Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What is the point of Father Gabriel's existence?

Discussion in 'Episode 708 - Hearts Still Beating' started by No.Pantaloons, Dec 13, 2016.

1. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

This sort of popped in my head after the Carol thread. But can anybody tell me why this character is still around? He contributes nothing to the show and his acting is ATROCIOUS. I know Kirkman is a big fan of "The Wire" and that is why the actor is here, but that should not be the only reason. [He was awful in "The Wire" as well, by the way...]

He talks in a lame "wise" tone that completely lacks authenticity and should seem patronizing to the listener. His amateurish facial expressions are at best laughable. He adds nothing to the plot. In the beginning he doubted Rick. He could have served as a new "Dale" and be the voice that questions the morality and conscience of the group. Now he is "I believe in Rick... blah blah blah."

2. Heriot of Fire

He's teaching the gospel and administering the sacrament

3. Deadpool

Deadpool Member

His acting is atrocious?

Rick Grimes: Excuse maaaay?

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Member

[​IMG]

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Duh, he's the cure.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

One of my favorite things about this show are how certain characters have changed into someone that's completely different from who they were at the time they were introduced. Daryl, Carol, Glenn, Morgan and Shane are great examples of that. Maggie, Carl and Rick have changed a lot, but to a lesser degree.

People like Eugene, Tara and especially Gabriel- are in the process of changing. Seeing Gabriel's changes (and maybe Eugene as well) are probably the most excited to watch because he and Eugene started out as completely worthless and annoying. Since then they have done thing to redeem themselves.

8. FutureApocalyps

TWD always has a character who reflects some strong moral sensitivity.He fits the bill the last couple seasons

9. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

A BIG BIG BIG token to Gabriels growing is how Rick left the defence of ASZ pretty much in his hands as they left to help Maggie in Season 6. I saw that as him leading it should they be attacked. P

10. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

It only took 6 replies to get a serious answer. A new forum record.

I understand Gabriel has changed, but how does it add to the group dynamics? What makes him "special" to the group.

Does he? I don't remember him questioning Rick's assault on the Savior satellite station. Dale would've gone crazy over such a morally questionable act. His conversations with group members aren't enlightening and don't seem to make a difference.

11. Heriot of Fire

A serious answer from Jama no less. Is it raining toads where you're at already?

12. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

The fact that he is alive for one thing is saying a lot right now.

Also as he is a Priest and thus by default a Moral Compass of sorts it is interesting to me at least to see how he embraces the obvious contradictions between survival in the old world vs survival in this crazy ass new world.

I mean shootin' Saviors in the head is a pretty big metamorphosis for a chickenshit padre like the one they first came across!

Maybe he and Jesus will have some good scenes after they meet the Rabbi from the Junkyard?

13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I like that he's a figure of wisdom and moral guidance lately. I'm not a religious person myself, but it makes sense to me that a man of faith would assume this role.

Plus, he's far more genuine in a moral compass role than Beth or Tyreese were. I'm starting to see Gabriel in a similar manner to Hershel.

14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Pffft.... Uhhh hello!!! He's black and all of the other black dudes are dead! The zombie apocalypse needs diversity too, bruh!

(Sorry, but I met my "serious reply" quota for the year. Jama out!)

15. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

Don't know if it is bad writing, bad acting or bad directing, but Gabriel definitely comes across as one weird dude. He has certainly redeemed himself as a member of the group from where he started. But he does not come across as genuine to me. It's like a priest who fell off the path and is trying to fake being a priest again. That's the best way I can put it.

He certainly is never going to be another Herschel. Nuh-uh. Never.

16. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Nah, Gabriel has a lot of potential for bigger things. He still has a leg to lose.

Also, if Seth Gilliam's acting is being criticized by the OP's - so many past & current cast members should be on that list

#16 RicksdaMan, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  17. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I was told there wasn't going to be math in this thread.

These experiment threads are starting to get creepy.

18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of being a guinea pig! Next they are gonna start rubbing cosmetics in my eyeballs.

19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

He is awkward purposely. He is a morally high person living in a morally corrupt world. He wants to be part of something but really doesn't fit in.

I like his character not because of what he has been or what he is now, but for what he will be in the future. I feel he is still changing and will become more interesting as time goes on. Just like Eugene.

Many of the characters went through strange phases where I just wanted them to die. Sasha had her moments, Rosita, Abe, and a few others had periods where they were just awful characters. But they eventually came around.

20. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he doesn't serve a purpose OP.

Now explain the because or I'm going to rerir.