makes sense, but I also think there's the possibility that some people may be immune to whatever the virus/disease is.

3. Ewan

Ewan Member

I'm guessing most died and just decomposed. Or maybe if they were zombies, they weren't smart enough to figure out how to escape the cars and died.

4. zombiedad1983

zombiedad1983 Member

Normal dead people decying in the cars

Not really sure if this was talked about already, I was off the forum for almost a month.

Why are there dead people in the cars on the highway. My buddy thinks they were trapped in the cars and starved. I dont think that is plausable. If you look at the bicycle lady, she's not eating anyone, but still is a zombie moving around. His point was valid until we find out everyone is infected(WE ARE THE WALKIND DEAD).

I've just been wondering about it. If its just one of those unexplained things or if it is realivent in some way. I have read the comics so I dont think its something to come.

5. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I believe in an interview it was stated that the dead people in the cars died of some kind of head trauma.

6. RicksRightHand

I think we agreed that the bodies that were in these cars must have died from some sort of head trauma, perhaps in crashing the cars. Reanimation can only take place with the brain intact.

Others speculated that they perhaps did reanimate at some point but they were strapped into their seats and sitting trapped in the car in the Georgia heat would fry the brain anyway.

7. Daniel Day

Daniel Day Member

That is correct. In the commentary for that episode(What Lies Ahead), Kirkman explained that they did indeed die from major head trauma. He also pointed out that there were only a few bodies still in the cars, most were empty.

8. BiggusD

BiggusD Member

I think the bolded part is the most important, since the idea that thousands of people in thousands of cars would die of some unexplained head trauma is ludicrous. That the few dead bodies still in the cars a month later did is perfectly viable, though, in the chaos that ensued when walkers started attacking the people trapped in the traffic jam. Those not already dead at that point would of course leave, most in a state of panic so they wouldn't grab much of the supplies they brought with them in the cars.

Not everything in TWD is illogical and added because of a necessary plot development ;)

I also partly agree with some of what is said in the bumped "TWD is awesome" thread
    In my opinion, this show is nothing short of brilliant. The way they get me to hate Shane even though he’s doing what’s technically the right thing all the time, the way they get me to despise Lori for being a woman who loves two men and can’t let either go, the way they get me to love Rick even though he’s a flawed man who often puts others needs ahead of the needs of his own family, how they make me adore an ignorant redneck whose heart and survival skills trump all, and how they made me so passionately care about a squatter and his son, a pizza delivery guy, a quiet little girl, a woman from a law firm, a CDC scientist, a farmer and his daughters, a retired old guy with my quirky flare for attire and the wisdom of ages, an abused housewife, and a little boy who never stays in the damn house.

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie"

I think this is true, but I dislike the ways with which they get their points across.​

9. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

It IS explained, but poorly in my opinion. Example: When we see the guy in the pickup truck, that Carl takes all the bladed weapons from, I don't believe the windshield or steering wheel column appear to be broken. What's more, an impact that would cause the kind of head trauma that would kill a person would have also sent the contents of the truck cabin flying toward the windshield, dashboard and floor. That clearly wasn't the case with the slightly tucked Bag-O-Blades Carl snatches from the dead guy.

Also, there's another scene where a rear seat passenger is dead and there is no sign of collision to the vehicle he/she is riding in.

Like I said, I believe the explanation is poor, at least as poor as their “timeline” explanation while even dialogue flies in the face of those explanations’, but I am willing to accept both in the big scheme of things due to the awesomeness of this show in so many other areas.

10. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

Removal of common every day logic probably helps as well!! :zombies_lol:

#30 HockeyMomChris, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  11. zombiedad1983

zombiedad1983 Member

Head trauma from a crash is a great way to explain it, and the fact that there were only a few in the cars is a good point also. I agree with those of you who find it weak but viable also. most of the cars are not even damaged and were in a massive traffic jam, so to get to a high enough speed to have head trauma seems unlikely.

All great points thanks for your opinions.

12. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Threads Merged

The head trauma idea works, but I still think it was just a bit of a goof in the set decoration...

13. rabscuttle1

look at the oxy clean guy, I forget his name. He died from a bump on the head if I remember correctly. Sometimes it doesn't take a hard blow to the head to kill.

14. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

He died from bumps, but not a bump on the head. He had a heart attack due to the use of Cocaine....

15. rabscuttle1

I didn't know that. After hearing that he died after hitting his head I didn't pay anymore attention to it. Guess he should've snorted thinner rails.

16. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

We REALLY need a "Like" button!! :)

17. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

They probably couldn't afford to damage them.

18. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I realize that this is the official explanation. But just as an alternative, I was wondering if the highway deaths could be explained with another type of accident. We saw that the military was bombing/napalming the city and shooting everyone in Rick's hospital. Both of which seemed like an over the top response.

So what if they had a plane (or there was a car) with a chemical in it that they hoped would kill the walkers and that plane had an accident. Let's say it dumped some chemical on the highway. If you were exposed to it, it could kill you too. So people would run from their cars, maybe try to drive away, or maybe sit inside and hope the chemical would dissipate. That might cause you to die from less trauma inside your car.

19. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Okaaayyy, so I watched this episode last night and I realize that there weren't as many bodies as I thought. But still, some seem like they wouldn't have died from a car accident. As far as the crashes that I saw, like the trailer on it's side, busted up cars, etc it looked ALOT like a big accident we had here on a local interstate when it was suddenly fogged in. There was smoke from a forest fire and the wind shifted which sent it and the fog right down on the interstate. Wow, what a mess that was.

20. Zombie Dragoness

Zombie Dragoness New Member

the thought of why they werent walkers popped up in my mind too when i first sawe this ep, & although there arent very many bodies, the ones in the cars could have had head trauma... it doesnt take much to damage the brain & they were do decomposed that it was hard to tell if they had lacerations or enything like that at a glance anyway, its not like the group went inspecting them close or anything f a look at them either.