Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you rate this episode?

Discussion in 'Episode 509 - What Happened and What's Going On' started by Carl Grimes, Feb 6, 2015.

?

Episode rating?

1. 10

15 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. 9

50 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. 8

20 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. 7

20 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. 6

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. 5

7 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. 4

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 3

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. 2

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. 1

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. kivo1889

kivo1889 Member

A 9 from me, a powerful episode with (has others has pointed out) a couple of WTF moments.

I liked that Ty's death was random, avoidable, and pointless: I imagine that many deaths would be like that in a real ZA. They don't all have to be deaths via shootouts with tanks, rocket launchers, and storms of bullets. Zone out and daydream in the ZA for a minute and you could be (literally) dead meat.

Nice to see Morrisey back as the Gov. He was on a radio chat show in the UK last summer, and when the host joked that he was dead in The Walking Dead he was cagey, and said that contractually he was in it for a couple of seasons to come, and could neither confirm or deny whether he'd be in it again. I can see why now :zombies_lol:

2. Carl's Pudding

Yep... That's what Depends are for.

3. the walking jet

i gave it an 8..

4. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

I gave this a 10 because I thought it was gripping yet different to anything we've had before...a slow pace and a random, pointless death. I am trying to deliberately avoid spoilers (after knowing about Beth's death in advance) so it was shocking for Tyreese to be killed unexpectedly. I also loved the hallucinations (great to "see" them again). It gave closure to the past for some big characters and I imagine next week it will be back to telling the story. Completely different to 5:Ep 1 but just as good.

5. neen1968

neen1968 New Member

I'm giving it a 7. It was beautifully shot, and I think will take a couple of viewings to fully appreciate all the nuances and meanings in certain conversations and plot points. I did think it was a bit slow for a mid season return, and was disappointed that we didn't get to see all the characters - hopefully that will be rectified next week. I liked the way the grave digging at the beginning turned out to be for Tyreese, not Beth as most would have assumed. I did think when Tyreese was hallucinating that he would see Karen, and his father, rather than Beth and the Governor. Understand why he saw Martin, Bob, Lizzie and Mika, but I felt the Governor was just there to make up space, as was Beth to a lesser extent (though possibly she was used as they travelled to Virginia because it was her wish to go there with Noah?) I was actually more upset by Tyreese dying than I was by Beth's death - something had to go wrong at that turnover! Overall, I thought it was well done, but I can certainly appreciate why many people were disappointed.

6. DidHeSayDreet?

I gave it an 8. It was very well written, directed, and shot...but at the same time, a bit slow. Plus, I'm not a huge Tyreese fan. He did a great job of acting in this episode though.

7. tubby

tubby New Member

cinematically great; plot and dialogue excellent; i enjoyed how the positive character's wounds healed, and they gathered him into the setting light. I want to listen to the radio broadcasts again, carefully.

#107 tubby, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. walkon

walkon Active Member

No one in our house liked this one. We didn't hate hate it but we were far from breaking half way. The best part for me was seeing the old Glen without Maggie. I've missed him.

9. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

9/10 for me, very trippy cinematography. Nicotero did an awesome job with this episode, many clues and easter eggs for what's to come.

10. perthguy

perthguy Member

Thought it was a brilliant episode.

11. Patrickdeh

Patrickdeh Member

I gave it a 9!
    This episode gave me more feels then my previous favorite episode. That was the one were Shane opened the barn...

I loved the governor and Woodburry flashback.
    He is still my favorite bad guy! Bad only because he killed Andrea ;-)

12. len112

len112 Member

Hated it , far too much going on that didn't make any sense , flashbacks/hallucinations were far too hard work to interpret . Stupid mistakes that would never happen , like going into a house that hadn't been properly checked . Those chopped up bodies that were just thrown in there with no explanation , all that character development for Tyrese just to kill him off . Waste of an episode in my opinion .

13. tehwalkingdead

Read two pages before writing this post.

I really liked them episode. I thought the start, with the blood pooling on the idyllic looking picture, set a sinister tone for the episode which eventually carried through the whole episode. The dead kid on the bed, Tyreese looking at the picture of twins, then the dead kid on the beds brother coming at him was well done I though. I liked the hallucinations due to the fever setting in. And eventually, I actually liked that I felt sorry to see Tyreese die and as close to emotional as I will ever get watching a tv show.

Id like to see more of the group together though. Why were Carol, Daryl andCarl not with the rest?

14. Country

Country Member

Yeah, the beginning wasn't really that much exciting, however, I liked that they skipped the Beth grief and continued with a time skip.

15. Callysta

Callysta Active Member

I gave it a 6. It was ok. Chad Coleman definitely did justice to Tyreese's death in this episode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[MENTION=8784]Gaycandybacon[/MENTION] - have you watched his latest? Review of episode 9
    [video=youtube;gRFm1WNExbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRFm1WNExbE[/video]

17. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I was so happy about that, you have no idea.

18. Driver'sSeat

Driver'sSeat New Member

I thought it an interesting way to bring back past characters by way of an impending death from a current one. Tyreese, so far, was the most morally conflicted of the group, of course he'd feel like he had to atone for his past "sins".

I liked how the sign on the bedroom doorway read, "Dead End".

19. Online-Don

Online-Don Well-Known Member

Dat spelling.

20. Spydes

Spydes New Member

I would rate the episode at a strong 8.5.

It was very sad to see Tyreese go, but I thought they gave him perhaps the most artistic and sentimental send off that any character has yet received. The concept of bringing back several of the deceased characters to speak to him during his hallucinogenic state was very cool (plus it was great to see some of those actors on the show again). I certainly did not see another character death coming directly on the heels of Beth's farewell during the mid-season finale, so kudos to the writing staff for keeping the audience on their heels.

Seeing the group in its current nomadic state, longing for purpose really gives the show a unique element that hasn't been seen since they left their camp in the woods outside Atlanta in season 1. Obviously, the world around them has devolved quite a bit since that time so it will certainly be interesting to see what types of horrors may be in store as they flounder for shelter and answers.

Overall, I really thought the first episode of this arc made a compelling case for fans to continue to tune in. And, that's exactly what I intend to do!

(P.S. Did anyone else notice that the clock in Noah's brother's room (which was a focal point several times in the episode) had the time frozen at 5:09, which neatly corresponded to episode 509? I thought that was a cool little Easter egg!)