Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Episode 304 - Killer Within' started by MrSmith317, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

After the last episode, I started to think to myself....were I part of the group, what would I do now? Here's mine, please add yours.

First, clear out the prison. All of it. Second, see if I can get the backup generator to actually supply power(just for light). See if I could rig some running water from the stream(that they plan on using for the garden). Then I'd get the garden going and since there's plenty of outdoor time, gather wood/supplies and shore up those fences.

The prison would be my Base of Operations and every venture would fan out from there. I'd quarantine any survivors we found and bring them into the fold after a while. I think it could make a much better "town" than Woodbury. Certainly more secure(granted that nobody uses an axe to cut a chain...ugh)

So you've made it this far...what do you do?

2. iamnotarobot

iamnotarobot Member

sounds like a plan, but I'd be worried about keeping warm in that prison during Winter :-/

3. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

I'd go hunting to make myself useful.

4. zombieteacher

zombieteacher New Member

I like your plan. I would love to know what electricity does to walkers. Does it kill them and fry their brain? If so, I would get the outermost fence electrified if you could find some sort of reusable or sustainable electric source.

With your base idea, if they go that route, I can see why the Governor is preparing for war. If I was Rick, Id let the battle come to him. I'd utilize the sniper towers for observation spots on all sides. I would befriend Michonne if she gets out of Woodbury, to learn how to use the dead in his favor. I would then control & corral them into a cell block/yard of the prison with ability to release them & lead them to outskirts of the prison as a form of defense/attack. With all the references to the walkers as behaving as a herd, I just think it leads someone at some point gaining control of them as a group through the same means we have used to corral animals.

5. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

@zombieteacher. That sounds like a great addition. I don't know that I'd want a small herd inside my gates though. Imagine a breach(not unlike this last episode).

@iamnotarobot: Heat shouldn't be a problem so long as you can create fire. I mean prisons are made of concrete so you could have a decent sized fire. And with a proper amount of water and tubing you could even make your own radiator system. Now I know that's getting a bit Macguyver'ish but I'm probing the realm of posibility.

Final thought, since we don't know how far the prison is from Woodbury, let's assume there's enough ground to cover that walking there isn't really an option. They tend to not put state prisons near towns.

6. Gilligan

Gilligan Member

I would get the hell out of that prison.

The best place to set up camp would be a small, but strong fortress. Someplace secure, but not someplace so big that it will stand out and attract other survivors who might try to take it from you.

Rick's group is fairly small. They don't have the means to protect themselves from a larger group of survivors who want to take their prison or supplies from them by force. I also don't like how large of a perimeter the prison has. It is surrounded by fences, which keep it safe, but the perimeter of the fence is pretty big and eventually there will be security breaches - say if a huge herd of walkers comes through and knocks the fence over. Rick's group just isn't big enough to keep such a huge place safe, or big enough to defend it from other groups.

I think an abandoned hotel might be nice - board up the windows and doors on the bottom floor so nothing can get in and live in the rooms on the upper floors. Keep a pathway to the outside open (but close-able, for security reasons) and use it quietly to get more supplies when you need to.

7. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

[MENTION=3918]Gilligan[/MENTION]: You would venture back to a major city? Or are we talking hotel on the highway hotel? I just personally think that the secure nature of the prison is what appealed to rick. Worse come to worst, you lock in your cell block and pick off the attackers one at a time(assuming they're already dead). Alive humans pose an entirely different problem. Especially if they're well armed. But then again our crew (on tv) aren't exactly the most careful with their ammunition. Seems like every episode someone says "We're low on ammo" and then they go on a shooting spree.

8. Gilligan

Gilligan Member

I'm talking about a hotel along the highway or in a smaller town.

At this point, I think they need to worry more about other survivors than the zombies... But I think it's going to take a little longer before Rick's group fully realizes that.

9. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Clearing out the prison is extremely ideal. Especially after what just happened. I don't know that leaving the prison would produce great outcomes. The structure does most of the work for you.

10. dax

dax Member

It would be nice to clear out the prison....but I'm guessing that is not possible cause civilian zombies keep getting in. This means there is already a breach in the prison and Axel and Oscar already said the other side of the prison is infested with zombies. So in my opinion there are probably too many zombies for the group to clear out. They are low on ammo and low on man power. If it were me....I'd try to head to Canada and hope the harsh winters help slow down the walkers. Find a place to hold up there and kill as many walkers during the cold months...hopefully make some friends along the way.

11. Al Davis is back

My #1 goal is to get to that armory, now that i am supplied with food. It might be intact and have enough ammo for years to come (maybe not at the rate they shoot).

My #2 goal is get running water and devise some sort of system to grow crops in the prison. Crude hydroponics. Plenty of sunshine in Georgia.

#3 Killing all the walkers makes the prison too inviting to others. I would get as many walkers outside the fence and into the yard as I could. Pied Piper routine. Anyone driving by would not want to take a chance with so many walkers in the yard and probably keep moving on.The inside of the prison would remain safe and one could barricade the crap out of the entrances into the prison. Crude penicillin can be made off a citrus peel and a little science knowledge.

As long as you had running water, you could live and be a vegetarian. Instead of a moat, you would have a river of walker outside and you would be armed to the teeth inside. Winter in Georgia isn't winter in Alaska. A few warm coats and sleeping bag, and you would be fine. The prison probably has exercise equipment, movies, library, laundry, and such that would give you something to do while you are in there. The problem is if someone in the group turns or you needed to leave the prison (fire? medical? going stir crazy?). Daryl isn't sticking around...maybe Carol (wish she would have died instead of the dog)...but the rest of them could make it work.

12. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

My main concern about using the prison is the constant danger of walkers "you might have missed" while cleaning it out. It's way too easy to be of boxed into a cell (it's happened several times on the show already). Also if a huge herd of walkers breached the fences, and you sought refuge in a cell...well then adios muchachos and hola starvation/dehydration!! Number #1 priority for the prison would be having several emergency exits for when the "shit hits"...

13. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

Only problem with Goal #1 is that they already stated that the armory was picked clean in this episode.

14. Al Davis is back

I missed that. Back to the drawing board. :Grin:

15. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

You are so right. As soon as I saw that prison at the end of S2, I knew that they were going to try to take and hold it and that it was a really bad decision. As you say, they don't have the manpower.

If they had:

1. Merged with Randall's group
    2. Left the farm before they got overrun and
    3. Integrated all the surviving prisoners

Then they might have enough people to take and hold the place. But to do so, they would need to establish strict protocols:

1. The buddy system. No one does anything without back-up.
    2. No one goes unarmed. Anywhere.
    3. A minimum of twice daily (sunup and sundown) patrols of the perimeter, checking every point of possible entry.
    4. Continuous coverage by sharpshooters from the towers, watches of no more than a half-hour.

But the fences do not constitute a substantial barrier against a large herd, and the danger of those will be greater as more of them form into super-herds. At the least, even if they managed to pull everyone into the prison, itself, and not suffer any casualties during a herd attack, they would lose all of their crops.

I don't know if a hotel is appropriate (some of them have interior courtyards, which would be handy, but most of them just have too many exterior entrances) but they need some sort of fortified compound with layered defenses against herd and raider attack.

A prison is also a bad place for morale's sake - those places are designing to be wearing to the human spirit. A growth of crops would soften it, but that makes spending the winter there all the harder.

And I"m not sure why folks think that heading north would make things better. I'd be heading south - if a zombie is decomposed, it won't be a threat (their teeth will fall out eventually) and we now have evidence (the prison walkers) that they do decompose over time. This will be happening faster down south where it's warmer.