Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you think the doc told rick before leaving the CDC

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - TS-19' started by Loc, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Whatever he told him, from the look on Rick's face, I'd say it was bad news.

2. Monster23

Monster23 Member

Oh ya I forgot about Rick's expression. Could be that D.C. Lost contact or something.

3. Belha

Belha Member

I havent read the comics yet, but I hope it's not the fact that everybody's infected already. I hope it's something related to him or to the moment he got shot. Like... ''the zombies started because when he was shot, he...'' etc etc

4. turbo6

turbo6 Member

From a writer's standpoint the idea of Jenner's whisper simply being that Lori is pregnant is pretty boring. It brings nothing fresh to the storyline now and kind of makes such a prominent scene seem redundant.

Perhaps a slight twist on that could make it a bit more exciting, like the blood test revealed that it is in fact Shane's child or something along those lines. But, simply beforehand knowledge of Lori's pregnancy is just not that exciting.

So as far as what the whisper could be...we do know a couple of things. First, the duration of the whisper is short and to the point. Rick appears to be shocked in a relatively brief amount of time. So, this simply can't be some long, complex lecture about the fate of the world or a hefty story about how this all started. It was short and sweet.

Next, the news had to be grim. If there was a shred of hope to his comment, Jenner would have never decided to die at the CDC. So in other words, it reinforced his hopelessness or was simply something that had no real impact on him, which makes the pregnancy theory seem like a good thought initially.

Finally, Rick began to share the news via the walkie talkie in hopes Morgan was listening. He was completely alone, and totally free to share whatever was on his mind but, ultimately he decided not to and simply said something like "Nevermind, its not important anyway". This is where I begin to think the notion of Lori's pregnancy wasn't really the secret here. Rick's tone seemed more somber here, like he didn't really want to burden Morgan with any more bad news. Eventually I'm sure he does want to cross paths again and I think he backed off because he feared he may destroy whatever hope Morgan and his son have left.

Now, as far as what I think was whispered, and I'm sure many have similar thoughts. I believe Jenner alluded to the fact that everyone at this point may be infected, possibly being that is an airborne virus. So regardless if you die naturally, or by the infection you will inevitably come back as the dead. Essentially, this is how the virus started. Everyone became infected, the virus stays dormant in your body until death. So initially once a large amount of people became infected, and died naturally, say in a hospital setting, they became reanimated. Keep in mind, Rick himself was in a hospital and witnessed an army-like force swoop in to kill the hordes of undead. So perhaps it was known from the start that hospitals were almost like the epicenter of the outbreak, with large numbers of people dying naturally only to come back as walkers. A military presence in hospitals could have been to simply try and slow down the outbreak at that point.

Another point I've noticed in the series is that no one thus far has died naturally either. No one has yet died of a misfire, or anything other than a zombie really, so we really don't know exactly what happens in this case. If you remember back to the first season there was a scene where Andrea and Daryl (or was it Shane, I think it was Daryl) find a person who apparently hung himself who was now a walker. He was hanging fairly high off the ground, so in theory any damage he would have sustained by a walker feeding on him shortly after dead, would have been to his legs/feet and there didn't appear to be visible damage there. It would seem like a bit of a stretch if he man was simply attacked by a lone walker, fended it off after a bite and then took the time to hang himself, while most likely bleeding profusely. Plus in situations like this, it seems more likely that multiple zombies would be involved thus being incapacitated in an attack and not being able to do sometime like that. So to me, simply dying and becoming reanimated by the virus seems pretty viable.

Another thought could be the virus is not even spread by bites or scratches at all. The majority of people who are attacked are done so viciously, to the point where they would die of blood loss even if there was no communicable virus to be spread. Though, if I remember correctly in season one, Jim only sustained a minor zombie wound and eventually died. So perhaps, being that you are bitten by the undead maybe that would unleash and almost unstoppable infection as opposed to even a virus after all.

Lastly, a lot of people speak of Rick's possible immunity to the virus as potentially discovered by Dr. Jenner's blood test. It's definitely a good theory, as during one of the flashbacks in that episode Shane seemed to legitimately hear no heart beat from Rick, and they made a point of that. So Rick could have very well been dead at that moment but instead miraculously he came back to life, but unlike everyone else, he was immune to the virus and did not come back as a walker.

