Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

When Daryl and Negan come face to face again...

Discussion in 'Episode 916 - The Storm' started by BlackBird, Apr 6, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I hope you don't mind if I start a new thread, as a newbie? And apologies if it is something you've
    already discussed.

Daryl and Negan have been purposefully kept apart all through season 9. The time for them to meet again is surely coming in season 10. I can't wait to see how that will play out.

Understandably, we all have very mixed feelings about Negan and his redemption arc, covering a wide range of where we are actually sitting in our acceptance of it, and how far we think we can be stretched to believe that someone like him can be forgiven and redeemed.

I love that we have this hard and challenging dilemma, with such a complex character, it's fascinating.

We have seen Michonne's journey with this throughout the season, and we have kind of lived it with her. But we have also seen everything through Judith's eyes as well. She knows this man has done monstrous things, yet he's always been kind and generous with her. She's giving him a chance, and so far he's done nothing to break her trust.

Whilst we, like Michonne, can't forget what this man was once capable of, and understandably harbour serious doubt whether a leopard can ever change his spots.

Yet, the man is undeniably changing. Thankfully, he's still the same asshole he always was (because that's hugely entertaining) but eight years confinement, and the friendship a lovely child has offered him, has given him time and purpose to move forward.

But how will Daryl deal with this, when they inevitably come face to face soon, now that he's gone back to live in Alexandria, and Negan will most likely be put on some kind of probation soon, after his snowstorm heroics?

We have seen Daryl rise above with Dwight. Will he be able to do it with Negan too? How will that go down? What are your thoughts?

#1 BlackBird, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. First off, I’d like to see what role Negan has in the community, if any, after his “snow time heroics” (I like that).
    Will he be free to roam around? Do they return him to “jail”?

If he’s roaming around I can picture one of the first things out of Daryl’s mouth will be something like, “What’s that asshole doing out of his cell?” Then a quick follow up,after Michonne tells Daryl why, to the effect that he’ll be keeping his eyes on him and if Negan does anything that seems remotely threatening he’ll kill him.

I don’t trust Negan as far as I could throw him, and I truely believe that he ran the Sanctuary the way he did not because he had to keep a lot of bad hombres under control but because he enjoyed terrorizing people. He’s adaptable, no doubt, and right now it wouldn’t pay him to try anything funny cause as he found out, there’s not a whole lot left for him “out there.”

Not saying he doesn’t have a soft spot for kids either, cause he seems to genuinely enjoy their company, but kids grow up. If Judith survives into adulthood, what kind of relationship will he have with her then?

The upcoming war with the Whisperers will no doubt shift roles and attitudes depending on what occurs. Even if Negan proves himself to be a team player, he should always be on “parole” .

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I looked forward to their first interactions. Judith will probably stand between them and call them both assholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. BlackBird

That's hilarious, @Sharpie61, and so plausible, and now I really have to see that happen on screen! :)

5. BlackBird

Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, that sounds like Daryl. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine they'd put Negan back in the cell 24/7 after this. And I can't imagine Daryl ever be ok with that. Perhaps after Negan'd gone out to risk his life for the community and eliminated either Alpha or Beta, that might help his case, but until then, he should probably avoid Daryl.

I don't think we can ever trust him either, because I agree, he did take pleasure in terrorising people, he got off on people "pissing their pants" as he liked to call it.
    He definitely enjoyed the drama. And who knows how long he will be satisfied with the meagre adrenaline rush of taking the piss out of Father-not-the-father Gabriel.
    However, I think he was also reigning with terror to keep people in line, like he said. He did need to control some utter psychos, like Simon. But still, no excuses. He was absolutely vile.

Interesting question about Judith growing up. I think Negan's continued good relationship with her is his key to find a way into the community. I can imagine that relationship to last beyond Judith's childhood. Somehow, this feels the one genuinely good thing about this man. He liked Carl too, sure, but that was more like a fascination, and it wasn't pure, as he used Carl mercilessly to manipulate Rick. We will never know whether he was actually going through with killing Carl just before Sheeva pounced on his ass. It sure looked like he was going to.
    Not things we can easily forget.

So when you say, no matter how useful and loyal he will prove himself in the future, he should always be on "parole" . Exactly like you said, totally agree.

