Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What was Beth trying to do?

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Emdier, Nov 30, 2014.

1. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Another aspect to this episode was the reveal that Dawn had killed her predecessor. (Of course this was obvious to us viewers but maybe not to Beth.) So in Beth's mind Dawn was the source of the 'banality-of-evil' thing that was going on at Grady. Beth taking out Dawn means the hospital community has a better chance of becoming a more decent place to stay.

To be honest, I think the 'bad cops dead, good cops get to live' thing is a little too neat and tidy an ending. But overall I like the story arc they gave to Beth.

Edited (twice) to get apostrophes in the right place.

#61 westwingnut, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

That seemed awkward to me too.

I'm guessing she wanted to go for the heart but she had the scissors in her left hand so the easiest thing would have been to go for the throat, she had better access.

Plus the scissors were so small, how much damage would they have done even if she did center the heart instead of the shoulder?

3. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

I think everyone is overlooking Noah in this Beth/Dawn murder/suicide thing. The cops asked about Noah, Dawn was overly infatuated with bringing him back. Noah likely has information that Dawn didn't want getting out. Or maybe she just liked the D, hell maybe she just liked beating up a black kid....who knows. But Noah seemed to be more important to Dawn, the cops, and Beth than anyone was letting on.

4. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I think Beth was going for a killing stab, but she didn't know that Dawn was wearing a bulletproof vest underneath her uniform. All the other cops at the hospital wear their bullet proof vests over their uniforms.

Yeah, I've read that a bulletproof vest won't stop a knife or other blade weapon, but this is Hollywood. :zombies_rolleyes:

#64 Rapscallion, Dec 1, 2014
  5. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

She did offer but RicK (the dick) wouldn't let her.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Seriously though, the more I think about it...

Beth was trying to stab Dawn in the heart with what looks like nail scissors. :zombies_confused:

[​IMG]

7. Junking87

Junking87 Member

I was very upset over Beth's death but at least her death will have a deep impact narrative-wise. I do think that she did what she did for several reasons. She had just been told that "they always come back" which basically translates to "no one leaves". She took what Dawn said as a threat because she probably realized that as soon as Rick and everyone turned their back, Dawn would fire. Hell, she killed her mentor so why wouldn't she kill these random people asking for demands? Beth was definitely aiming for her heart, she stabbed her in the chest area. She knew the hospital hated her, she just watched a cop attack her earlier.

Regardless, I see it as this: Beth tried to save her loved ones so that Dawn didn't have a chance to shoot them. And her death wasn't completely pointless. In a way, she did sacrifice herself for many things. Because of her, everyone in the hospital has a chance for a better life. No more beatings, no more rapes, etc. Noah is now free to go home. Also, she saved Carol's life. If not for Beth, Carol would have been a goner.

Beth went from a quiet, suicidal girl back in season 2 to a young woman who defended her friends and family no matter what was happening. She turned out to be pretty tough, especially for a young 17-or something year old teenager. She went out fighting for those she loved and even though I'm sad to see another one of my favorite characters go, at least I can feel satisfied that she had a decent story arc which will continue to affect the narrative for awhile. RIP Beth.

8. Charmander

Charmander Member

Seemed a very random thing for her to do. Nothing had really happened in that episode to lead to her doing that. I can understand a point someone made about her making sure that the hospital wouldn't be under Dawn's control any more, but it seemed a very stupid thing for her to do. Risking the police officers getting enraged and shooting at Rick's camp. Surely this woman wasn't worth ending her life over, considering that they've met far more evil people. After the news of Beth's death got spoilt for me, I genuinely just thought she'd get killed in the crossfire after escaping from the hospital, maybe shortly after a reunion with Maggie.

9. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

But she didn't offer to. She just said "This isn't right" and went to hug Noah, before Dawn had to get all smartass and piss Beth off. But Rick never stopped her when Beth went forward.

10. cakebythepound

Maybe I'm just weird, but I know when I'm angry, I do a lot of things that don't necessarily make sense. I say things I don't mean. I've said things that weren't logical. I think that's what's so sad about Beth's death. She didn't have to die. It was a definite, "What the hell was she thinking?" moment. And, well, she wasn't thinking. She felt this rage about the fact that Dawn was getting exactly what she wanted, yet again, and she acted on it. The fact that her reaction wasn't well thought out is pretty realistic to me.

11. RHINOWSO

RHINOWSO Member

YEah, it was stupid. She tried to kill Dawn, but it was dumb.

12. lvprguy

lvprguy Member

Agreed that would have made more sense. Instead they wrote a stupid way for Beth to die.

13. Orpheus

Orpheus Member

Beth.. go for a frech kiss on Dawn, while holding her right arm softly, then you could've cut her throat.. hold Dawn's body, so you don't get shot, in the meantime Rick and the guns gets ready to fire, Dawns group don't do nothing, Rick's group leaves, ez, maybe next time.

#73 Orpheus, Dec 1, 2014
  14. Busted Flipflop

I think she lunged at Dawn out of pure anger. She had enough of Dawn and the anger had been building. I don't think she was actually thinking of killing Dawn as I don't think she was thinking at all, but decided to express her anger whether it resulted in her death or not. I think Beth had a moment of empowerment - the scissors represented what she could do if needed and having her group behind her gave her the courage to express her anger.

15. OneNOnlyJigsaw

OneNOnlyJigsaw New Member

UHhhhhhhhhhhhh everything is just fine. They could have muscled Noah away from them if they wanted... Beth just screwed up the whole thing. She was stupid in that moment and paid the ultimate price.

16. Chaos

Chaos Member

It WAS pathetic. Her friends are there sacrificing to save her, a hair trigger situation, and she puts everyone in grave danger. Completely selfish. Poor writing as well as the whole thing was silly in any event.

17. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

She basically placed Noah's freedom above the lives of everyone there.

18. Ricky Grimes

Ricky Grimes New Member

I feel like Beth was trying to save everybody from Dawn because she really was just a mess. The cops were happy when she died.

19. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Beth finally realized exactly who Dawn was. Dawn always had to be right, and it was Dawn who basically set all of the conflict in motion so that she was always the one in charge. First Dawn demanded Noah stay, just so she could look like she was in charge (you can see it in the look in her eyes right before she demands Noah stay). It was when Dawn said 'I knew you'd be back' in front of Beth that she knew is she left her in charge people would die, including Noah. Beth says 'I get it now', and stabs her. Beth knew that either she would kill dawn, or Dawn would kill her and her people would kill Dawn. But either way, Dawn would be dead.

20. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

In the pic, the cast is on Beth's right arm. Unless she's a lefty or ambidextrous, she drew out the scissors and struck with her non dominant arm. For most people doing anything with their non dominate arm is a challenge, which might have contributed to the strike not being as effective as she'd hoped.