It seems plausible, but then again if Dr. Jenner saw any hope in Rick as a cure I doubt he would have given up that easy and just died like he did in the CDC. So maybe he either overlooked that in the bloodwork, or maybe informed Rick about everyone being infected, but him being immune and possibly hinted at some place where he could be further studied in hopes of a cure. But again, Jenner seemed pretty hopeless towards the end.

5. NRohirrim

NRohirrim New Member

Oh common, from where Jenner would know about Lory's pregnancy? He was making blood tests (only to find any zombie disease), not pregnancy tests. I think, more possible what he told to Rick's ear that not only a bite makes people to become walking dead.

#45 NRohirrim, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

...Like the entire cast of "Scrubs" survived the zombie apocalypse and they are going to resume filming!?? :Grin:

7. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

About the hanging zombie...his legs were eaten down to the bone...go watch it again.

But that raises more questions, zombies eating themselves? or did another zombie eat him before he turned...either way that is problematic to some of the more "serious" theories about zombie eating.

8. turbo6

turbo6 Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I should rewatch the first season again, there's probably tons of little details I'm overlooking. Regardless I think that scene does have a lot of importance in one way or another.

As far as the zombie eating habits, that is an interesting subject. As we have gathered so far zombies do not eat other zombies however at what point does the zombie really stop feeding? Obviously they have a preference for the living but I wonder when exactly they feel "satisfied". The time to turn into a walker varies, so I wonder if its merely a liking for the freshly deceased or if they would continue to "feed" until the corpse reanimates.

9. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

The doc took blood samples of all the crew, so he likely has to be something about the blood. Revealing that Lori is preggers, is hardly news. Chances are someone in the group is a carrier and if they take him to the CDC a vaccine can be made.

Or its something diabolical like there was a nuclear bomb set off and they all are going to die anyway.

#49 Zombie Lover, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  10. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

While I understand that this is Kirkman's own zombie story, I have to refer you to Max Brooks's Zombie Survival Guide. Fun read all in all. I use that as my point of reference for zombie anything. I know I know its not Kirkman canon but...

As far as the guy hanging in the tree... Using the Zombie Survival Guide he would have had to opt out, get eaten some, then turn. Zombies wouldn't touch him after the "virus" was large enough in "population" in his system to actually turn him.

11. O Town Indian

O Town Indian Member

I remember in one of the Talking Dead episodes, one of the writers (I think it was Kirkman that week) said that the whisper is something we do not know yet, so i from that point on ruled out Lori being pregnant.

12. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

It appears that way based on Rick's reaction to hearing Lori was pregnant - he seemed genuinely surprised. "Shane is the father" can't be it either, then. It must have something to do with the disease.

13. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

That's the only thing that comes to my mind.

14. Howard33

Howard33 Member

Doc -I lived a couple of towns over and when the shit hit the fan, I made arrangements for my rental storage pod to be filled with Top Ramen. It's all out there just waiting and the location is.....

15. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

16. Yum Yum

Yum Yum New Member

What did Jenner whisper to Rick?

As the group was fleeing the CDC Jenner whispered something to Rick that seemed to shock him. I have seen all of season two (to the best of my knowledge), and I don't recall Rick recounting Jenner's words anywhere. Is it something that will be revealed in the future, or did I miss something?

17. dlhays1

dlhays1 Member

I think Jenner told Rick #6.

6. "Everyone is infected, but the infection doesn't kill you. Being bitten kills you, but no matter how you die, you WILL come back, whether or not you have been bitten."

18. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

This hasn't been revealed yet but Kirkman mentions it a couple times saying it is of some importance. My guess is this will come out some where in the last part of Season 2 or first part of Season 3.

19. dlhays1

dlhays1 Member

Maybe Jenner said everyone is infected except Lori because she is preg. maybe somehow the baby is not infected. or maybe Lori's body is naturally fight the infecttion to protect the unborn child.

20. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

It needs to come out by the end of the season. OK, I want it to come out by the end of the season. I would just find it rude if they didn't tell us. :zombies_lol: