Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you keep your thermostat on?

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by TheWalkingHorn, Sep 27, 2015.

1. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call this a debate topic, more of a discussion. I am a moderately "green" person. I recycle all plastics, paper, and metals in my household. I live in an apartment, so I don't compost because I don't have one readily available to me. My thermostat is always kept at 78 degrees in the summer unless maybe I'm cooking and it's too hot to open up my patio door.

I don't change it when I sleep, which I know some people do. Here in Texas it's so freakin' hot outside that walking into a 78 degree room feels like a big drop in temperature. It always feels nice and cool to me. When I go into restaurants, stores, movie theaters, etc, I am always freezing. I don't know what they keep their ACs set at.

In the winter I usually keep the heat set around 70 degrees, and then if I'm cold at night I'll bump it to 72. I'm curious to know if they are about on par with what other people do.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think the humidity of the regional climate matters a lot. In NY, near the great lakes, where its pretty humid, most people like it a bit cooler than 78. I keep my air around 74, and addition to that, I keep a window air conditioner going in my bedroom.

In the winter I keep it about 68/69.

3. TheWalkingHorn

What is the humidity like there? Austin fluctuates a bit, but we're usually between 40-50% humidity here.

4. Neuropyramidal

Western NY averages low 70%, more like 80% in the morning.

5. TheWalkingHorn

omg that sounds terrible! Is everything just soggy all the time?

6. Neuropyramidal

There is a lot of dew in the morning. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

It's not only that. Age and body mass can play a part when it comes to comfort levels as well. I live in Western NY too and our home has central air. I prefer to keep my thermostat set at 76 in the summer because in our raised ranch, on the lower level in our "family" area it's always a few degrees cooler and anything colder than that is too cold for me if I'm just sitting at the pc or watching the tube. On the other hand my husband can stand it much colder and is quite comfortable but he outweighs me by about 100 pounds.
    In winter however, we keep things at 72 and will turn on a quartz heater if we need it. Go figure but when it's 10 degrees outside, it feels relatively comfy.
    As for the dew, we're waiting at the moment for things to dry out so we can mow the lawn but everything has been green all summer.

8. TexinOhio

TexinOhio Member

I have no say so with regards to the temp in our house. That's the girlfriends call and it's usually 74 which I'm good with.

9. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

you're a good B/F :)

10. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

The wall.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

12. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Im like you. I'm happy (chilly at times) at 70, but I'd rather just throw a sweatshirt on. My husband insists on keeping the AC at 73, even now. I feel like I live in a meat locker...and he is the one who bitches about the the bill.

13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the thermostat around 69-70ish, but if i didn't have a toddler and a fiance living with me, i would probably leave the heat off until it was like freezing cold in here. I really prefer things cool. I swear i descended from Antarcticans or something. I like summer if i'm going to do summery things outdoors, but aside from that i want it to get cold again.

14. Reina

Reina Active Member

68° during the day and 64° at night while I'm sleeping. Vaca temp or when I'm out of the house is usually 74°.

15. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Reina, why are you heating the house when you're not there? OH! That's your answer for the summer time. Derp.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Reina

Reina Active Member

Yes, lol. I don't have a winter usually. I like it cold, though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

We always leave the thermostat on set to like 60 in the winter and 78 in the summer if we aren't there. The goal is to keep the wood from warping, humidity not to get too high or low, etc. A bit of cost, but once damage is done, it can't be corrected.

18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Summer....when I am home I usually keep it at 71 or 72 with fans going in every room.

Not home I usually bump it to 74 through the month of May and then up to 76 from June through September.

Winter - I rarely use the heater during the so called winter so my electric bill is next to nothing from about November through April

19. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Winter: 69
    Summer: nothing unless it's really humid, then 77.

20. Newtbro

Newtbro Member

It really depends on the temperature outside. I usually like to keep it between 71 and 75. Not too hot, not too cold.