Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What was up with the weird zombie flashes

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Better Angels' started by Howard33, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

At first, I wonderred if the zombie flashes were a flashback to when Shane got bit. But I don't recall those particular scenes.

Now I wonder if the zombie flashes are more of a sign that he has been assimilated into the borg... Er zombie collective and has new instincts.

IDK.

2. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

I absolutely adored the zombie flashes. They were a nice tribute to the comics - the series has been SERIOUSLY lacking some of the original visuals which are the basis of the comics. The comics are dark, dealing with unconfortable issues, if you honestly thought those flashbacks were creepy, then you may not like the prison/Woodburry and church saga. The series has been simply too safe. I hope that changes soon.

Nevertheless, there was no mistake. Shane was not bitten and he did turn into a zombie, wait for the last episode and you'll understand better that issue, namely Jenner's whisper.

3. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Lori leaves Carl unattended most of the time. If not for the ZA, it would be social services not walkers beating down her doors!! When she was with Shane on the highway (when she 'thought' Rick was dead), she leaves Carl in the hands of Carol (whom she JUST MET!), so she could run up the road hand-in-hand with her boy-toy Shane... all excited like two 8th graders that took a couple of sixpacks & a pack of condoms from her ole' mans stash!

4. spid77

spid77 Member

It was an attempt at artistic style...which the show needs a ton more of IMHO.

5. spid77

spid77 Member

Agreed on all your points...the show is way to safe.

6. Geek the Lamebrain

According to Glen Mazzara as per this interview: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s135/t...ore-bloodshed-in-finale.html#article_continue

"We've never had a main character become a zombie to this extent. Those [rapid flashes of zombie mayhem] represent the storm in Shane's brain to some extent. Amy was a weaker character.

"Shane is in a murderous rage, he's going to reanimate quicker. There's just more life in that zombie, believe it or not. We do have internal rules for that."

7. Andy

Andy Member

So if you're full of rage when you die you reanimate quicker? Well, Shane was always angry or throwing a tantrum about something, even over things that were his own fault. So it kind of makes sense but I think it's kind of a lame explanation if true.

Shane and Amy are the only characters that have ever reanimated in front of the viewers eyes. Amy, who was bitten twice, took several hours. Shane, who was NOT bitten, took minutes.

I've made peace with the fact we'll never find out how the ZA started. But I hope the writers will at least tell us the rules of reanimation in relation to your death because I'm tired of trying to figure it out. Shane looked like he was starting to turn into a walker as soon as he hit the ground.

#47 Andy, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

Wow, you were a very different 8th grader than I was!! Lol!

9. Skegs

Skegs New Member

I think when people die naturally, (if the virus is airborne), the immune system gives up. If your alive, your immune system is able to hold off the virus easily, but when you die, the virus must take over.

10. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

I may not be remembering something, but Shane never got bit to the best of my knowledge.......

I do wonder the same thing though about him being "assimilated" though. I think he was going so whack-a-do that whatever it is that causes re-animation was speeding up the process of him turning while still alive.

Makes you wonder what may have happened had Rick not stabbed him and Shane wasn't trying to murder Rick.

11. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

I don't think he was ever bit in what they showed on TV. Just when I saw it, I wondered if it was a flashback to some early incident when he was scratched/bit, and it wasn't shown.

12. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

Nah, I want to believe it was these primordial instincts coming out of him. Insanity and whatever causes the sickness was taking him over. Remember how Jim was acting?? Except they didn't show the flashes....

13. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Yeah its funny to look back and especially at the zombie flashes. However, maybe what you say might hold some truth. Maybe the "sickness" affects different people while they are alive, and maybe it caused Shane to go bananas. I mean really, Shane was a police officer, he served the public, but you have to admit that he lost it.

14. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

It just makes me wonder that the virus might have a mind of its own. It's like its programming dead bodies to act what we know as walkers. Why do walkers act the same? All they do is have a hunger for living organisms or recently dead bodies. That scene where Shane's body was experiencing the zombie flashes was like the virus telling Shane that you this now. I was thinking of the same thing with Jim since he was hallucinating but he was alive and a really high fever like that can cause hallucinations.

15. Torgie3

Torgie3 New Member

The flashbacks are from Shane turning into a zombie. I'm starting to think that some of the people who have responded to this topic haven't been paying enough attention to what's been gonig on, or maybe you haven't made it to the end when Rick
    Also, I think everyone is worrying too much about how everyone got infected. The show isn't about the infection, but the people and how the handle the ZA.

16. SerenitysMommy

The zombie flashes didnt make sense to me either. First, the zombie shown wasnt Shane. Second, it would of made more sense to show what was going on inside his brain, not some weird zombie flashback. Also, they walked thru the whole woods without seeing a single walker (minus Randall, which Glenn killed) so Im not understanding how all of a sudden the woods and the farm was infested? How do you go thru the entire woods without seeing a single walker when not even five mins later theres an infestation??

#56 SerenitysMommy, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

There were two different directions taken. The actual route that led to Randall's body, which Daryl and Glenn took, then there was also Shane's "fake" route that led Rick to the final showdown. With only two directions being searched and those being nearly parallel to each other, that leaves a lot of directions and treelines for the walkers to appear on the farm without warning.

18. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

When Jim got bit, not the boy Jimmy, but the one at the camp in Atlanta, he got the same flashes.

19. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

I always figured the zombie flashes were like some kind of window into a "collective consciousness" or...something, even though they're brain dead...sorta.

20. theNextmrsGrimes

theNextmrsGrimes Active Member

That's what I was thinking - that before you re-animate you have these flashes/visions, etc.

Although Jim had them when he was still alive......hmmm....