Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

WHEN was Beta whipping Alpha?

Discussion in 'Episode 916 - The Storm' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Lindigo's thread reminded me to make this one. My big question about that whipping scene was WHEN did it occur? There was no snow, and things were quite green. My initial thought was they were jumping back a few weeks to a previous time, maybe the time right after the pikes. But Beta said "the time away has been good for the pack, and for you". What time away? And they made a point of showing Alpha making the whip out of a twig of nice green leaves in her hand. Was that a time jump? Were we seeing the following spring? And they spent some "time away" over the winter? Which means Zeke and Judith were talking on the radio the following spring, or even later.

I think we saw another several month time jump at the end of this episode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I think it was in the future just because of the “time away” comment.

Do you hear an echo? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I totally missed the time jump. I love this forum. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Yeah it initially didn't dawn on me that Zeke's and Judith's scene were so far in the future. I thought maybe it was a week or two later, and that major storm had just passed. But now putting everything together with the whipping scene, I think we were probably seeing around May of the following year....which would line up perfectly with S10 filming [starting in May] and the actor's attire.

For so many seasons I was like "come on....let's get some time jumps here, this show needs to move forward, catch up with Carl"....now that Carl is dead its like "SLOW DOWN! Every 3 episodes we fly far into the future!"

Likely as much time passed in the last 3 minutes of this episode as did from the beginning of Season 4 to the end of Season 8 [which all took place over 4 or 5 months].

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Probably costs too much to make snow, so they jumped ahead a few months.

They said the storm was early, so I guess it would have been Nov. With a few months jump to spring, if we do mark it as May,that means Rosita will have already had the baby when Alpha was getting whipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Neuropyramidal

Either that or she will be on the verge of giving birth. We could end up with another labor scene during some complicated situation.

And we will probably have Antony Azor again as the actor for RJ, since the amount of time passing in our universe would be exactly the same as in theirs.

And right, not only is it probably expensive to keep that snow going, but it will also be May/June/July Georgia heat in the first few episodes of S10. So the actors would be forced to bundle up in heavy coats, hats and scarfs in that weather. It was probably more passable in November, when they filmed the finale. But still I bet they were toasty.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I don't think it was a matter of time but distance.

Zeke says something about "when the winter months pass" to Judith, indicating that conversation is taking place while they are still in winter. The green foliage surrounding Alpha and Beta don't look like it's still winter, if they are in the same area it would have to be much later in the spring. Beta says "The time away has been good for the pack". This makes me think the Whisperers moved South to avoid the blizzard. They live outdoors and they would have died if they stayed where they were. So I think they simply moved further South to avoid the heavy snow and will be returning to their area after the snow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

That makes a lot of sense. No way would they have lived through the winter. Piking our community members instilled enough fear that it would seem no one was willing to challenge the boundaries Alpha set which provided cover for the fact that they had moved further south. It was only when the heavy storm forced their hand did they venture into Whisperer territory, and I believe it was mentioned that it wasn't known if the Whisperers were there or not when they did it.

Alpha was letting herself get whipped, I believe, because she's planning to move north once again when weather allows and she's gonna be going up against the communities that gave Lydia asylum. She wants to be immune to pain starting with physical pain.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I just rewatched the scene, and Zeke's dialogue is kind of ambiguous talking about the "winter of discontent ending, the snow melts and the winds end, and we never know what the glorious summer will bring". I initially thought he was just speaking metaphorically, like the winter was just hard times. And they did move South, and took the herd with them, but Beta's dialogue I took as meaning the time away was in the past tense, as if they were back again, but I think its just as likely, if not more likely, that they are still in winter during Zeke's scene, I agree. Maybe later in winter going towards spring.

In either case, I think it will be spring again when we next see them. I doubt they will want to do more snow for the premiere.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Yea, as amazing as the snow scenes were. Logistically I don't see them doing that again, perhaps a thawing out episode and future snow episodes, but I can't imagine they will do many.

11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I live in North Texas and with the exception of a few frigid days here and there we had a very mild winter. I would say on average we were in the upper 50s to mid 60s. When we have these mild winters the trees begin to blossom in February. It would make sense, that while still technically winter, if they moved south they could be experiencing the green effect

12. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

I can't help but wonder how long it would take them to march that huge herd a couple of states to the south to avoid the cold and snow, and the reserves it would take them to make it themselves. They don't carry supplies with them. Of course, maybe they went to the Morgan Jones school of road travel.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think the massive herd was left just in that valley for the whole winter. Only the Whisperers migrated south.

14. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

at least Morgan ran all the way to Texas, can you image how long it takes to shuffle like a walker a couple of states south? :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Neuropyramidal

Angela Kang said on TTD that they directed the herd south along with them.

16. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

As amazingly cheesy and fake? ;-)

As for the rest, you're right, they went South for the winter. Got some iced margaritas on the beach with their herd of snowbirds and will be back later to avoid explaining how they would have survived in their crappy camp when everybody else was dying... The zombies will come back with a nice tan and sunglasses.

The Whisperers make so little sense. Why would they be living in a State that freezes in the winter if they don't want to take shelter and keep living in the woods?

And if that badly staged winterstorm was such a threat for our group, why is it the first time we see snow in the story of their survival?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Blueman

wow! That was a huge effort. I imagine it was very difficult to move the herd (numbering thousands) through forest and plains. Maybe they chose a certain 4-lane or 8-lane highway? And, the march could not be done in hours but in days or weeks. So, some time during the trip, they had to find a good place large enough to hold the herd while 'spending the night resting', so to speak. And, with the back and forth trips, they could lose 10-15% (just my guess) of the herd due to 'natural wandering off' while on the road. Amazing job!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blueman

I also wonder why the whisperers just do not stay down south once migrated there since they are nomadic.

19. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, it seems like way too much effort for very little return. But this is a group who chose to live wearing a corpses face on their face, so...I guess I don't put anything past them. And true they would definitely lose some to wandering off, but I'm thinking they probably gain a lot too. they probably sweep along like a vacuum, collecting walkers as they go, and even merging with other herds. I'd rather spend all winter in the dentist chair, but to each their own ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Omg I totally agree. Why keep going back?????

• Like Like x 1