Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'Battle Royale and Video Games' started by EternalWreckage, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Wombat

Wombat Member

weird... Same here. Been alternating between replaying Fallout 3 & Skyrim. Seems that I'm on a Bethesda trip at the moment...

Before that, just finished replaying The Last of Us.

2. Charmander

Charmander Member

Wolfenstein (2009)

3. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

You mean you're allowed to leave the campfire? I thought that was the whole game lol

4. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I beat New Vegas a few nights ago. I played as a Sniper (named Andrea). It's been years since I played Fallout 3. Skyrim I'm playing a bit right now though.

5. Legend

Legend Active Member

After 10yrs, I am still addicted to World of Warcraft. After 10yrs of playing it now day in, day out, all day, every day... I'm such a nerd!
    Only other games that I have played in that time was DayZ, and SW:TOR. I did purchase and download the new "Game of Thrones" game from Steam last night as I am a big, big fan of the show. Still to play that though... :)

6. ltomlinson31

I've been playing a lot of SSB on the 3DS lately. It's pretty awesome. I'm not a Nintendo guy and its been a while since I've played a SSB game.

7. Lupey

Lupey Member

On to Far Cry 4. No that far into it story mission wise. I'm working on hijacking all the towers and also crafting all the extas. Game really is beautiful. Love all the animals and it has honey badgers!!

8. Revan Shepard

Revan Shepard Well-Known Member

I just played through Wolfenstein: The New Order and I thought it was a fantastic fps. You don't see too many fps games without multiplayer and an emotional story, so this was nice. The ending was a little unsatisfying, though. I'd totally recommend it to anybody wanting a fun game to play, and likes fps games.

I'm currently playing through Dragon Age 2, waiting for Assassin's Creed Rogue to come in the mail. I've heard some good things about that game!

9. Taras Assistant

Taras Assistant Well-Known Member

Currently going through all the side missions and collectables on Assassins Creed Unity !

Considering it has it's fair share of bugs i really enjoyed the game !

10. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

Fallout New Vegas.
    I made my character look like Rick and he even has a magnum as his primary weapon.
    Like Rick, my character makes moral decisions and takes out the bad guys.
    I might make a character based on The Gov......

11. ltomlinson31

I got Mass Effect during Christmas and managed to beat the game. Now I'm in the middle of Mass Effect 2. Garrus is my bro. I also loved Wrex in the first game and he was my main ally (I tried to use everyone as much as possible but I used Wrex the most), and I'm really liking Mordin and Miranda this game.

12. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

My favorite video game series of all time. I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Right now I'm almost done playing Dragon Age 2 (I'm in Act 3). I never played this series but got interested in Dragon Age Inquisition. So I went out and bought DAI and played about 1/2 hour of it and realized that it's stupid to try to play this game without playing its predecessors (probably like playing Mass Effect 3 without having played the first 2). So I went out and got Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2.

I really enjoyed Dragon Age Origins but I really hated the combat and it probably bothered me more than it should that you didn't hear my character speak. I think I'm in the vast minority who actually is enjoying DA2 more than Origins. I know that DA2 has a pretty limited world but I'm enjoying the story and I love the character that I made. In Origins I played as a rogue, in DA2 I'm playing as a Warrior. I'm looking forward to playing as a mage in DAI.

13. ltomlinson31

Just saw that Crusader Kings 2 was free to play on Steam for a week and it's on sale so I'm trying it now.

Thinking of getting Dragon Age after I finish Mass Effect.

14. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

Yassssssssssssss. Crusader Kings 2 is amazing. I don't care how much of a nerd I feel like while playing it!

15. ltomlinson31

I've played around with it a bit and it has a really steep learning curve. I've played other complicated strategy games though so it's no big deal. There seems to be so much to it, which I love.

16. DietWater

I've been playing paradox games for years, but us it has a steep learning curve, though once you get the basics down it gets easier. With CKII, it's really all about getting the most desireable traits for you and your kids. It makes the game a whole lot easier. My one critique of the game is that once you expand a little, it's easy to blob. The AI is pretty decent for a game of that caliber, but still no match for a person.

If you ever need help with it let me know. ;)

17. ltomlinson31

Cool, thanks! I'll keep them traits thing in mind. How would I do that? Does that depend on the parents, or is it something that happens as they get older?

Also, what's a good starting area? I've checked the Internet, and Ireland seems to be a good one.

