Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you rate this episode?

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Carl Grimes, Nov 30, 2014.

?

Episode rating?

1. 10

20 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 9

27 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 8

37 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. 6

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. 5

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. 4

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. 1

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Carl Grimes

Carl Grimes Member

If it's not a 10...

2. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

8/10 personally, and the weakest mid season finale so far... But still a good episode.

3. CaribbeanWalker

9 , Not a 10 just cuz Beth died... and her death was the worst ever!!

4. trippy41

trippy41 Member

An eight. A solid episode, but Beth died in a pretty dumb way. I mean, at least stab Dawn in the eye or something. But the tension was good and Rick still had the best line, as I predicted, "shut up" after he kills Bob 2.

5. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

5/10

For a normal episode it'd be a 6/10 or a 7/10 but for finales my expectations are automatically higher. This felt like "Welcome To The Tombs" from Season Three. Several episodes building up to something big and ultimately not much happens besides a "shock" death.

I'm quite disappointed.

- The main thing they should of done is keep Gabriel's group out of the episode, or cut their screen-time by 75%. Seriously. Just show Maggie knowing about Beth's whereabouts in a quick montage or something. Basically, the only thing that happened is that Gabriel proved once again how good of a survivor he is [which we saw last week] and Michonne/Carl killed a few walkers. Surprisingly, these two things somehow covered about 15-20 mins of screen-time, much of it could of been shortened and allocated to the main-meat of the episode, Rick's group.

I was worried this would happen. They choose not to show Michonne and Carl for the whole first half, then try and 'make it up' with generic walker-killing, in the finale no less. Not even a decent set-piece like the 'water zombies' - just bland walking killing. You could do something like that in any episode, it's not something that should be taking up precious screen-time in such an important episode. What's hilarious and sad is that Michonne is barely seen in the Promo for next half, Carl isn't seen at all. Good, because I'm much more interested in seeing Maggie, Daryl and Carol now. Not them.

- The above problems lead to a finale that felt quite contrived, and besides the death... 'empty'. The writers said the mid-season break would be the hardest wait yet... I think not. I'm going into Episode 9 hoping the second half is a lot better. The season started so strong, and while the latter half had a few stand-out moments, it was ultimately disappointing.

- Dawn the flip-flopper.

+ On the plus side, the actual death itself was 'decent' I guess. I don't care about Beth, but it was handled pretty well - especially from a directing stand-point. Some very nice shot choice in that sequence.

+ As I said, the directing was quite good. That stand-off between Dawn and the dude was very nicely shot.

+ The acting was very solid, especially Lincoln.

+ Rick is so awesome

+ Bear McReary did a great job with the score.

+ I liked Tyreese

++++++++MORGANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

6. Stujoe

Stujoe Member

10. Because it surprised me.

7. zombiestop

zombiestop Member

The intro and the hallway / main scene at the end were the two strong points of this episode for me. The entire ordeal with these people at the hospital was too drawn out.

8. diordior

diordior Active Member

The best part of this episode for me was the directing, acting and Rick's lines. I'm probably in the minority in that I enjoyed portions of the church being overrun, but hated how much time was spent on Gabriel going to the school.

For the main part,

1) Beth's death was stupid, to put it succinctly. It would make far more sense if she had offered herself in place of Noah (since Dawn had said she replaced Noah) and THEN have someone kill her to make a twisted point to Rick's group. Going to kill Dawn with a scissors was so stupid and she had been developed to be more careful and thoughtful than to attempt something so pointless and with heavy consequences.

2) This arc had given us so many moments of bad cop/good cop with Dawn and the others like Gorman, Lamson, and that other random. The wards were all trying to escape and it was suggested that Dawn's problem was her lack of control over the others - that if she was overthrown it would be far worse for the wards. To basically show otherwise like with none of the wards leaving after Dawn was shot, makes that whole conversation between her and Beth pretty pointless and something that could have been cut in half really. Or they could have at least made her shooting Beth more intentional in a way to say "well, I'm ****ed anyway, since I lost the respect of all the cops having to let people go" or "I'm trying to gain back the respect from other cops".

