Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What did you think of Travis's death?

Discussion in 'Episode 301 - Eye of the Beholder' started by and138, Jun 5, 2017.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

After two seasons of watching Travis come to terms with having to commit violence in order to survive -- first accepting the fact that he needs to put down the infected, and then eventually beating to death the jerks who killed Chris -- I figured when he died it would be due to some hesitation on his part, a reluctance to kill the living when he needed to. Or, maybe after coming around to being okay with having killed Brandon and Derek he'd die in a life-or-death battle with some bad guys, perhaps trying to save someone else. A death like that would make it feel as if his story had come full circle.

But nope, just shot randomly, which of course happens in an apocalypse -- people get killed for no good reason -- but I'm just wondering what the viewer is supposed to come away with. You can philosophize about pacifism vs. necessary violence all you want, but in the end you're just going to plunge to your death from a helicopter anyway?

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely felt cheated with how he went out. Just like I did with how Chris went out.

It's like....ok what was the point?

3. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

One might well ask that question of the whole Fear the Walking Dead spinoff, and indeed, of the main show itself. A interesting premise that doesn't really live up to its potential, no matter how they try to spin it. It's no Leftovers.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PepperAnn

I really need to catch up on that show. Even though it's over now. Lol

5. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

i was left not knowing if he even was dead or if he was going to have a dumpster miracle.

6. Biffster

Best TV series out there. The series finale got a 9.8 rating on IMDb. Justin Theroux, Carrie Coon and Amy Breneman and Christopher Eccleston are outstanding, as is everyone else, and the story will blow your mind.

The first episode of TWD also blew my mind, but that was many years ago now, and I think the novelty has worn off. I liked Kim Dickens as Chef in Treme, so I was predisposed to like her in Fear, and Frank Dillane is pretty cool, but I dunno. Travis was interesting when he was still trying to care about Chris, despite Chris's obvious sociopathic tendencies, but seeing him just fall out of the helicopter reminded me of rats trying to leave a sinking ship.

And for what it's worth, why don't they ever shut the damn doors in those helicopters so people don't fall out?

7. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

WHAAAAAAAAT? Travis died? gee way to spoil it and138......

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. PepperAnn

I loved the first season of The Leftovers and then got rid of HBO. Got it back last year, and have gotten through half the second season....and just haven't finished yet. Does everything tie up? Do we ever find out what happened to everyone? Lol

For me Alicia, Strand and especially Nick are my faves. Madison is growing on me but I hated her so much the first two seasons...it'll take a lot.

I have never understood why they are always open either. Lol

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

the Leftovers is a great show that had a specific story to tell, and quit when it was told.

And I thought it ended beautifully. My take on it was that Nora

Incidentally, Carrie Coon is in TWO shows this spring, both some of the best television around, and in BOTH shows she plays a character who for some reason is often not recognized by technology. Automatic doors not opening for her, computer terminals not recognizing her touch, etc. Just thought that was an interesting coincidence.

As for Travis' death, it was unexpected at that moment for sure. Was it a bad death? I don't really think so. In an apocalypse, death would often be random. And it was. How they handle the impact it leaves behind is more important.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

It was a really underwhelming death for a character that had so much development and growth through out the first two seasons. I'm kinda glad he's gone though, because now Maddie really has to step up as the protagonist that we were promised we were getting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Fear seems to like to kill their characters somewhat off screen.
    I also felt let down.

But I did enjoy the overall of both episodes. The wall walker kill was pretty awesome.

12. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad it happened. Travis was always dead weight on this show. Focusing more on the core Clark family of Nick, Alicia and Maddie is a much better angle for this show than trying to wedge Travis in there.

Now if only FTWD would stop introducing 500 new characters every episode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lupey

Lupey Member

Probably one of the worst killing off of a main character I have ever watched. It wasn't even a shock factor. It was "are you F'ng kidding me?" factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PepperAnn

The only let down was how they did it. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I went from watching the first couple of episodes in season 1 to then watching the Season 3 premier episodes without anything in between. It's interesting to read other opinions from people who have watched since season 1 because without knowing much about Travis, I actually liked him in this episode LOL. When he died I was like well that figures. So i am surprised to see quite a few people either didn't like him or were indifferent. I guess being his death episode, i must have caught him at his peak before they killed him off.

16. PepperAnn

He went through a moral compass phase in about as pussy-ish a way you could possibly imagine. Denying stuff, ignoring it, denouncing it. Even when it was right in front of his face and his wife was insisting. Mostly regarding his son Chris. The shit that happened to him in the back half of season 2 is what got us to the Travis you saw Sunday. Had he been that way through more of the series I would have been less indifferent at his death. Travis got to play a badass for about 3 episodes. Lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Biffster

Thing is, it's unusual to kill off one of your top-billed actors so early in the season. If it was Glenn there would be no end to the talk about it.

Which begs the question: if a guy who's head still works falls out of a helicopter and gets impaled on a tree in the middle of a forest but no one is there to hear him, does he still make that nomnomnomnom sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. PepperAnn

LMAO!!!!!

I think the first half of your post, speaks to the inability a lot of people have to getting close to these characters.

19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I didn't want to speak too soon, having seen so few episodes but that's exactly it for me lol. I connect so quickly with the characters on TWD. I try not to compare the two shows, but each character on TWD is so unique and has their own quirks. Even Rick & Michonne who are a little more...serious...than some of the others i was able to connect with because of their interactions with the other characters. It's harder to do that with FTWD lol. I can't figure out what it is! I'll keep watching...maybe putting them in a settled area will bring out some more of their personality quirks.

20. PepperAnn

Oh they were in settled areas a few times, and some of us chronic watchers are still having a difficult time. Lol

That being said, I think the show really picked up in the last half of last season. That and I ADORE Nick. And can't wait for the return of Ofelia. And Alicia has grown on me. And Strand ROCKS! So I am still a big fan.

• Like Like x 1