18. DietWater

Ireland is only a good starting area IF you're just playing base CKII. If you're playing the expansion The Old Gods, which pushes the date back to 867 I believe, or Charlemagne, which pushes it back to the 8th century, Ireland is a horrible place for a noob, because they'll be subject to viking raids for centuries. While Ireland in 1066 is good to learn the basics, it's a painfully slow and boring game, because you're basically relying on your chancellor on fabricating claims for you. The AI will be unlikely to marry their son matrillineally to one of your daughters, or to have your son marry one of their daughters, because when they die they'll get a claim, and then that claim on their titles will pass to your grandkids. This is especially true in somewhere like Ireland where it's just a bunch of counties; They'll try to keep one county from becoming too strong. The bigger you are and the more prestigious your dynasty is, the more likely you are to obtain better and easier marriages. It's a lot easier for the prince of France to marry the princess of England, then it is some lonely count to marry a king's daughter, though it's still possible.

On that topic, Dynasty prestige dictates a few things.

-Every person born under the dynasty gets a fraction of the total prestige on birth
    -it's easier to make marriages. People will be more likely to accept
    -It gives you a bonus to your vassal limit

Once you get a lot of prestige, a reigning queen will be more likely to marry you/your son directly then to ask for a matrillineal marriage, so both the countries will unite into one, or share the same dynasty, depending on the succession law.

Now, as for a good place to start in the 1066 date, assuming you want to play a christian country, I'd say Castile in Spain is a great beginner came. A lot more fun then noob island (Ireland). I say this for multiple reasons:

-It teaches you about succession/dynasties. You're the king of Castile, your middle brother is the king of Leon, and your youngest brother is the king of Galicia. You're all each others heirs. I think the King of Castile was the heir to Galicia, but I'm not sure, it may also be Leon. Either way, you all also have claims to each other's titles, thanks to your good old pops, so on day one you can declare war on your brothers. If you declare war on an ally however, it costs 50 prestige.
    -It teaches you about stats. The reason I believe Castile is the easiest (besides being the richest/largest), is because the king of Castile always starts with a strong Martial stat. Martial effects combat (especially if you're leading the army personally, just make sure not to die in battle), and also increases your total amount of troops. This is why it's easy for Castile to win militarily against its brothers. Just be careful, as your brother may call the other brother into the war since you're the aggressor (also forgot to mention that Navarra and Aragon are also your dynasty, though further related since they're your cousins through your dad's brother, so you don't get a claim on them). On the other side, the king of Leon always starts with high intrigue, which increases plot power and your chance of activating an event through the plot to kill someone. So if you as the king of Leon are the heir to the Kingdom of Castile, you can plot to kill your brother and then take his kingdom through succession, HOWEVER, it's very possible the plot can be revealed, and even worse, if you do manage to kill him and people find out, you'll get the Kinslayer trait which will make everyone hate you, so be careful.
    -It teaches you about religion and holy wars. In 1066 more then half of Spain is still ruled my Islamic kingdoms. People of different religions can call holy wars on each other for big chunks of territory, divided by regions. Just be careful, if you holy war one Islamic country, another Islamic country can freely join the war and help defend the other country. On the plus side, nearby Christian countries may offer to join you on your side, depending on proximity and how much they like you (they're also more willing to join if you're the defender rather then the aggressor). Holy wars are different from crusades, which are another thing entirely.

Well, I think those are the main reasons why Castile is a good beginner game. Do NOT start in England in 1066. England starts out at war with the King of Norway and the Duke of Normandy (William the Conqueror) and it's extremely difficult to win. If you start off as a Duke or Count, if William wins, he'll more then likely strip titles away from you, since he's Norman and you're Anglo-Saxon, the AI will attempt to wash away the culture and try to convert it to Norman. England is pretty hard to play for a beginner besides the earliest start date, which requires the Charlemagne expansion. King Phillipe of France in 1066 is also hard because he's underage (14) in a regency led by his stupid mom, and The Holy Roman Empire has de jure claims on your territory, which it will continuously attack you when your truces are up. However playing a random duke in France and moving your way up to be king can be pretty fun.

Regarding traits, some traits are inheritable and the rest are obtained by playing the game. You should try your best to marry men/women with good stats, traits, and people who can give you good claims. For example, if I'm the king of France, and I realize the King of England has a daughter with a good INHERITABLE trait (these are Genius, Attractive, Quick, and Strong), it's good to have your son betroth/marry her, as these traits have a chance to be passed down to their offspring. These traits are also able to be obtained even if neither parent has them, but it's very rare. On the opposite side, there are a ton of negative traits like Imbecile, Inbred, Slow, Dwarf, Ugly, and Harelip that give negative stats or effects. Avoid marrying people who have these at all costs. Sometimes one of your kids will get these regardless. If it's a son, people usually try to get him killed, disinherit him by making him heir to a prince-bishopric, or by marrying him matrilleanily to a woman. The last thing you need is a son like that polluting your bloodline, especially if he's heir to your main kingdom (or any of them). Education is also a big deal. When a child turns 6, they can be assigned a guardian. The guardian basically educates them (the traits they get our weighted to be similar to the ones the guardian has), and when they turn 16, they get a similar education trait to the guardian (so a midas touched guardian, which is a stewardship education trait, can pass that down to the child, or one of the other levels within that same group, like fortune builder). A person can educate up to 2 children at once. I usually like to educate my kids/heirs myself, and then switch it to someone when they turn 15 if I have a weak education trait. If you choose to educate them yourself, you'll get events every once in a while and you can influence what traits they get.