3) Maggie's reaction when she heard the news from Michonne would make more sense if in the beginning Daryl had said "she might be alive or dead" rather than "she's alive". Also if she mentioned Beth at all throughout the season. I guess maybe her storyline in the next half is grieving over how she had all that time to attempt to save her but then it was too late.

4) The whole exchange proposal just felt like a repeat of a scene from the last episode.

5) The hype of a bloody MSF and rule breaking just ended up making this episode disappointing because it's like you were waiting for something that just wasn't going to happen and then were let down.

9. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Gave it a 4. Honestly I thought it was Lame, and I'm wavering on the whole show with how crap this first half of season has panned out. Disappointed and shocked, and honestly just don't know what the writers were thinking. Seriously, a grade schooler could have written a more powerful and satisfying death scene for a character they only decided to shove into the forefront last season. *eyeroll*

10. Dales hat

Dales hat Member

I liked this episode. 9/10

And I don't think that Beth was so stupid that the thought she could kill Dawn with scissors. I think Beth knew that once Dawn retaliated, someone in Ricks group would finish Dawn off.

The way this episode played out actually reminded me of Pretty Much Dead Already. What people seem to forget about that episode is that it was a pretty standard episode up until the barn slaughter.

Oh, and Beth being dead is a big win for me too, so there's that.

11. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

8/10

Not as good as Too Far Gone but still decent.

12. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

Dat Semi Michonne speech doe

13. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

I need to watch it again before I rate this one, first impressions are that I liked it overall, seemed to move along quickly except for a couple parts with Beth and Dawn. The opening sequence was great, and the final 5-10 minutes were also good.

14. Something2Fear

8/10 from me. While it wasn't majorly eventful in terms of epicness and action like Too Far Gone, it had some cool moments and character development. I was never a huge fan of Beth so I wasn't bothered by her biting the dust, but I felt the reactions especially by Rick and Daryl were genuine and for a second I thought they were gonna fire on the cross people. And now the group is back together so they can finally talk

Also I have to say, while I enjoyed the interactions between Dawn and Beth in this ep, I found it unrealistic the way Beth reacted to Dawn's alteration to the agreement at the end. For the past few episodes that she's appeared in (Beth), she's been striving to become stronger and prove herself, but in her final moments she fails to be effective and basically goes out instantly. Once again, I'm not bothered by her dying, I just found it stupid that she thought that would kill Dawn and somehow they'd be able to just walk away. I'm not saying she was incompetent, I just don't feel she was in the right to make a move and she should've let Rick decide how to handle it. While risking herself for Noah was brave it was also really stupid.

My favorite part was the beginning when Rick ran the cop over with the cruiser then shot him. S5 Rick is a stone cold badass, I love it.

#14 Something2Fear, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I liked the episode, but Beth's death was the worst kept secret ever!

16. wdfanatic2

wdfanatic2 Member

5 of 10. I'm disappointed in this entire season so far. It's been boring and predictable for me. Still fun to watch the zombies, the special effects are carrying this show, not the storyline.

17. Jimofthedead

Jimofthedead New Member

Lame writing. Killing off one of the few remaining likeable characters. What's left after ransacking a church and chopping a guys head off at the alter? Maybe become Satanists?

18. Slowwalk

Slowwalk New Member

10! Great fighting scenes, suspense, awesome (roof scene)and retarded (narrow hallway for possible shootout)tactics. Definitely a great promo for the next half.

19. The Great Zombini

The Great Zombini Well-Known Member

I rated it a 7. I think it was above average, especially after the last two episodes, but it wasn't a top, must-see quality episode. Certainly not worthy of being a mid-season finale.

20. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

the weakest midseason finale was 3x8, the best 4x8. I liked this episode, even if the ending was silly