#5 BlackBird, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

LANGUAGE!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Lindigo

I can't even guess what will happen, but I wanted to say I love your siggy pic with the synchronous boots. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. BlackBird

Well, the bar has been set here really high with fabulous siggy pics, so... :):cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BlackBird

When Angela said the season was about TIME, it all just clicked so beautifully for me. How some things change over time, how some things don't. How little some people might have of it, how precious it is. How we try to hold onto it, how we try forget about it, how we mustn't, how it constricts us and liberates us. Basically, everything can be freshly seen and reinterpreted, when you think, this season was about TIME. I just really like that.

The frustrating thing is that often there is no time (lol) on the show to show us everything we want to see. It would be impossible. And what is very important for someone, might not be for others, so they have to make decisions about what they show, and often we are left to put the pieces together.

I just hope that something like this first meeting in 8 years between these two characters won't be skipped over, but I get the feeling, with another little time jump it might be. My prediction is that we might not get to see the first time, instead we will see Daryl looking at Negan sending daggers from his eyeballs, and yes, I like @Sharpie61's idea a lot. Negan trying to be "friendly" laced with very bad jokes, and Daryl trying to restraint his twitchy fingers around his knives, and Judith bouncing in between them to defuse with a well placed "assholes".
    I bet the writers were sweating buckets over how to write this scene, and here is the perfect solution.

Seriously though, I'd love a sincere apology from Negan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Sharpie61

Sorry

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Lindigo

I'm teasing!!! It's just what Judith always says to Negan. lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Sharpie61

I know. And usually he apologizes.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Ha!i I knew it!

14. Lindigo

Right over my head. Whoosh. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to see your siggy pic on my pc today. (I’m on my phone on weekends)

16. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

And in stereo, they could both say to her, "LANGUAGE!" LOL!!

EDIT: Aw rats - I didn't see @Lindigo 's post above! :oops::)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Sharpie61

I really hope this happens.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BlackBird

If that won't break the ice between them, nothing will...:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

I love Negan and as a “fan girl” I’m glad he is getting his redemption. I want him as part of the community. However, I don’t think they would ever be able to forgive him for all he put them through. The execution of Abe and Glenn were terrible, but everyone has killed and done terrible things, so I can see them looking past that eventually. The acts to follow (taking their mattresses and burning them, stripping them of all their guns, taking their dignity and doing it with a ruthless smile and no regret.. those things I feel like could be unredeeming.. and leaving them with scarce food with a big middle finger in their faces).. realistically (for an apocalyptic show) I don’t think Negan would be given any second chances, especially when it came down to Daryl having an opinion. He treated Daryl like a dog slave with no remorse.

But, hey, give me farmer Negan with his sleeves rolled up and I’m a happy gal. It’s a win-win for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BlackBird

I agree with you, @HonestAbe, it's not the fact Negan executed Abe and Glenn, but the how he did it, and what he did after. Our group had it coming. Rick was such a smug asshole at that point, thinking they were all invincible. They also killed a lot of Negan's people. So they got off lightly with just two deaths and one prisoner, if we only consider the body count. But the psychological harm, the terror, the humiliation, that's what made Negan evil beyond words and pretty much irredeemable. I couldn't agree more that keeping him alive was crazy, even with Carl's letter and last wish... it was not Negan where they should have started to be merciful. They should have put him on a trial. That's what should have happened. And he should have been sentenced to death for what he did. Not for killing people. They've all killed people. But for taking pleasure in it, for killing just for the fun of it, for using murder as an act of terrorism to enslave communities. That makes him a liability to be released into the community ever again, even after a long prison sentence. But to keep him alive and feed him, wash his clothes, clean out his shit bucket, for the rest of his life, in the apocalypse where resources are scarce and he does zero work (in return for people basically taking care of him and keeping him safe), that's just insane.

And yet here we are, pushed up against the wall watching his redemption arc, and one by one we are beginning to crumble. I can't move on until he shows sincere remorse. And yet, part of me is rooting for him, I think mostly because Judith has faith in him, and I don't want her disappointed. I want him to do something amazing for this community, to begin to pay them back for keeping him alive, despite everything he did to harm them.

I certainly don't love him. Lol. But I really like his character.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2