CHANGE FROM GAVELKIND SUCCESSION AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!!!! Gavelkind is an absolutely horrible succession law. It allows you to personally hold more land, but what it does is that it basically divides the kingdom between all your children. As we saw with Spain, the king split his three kingdoms between his 3 sons. Each of them get one. This is really bad because it splits your kingdoms and causes a succession crisis, since it's likely your brothers will try to either kill you or declare war on you to take your title. It's better to switch to Elective, or Primogeniture (oldest kid inherits, it requires legalism 3 technology and high crown authority), then to be stuck with Gavelkind. Also try to always have Agnatic-Cognatic succession (women can inherit if there are no males). If you're Agnatic and there are no males left of your dynasty, it's game over. Women get a little worse opinion from vassals (-10 female ruler) and anyone gets less opinion if they have a female heir (-10 female heir), but having a female heir is better then getting a game over. Just keep in mind women don't get as many marriage prospects if you're trying to get a matrillineal marriage (which you should always try to do with your daughters, to have their kids be of your dynasty).

Claims also basically work like this. Pretend I'm the king of France.

I marry my son to the king of England's daughter. The king of England dies, depending on the succession law (let's say in this case it allows it), the daughter gets a claim to his title. After I die, and my son succeeds, I can push my wifes claim to the throne (if it's Agnatic you can't push her claim, since only males can rule). If this son wasn't my main heir, his brother (which will be you) can still push his claim, but your grandkids won't rules both kingdoms, the kingdom of England will just be your brother ruling with your dynasty (which is fine, since you can call him to any war if he likes you).

There are also strong claims, and weak claims. The first 3 kids get strong titles, the rest weak. So if I'm using agnatic-cognatic, and I have 2 sons and 1 daughter, they ALL get strong claims. If I have 5 sons, the oldest 3 get strong claims, and the youngest 2 get weak claims. Weak claims can only be pushed on regencies (underraged rulers), female rulers, or titles that are already being contested in another war. Claims can also be inherited by your kids, but it only lasts for a generation or two. So in the previous example, if my wife had a strong claim on England, and it passed to our Grandkid and I play as him, I'd still have a strong claim on England, but it will NOT be inherited by my offspring unless I choose to press it through war. If I don't press it, the claim is gone.

Phew, so much damn text! You owe me. All this information and I still haven't even scratched the surface. :)

19. ltomlinson31

This is awesome! Thanks for the help! Yeah, I just started a game as Castille and I'm just looking through all of the Laws and the possible spouses (it's actually a lot harder than I thought it would be to choose the perfect one). I checked out the Succession Laws and I'm just trying to work my way up from Gavelkind (to Primogeniture) . I remember that the King of Leon had the King of Castille killed (Age of Empires II was a great source of history for me), so I know a little bit about these brothers.

Even just quickly going through this game, there is so much to it. It seems awesome.

20. DietWater

In the bottom right, there should be a search function. You can tweak with the settings, and in the box put that you want to search for a Catholic female with a good trait like genius, and find them. Unfortunately at the beginning of the game most of the people who have good traits will be lowborn, so since Jimena is considered prestigious and you're a king you'll take a prestige hit, but since your first character is basically an engine to pump out kids with desirable traits to build up on, and as a king it's easy to farm prestige anyway.

Elective has no restrictions. You just need to be at peace and be in power for ten years. It makes your vassals like you (+20 opinion) because they get a say who your heir is, but just be careful because if they don't like you or have the ambitious trait, they're more likely to vote for themselves or someone else besides who you want. Elective is great because you can skip your inbred firstborn and have his genius brother take the throne :p. Just be careful because your other kids will still get claims on succession and have the -20 title claimant opinion malus towards you. Also if you're grooming one of your specific children to be the heir, make sure none of your other children have the ambition trait. Someone with the ambition trait will have a -50 opinion on anyone who they have a claim on, so your siblings will hate you. Also ambitious characters are more likely to declare war on you, seek aid from foreigners to press their claim on you, or plot to have you killed. Basically, ambitious is an awesome trait if you or your heir has it, but anyone else who has it will be a huge thorn in your side. You'll learn all of this pretty quickly. :)