Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you rate this episode?

Discussion in 'Episode 502 - Strangers' started by Carl Grimes, Oct 16, 2014.

Tags:
?

Episode rating?

1. 10

11 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. 9

31 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. 8

47 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. 7

13 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. 4

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

7000/10 Hunters arc on screen. 8 otherwise haha

2. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

9/10. Excellent ep.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenix New Member

I rate it a 9. This is the best start to a season The Walking Dead has had in some time. I mean No Sanctuary was an action packed and explosive episode to kick off the new season, but this Strangers episode slowed the pace down somewhat like Walking Dead usually does. That's fine though, because I found this episode immensely interesting, with the introduction of Father Gabriel, his secrets, the whereabouts of Beth coming back into question and Bob getting abducted and having his leg amputated to feed Gareth and a bunch of vile cannibals that Father Gabriel might have something to do with. Also when will we see Morgan (from season 1) show up since he was shown after the credits of the last episode and what exactly happened to his son why he's not with him anymore? All of this should make for even more interesting episodes ahead.

#23 TPhoenix, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well C.G, I give this episode a 10.

It travelled along nice & safe-ish until boom, Bob's leg is roasting on a grill..

5. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

I really liked it. I voted 8. The change in pace was a relief

6. AAA

AAA Member

7. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Better than the contrived and heavily overrated slaughterfest that was 'No Sanctuary' but again it felt very style over substance. Angela Kang is not a good writer and seriously needs to either brush up on her skills like she did for 'Infected' or be replaced with someone better. The highlight of the episode for me was the direction from David Boyd and the editing. The Makeup I found to look very.. plastic and noticeably cheaper looking other than maybe one or two walkers in the flooded basement. My personal problem with the writing was how fake and forced a lot of lines seem despite some of the actors efforts. TWD these days feels like a tv show whereas in Season One and even some parts of Season Two it felt more real, the lines felt real (until the farm really got started, then the scripts just went godawful). There was not an ounce of subtlety in this entire episode which is what I enjpyed about some of Gimple's other episodes under his run. Did we really need to hear Gareth admit to eating people? could we not just keep it implied?! Eugene's entire set of lines since he has arrived on the show feel completely forced and fake but i'm not sure whether the actor is trying to make it seem fake or if its just the writing being typical TWD. All in all I enjoyed the Carol scenes and the Sasha scenes, Father Gabriel was okay; not much to say about him other than the one shot of him backed up looking away from the walker being one of my favourite moments from the episode simply because of how well Boyd directed that shot. The lens, the angle, the lighting and the soundtrack was all perfect in that one moment. LGJ gave a decent performance as Bob but I felt his emotional scene by the tree could've been better.

8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 New Member

4/10

I was fully expecting this episode to throttle down from all the action and mayhem from the season premiere - it would be near impossible to make every episode that action packed, not to mention exhausting to watch after a while. But this episode seemed poorly written and edited imo, and left me a bit confused at times in a bad way.

Making Carol and Tyreese have another heart to heart again seemed redundant and unnecessary. They could have used that time to catch up with some of the other characters.

The Priest character just seems silly and one dimensional. The actor playing him doesn't really have that menacing ulterior motive air about him, even though I suspect the writers of the show to make him do something bad to Ricks group.

I didn't like how they so abruptly cut to Carol being outside at night on her own like that, with little explanation as to why she was working on the car on her own like that instead of telling others that she would be stepping out for a bit. Then they hastily sent her and Daryl off after that other car that sped by. I didn't watch seasons 1-3 in their entirety, so I had no idea how Daryl knew that Beth was in that car.

The overall continuity of the episode just seemed off to me. Even when they abruptly cut to Bob crying, it would have helped to see him perhaps looking over everyone in the group, maybe reflect on that pep talk he gave Rick earlier, then walking out of the church, as if something was bothering him and he needed some time to himself. That would have made more sense as an indication that something bad happened to him, such as getting bitten, since then.

Actually that brings up another issue, why didn't anyone else in the church question why Bob and Carol left? They had to of seen both of them walk to the door.

They also need to brighten up some of the shots and bump up the volume of some of the dialog at times, because it's really hard to see what's going on in some of the scenes, as well as make out what they are saying.

9. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

I think the episode is pretty clearly written, shot, edited and explained. It just appears to be your comprehension issues at play there.

Honestly, what more do you want? A full narrational dialogue explaining every little thing that's happening and why?

You admit to not properly watching previous episodes, and then try to make out like this episode sucked because of your own lack of information on the show - I mean really???

You're clearly not understanding the nuances of the characters, and their backstories and what is going on... Your rating shows your own lack of understanding, and doesn't reflect on the episode at all.

[​IMG]

10. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

8.5 for me. could be higher, but I have to watch again a few times.

11. SurvivorXII

SurvivorXII Member

A solid 8. Nothing too mind blowing, but it got everything right that it needed to.

12. TiffanyCPadgett

TiffanyCPadgett New Member

Tainted Meat

13. Tortuous

Tortuous Member

14. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

No complaints so it's another 10 for me.

15. txdoglover

txdoglover New Member

I liked this episode, but I like them all! It did bother me that Bob went out in the woods by himself, who does that? I'm afraid in my own house after I watch the show, looking for walkers in the dark corners. Let alone going outside. My first thought after he came up from underwater was that the walker did indeed bite him. He's hiding it. That was why he was crying, can't think of anything else that just had happened that would have upset him. I think they were building a story line, forgiveness, etc, but it was a little slow until the end. I knew that Bob and Sasha being happy was a bad omen.

16. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

4/10
    The Characters don't feel real anymore like in the first seasons.

17. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

-Sometimes a episode with a lot of comic-like scenes is amazing.
    -It was a lot of Rick, that's what I like. There are to many characters right now.

18. MrBigDog1974

MrBigDog1974 Member

Beth was taken by someone who had a cross on the back of their car last season, thus the reason for Daryl thinking that the driver of said car would probably have info on Beth's whereabouts.

As far as no one noticing Bob leaving, you could possibly chalk it up to the communion wine. :)

19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I give this one an 8.

I liked the way some key comic book elements were shown on TV. The church setting feels as if it was literally lifted right out of the comics. Rick has developed into a very formidable figure, and Andrew Lincoln deserves a lot of credit for carefully navigating his way through this role over the course of the past 4 + seasons and making it work as he does. He has a real screen presence now.

I had two problems with the episode. The main one was that Daryl and Carol are on some random back road in Georgia and they just happen to see the same car that abducted Beth. This could've been worked in much better.

One minor critique is that they could've played up the fact that they were being watched a bit more, maybe for an additional episode, to build the tension a bit. Bob's abduction felt a bit rushed.

20. Faelan Dixon

Faelan Dixon Member

I would give it a 6.5.

It was like 'BAMMMMMM and here is father Gabriel'.