Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What movie scared the SH*T out of you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by Chuckernaut, Apr 24, 2014.

1. steely

steely Well-Known Member

that ALMOST kinda sounds like return of the living dead.. starts in a medical supply house, with a gooey zombie, and then moves to a mortuary...

2. Dreamer14

Dreamer14 Member

Most horror movies don't scare me too much, but there was a movie (The Vanishing I think) about a girl who was kidnapped at a gas station and then buried alive in the ground. That freaked me out just imagining that. I'm very claustrophobic.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

The original Evil Dead got me all messed up as a kid. I watch it now 30 years later and movie seems like a joke.

4. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

There's the original Vanishing which was a Dutch movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096163/?ref_=nv_sr_2

and then the super appalling American remake:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108473/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The original Dutch movie was one of the most unsettling and horrifying movies I've ever seen. The American remake was the same because they followed Hollywood conventions and went for a stupidly implausible happy ending where justice prevailed, blah, blah, blah; the bad guy got his comeuppance, yaddah, yaddah; true love prevails and happy couple walk off into the sunset, crap, crap, crap.

The absolutely fascinating thing about this is - both movies were directed by the same guy, George Sluizer.

Here is an apparently perfect example of a European director selling out to the yanky movie industry. Guy directs one of the most original suspense movies ever and then sells his soul to Hollywood and directs super stinky remake that follows every standard Hollywood cliché. Presumably he spent his days on set saying "Remind me how much you are paying me to prostitute my art? That much? OK, action."

It reminds me of Michael Caine who said: “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.” [Jaws: The Revenge]

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Active Member

[​IMG]

I still get the creeps from drains and sewers and stuff

6. Teens In Crisis

There was this movie in the 80s, I think it was called Alligator. It had two kids playing pirate on the diving board, and one kid made the other "walk the plank" and when the lights came on in the pool, a big as gator was eating the kid... It's not the most original, but I'm 35 now and still wont swim in a pool with the lights off.

7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Member

So Creepshow 2 ruined everything I thought made my childhood worthwhile. Haha. It was a horrifying movie to me, and it's still a little creepy. I mean, there were naked girls in it, so I guess that makes up for it? No. I still don't want to watch that movie ever again. Stupid hitchhiker....he never dies. 0_o

8. Little Sister

Little Sister New Member

As I kid I remember being pretty freaked out by Poltergiest (the third movie made me scared of mirrors lol), The Thing, and Amityville: It's About Time. I love Poltergiest and The Thing now, but A:IAT is sooo terribly cheesy. I actually only watched it once as a kid while camping and it scared the hell out of me, and I ended up hating the sound of clocks ticking - had to take my clock out of my room when I was young.

9. vegito12

vegito12 Member

Childs play 2 and 3 were more scary as in the first one, we do not get to see chucky a lot. I remember a lot of people were scared, of him just killing for the thrill. I hope he does not exit in real life, that would be spooky.

10. Teens In Crisis

Was that the one with the swimmers and the blob? Dude, that one had me so freaked out as a kid, I wouldn't swim in a lake for years later! Too creepy!

11. Joe Tremblay

Joe Tremblay Member

The Bad Seed got me. Opening scene, a little girl huddled in a hay field scared as shit and you can hear her mother calling for her, "Christine!", "Christiiiine!" "Where are you honey, it's mommy". Little girl is starting to cry then we cut to a close-up shot of a bloody butcher knife being held by woman's hand. Zoom out to reveal waist shot of "mommy". Then, "Christine! It's okay honey, mommy's not going to hurt you"

Something about that just gave me the heeby geebies.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

Plenty of movies scared me as a kid. Not too many can get to me now. One that comes to mind is Halloween. The original one .It's probably my favorite horror movie of all time now, but it definitely kept me up at night as a young kid. I'm sure there are others but that's the one that really jumps out at me now that I think about it.

13. Teens In Crisis

The original Halloween scared me as a kid. Not Michael per say, but the atmosphere of the film, and actually Dr. Loomis was a creepy old bastard now that I think of it.

14. Dales hat

Dales hat Member

The Shining

Actually, it still scares the crap out of me to this day lol.

15. soconfused

soconfused New Member

Oh The Exorcist was just brutal! I couldn't sleep in my room for weeks. I still remember sleeping with my lights on and i think that's the movie that made me start suffocating in the dark. No wonder there are age restrictions on movies. :(

16. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

I remember being so freaked out watching that as a kid

Ametyville, Halloween movies, Poltergeist

There were loads of them that freaked me out when I was a kid.

17. Zombies101

Zombies101 Member

The Exorcist, it was so visually shocking.

I met Linda Blair at a Comic Con last month, NICEST person in the world!!! She's amazing to her fans.

18. Heriot of Fire

With an 8 year older brother I've seen many horror movies at quite an early age. Nightmare on Elm Street and Poltergeist creeped me out quite a bit but the one that really stayed with me for a while was Stephen King's It. Was absolutely terrified going to the bathroom for weeks in fear of some clown appearing from out the sink, blood instead of tap water and the like. The laundry line in the garden wasn't my favorite either.

Don't like clowns to this day and I'm convinced spiders will be the end of humanity but that's another story.

19. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

I used to have a poster of Linda Blair up so it was one of the first things I saw when I woke up. Lol. The Exorcist was so far ahead of its time.

20. Walker Caravan

Only one that got to me was Psycho. Still can't take a shower right. Nothing else really 'got' to me. The horror that will keep me up at night is reading history books, stories of mans true horrific violence and inhumanity against man. Things like getting bricked up in a wall, or having that screw thing inserted in your mouth or anus and expanded, etc... that's some scary stuff, and real people are capable of doing it. Toys coming to life and demons/gods of various pantheons running rampant just don't scare me as much as real humans. Hellraiser's pinhead? Meh. Thinking about people being buried alive on purpose and slowly suffocating... That will keep me up at night.