Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What kind of laptop do you have?

Discussion in 'Creative Art' started by turbo6, Feb 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. turbo6

turbo6 Member

I just recently killed my 5 year old Gateway laptop with a liquid spill.

I ended up jumping ship and picking up an HP laptop as a replacement. I gotta say I am liking it, the 17 inch screen is quite nice and the HP desktop I had worked well for years with no problems. Hopefully I can manage to keep the drinks away from this one. :)

What type of laptops do you guys have?

2. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

I use a discontinued Dell (AMD) something that I bought back in 2008 from Walmart for 750.00...it's seen better days but it still works great. I'm still running Vista on it as well lol

3. Zombie_Momma

Zombie_Momma Member

I think it's an HP Pavillion? Not sure, my parents bought it for me last year. The speakers are blown though :/

#3 Zombie_Momma, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Forgot to mention the volume control is busted and stuck on high....really sucks when you're uploading pictures and those Photobucket ads start blasting away at you lol I generally keep a pair of ear buds plugged in so I don't have to hear it.

5. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

At home I use an HP laptop. Can't tell you any specs as i'm not a "tech guy", but it's a seventeen inch monitor and the thing runs like a champ. Bought it about about five years ago for 400 bucks during a black friday sale and i've got no complaints. I keep all drinks away from it, but my three year old daughter plays learning games on it all the time and it's holding up well.

6. Jack.

Jack. Member

I have a Acer laptop. :)

7. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

3 yr old + Laptop = still working? That's amazing lol

8. turbo6

turbo6 Member

The Gateway I previously had was closing in on 5 years, I'm sure if it didn't get water damaged it would have lasted at least a few more years.

The only real issue I had with it was a bad battery and a missing shift key.

The other problems were basically my fault, I dropped it numerous times and ended up disconnecting the DVD/CD drive, which is an easy fix at least. I think the two other times I dropped it the laptop landed on the power plug and broke it twice....first time was covered by warranty, second time was out of pocket but, chargers are pretty cheap on Ebay at least.

Hopefully the new HP will hold up that well.

9. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

An HP laptop.

10. AVC

AVC Member

An i7 Acer. 15.6" screen a a one gig dedicated vid card (so it can run my games.
    And it has a ridiculous 16gig of RAM
    Only about 6 months old

11. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

I'm using my laptop currently, which is a Toshiba Satellite C655 AMD E-300 4GB(RAM) 320GB(HDD).

12. Ms.MistMoonz

Ms.MistMoonz Member

13. walkerbait74

walkerbait74 Well-Known Member

Toshiba Satellite laptop, got it at Staples. I have high speed internet now, and it's nice with the Wi-Fi. Windows 8 takes some getting used to.

14. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

If you don't like the "start menu" you can replace it with something like RocketDock or Classic Shell for the real Windows feel

15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm typing on my new ASUS touchscreen brushed aluminum notebook.

It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to shut it down [windows 8]

16. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

Easiest way...take the battery out.. lol.

17. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

haha !!

I have no idea why they had to remove the windows button with the menu..

18. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

They took out the start menu to try to get people to use the touch interface. Basically they're using Windows 8 to try to show people the "benefits" of their new touch interfaces so people will be ok with Windows Phone or tablets. Basically put Win8 is a marketing tool for their mobile offerings.

19. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

I look at Windows 8 in sort of the same light as Android 3.0: a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time platform that essentially says, "Hey, look at all the stuff we'll be able to do when we finally figure out this hybrid OS stuff!"

I like Windows 8 for its lower consumption of system resources, and for the *idea* of the sidebar, though Windows 8 app selection through the Windows Store leaves much to be desired. Developers know less about how to program for Windows 8 Modern UI than they did for Android when it started to get big, and they know even less about how to program for Windows 8 apps running in sidebar mode. I'm interested to see what they fix and tweak with Windows Blue. Hopefully it will be as substantial a jump as the jump from Android 3.0 to 4.0 was.

20. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Now I've used it for a few days it's fantastic, so much better than my old windows 7 notebook..