Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Who Give's a F---? Daryl Did.

Discussion in 'Episode 904 - The Obliged' started by Weallgotit, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Have to say I was a bit surprised to hear Daryl drop the F-bomb on tonight's episode. In a conversation with Rick at that. That was yet another deep convo between them too. But I was trying to remember if I have heard anyone on TWD say the F-bomb on the AMC airwaves before. I remember them talking about doing it once at some point during the second half of last season but I don't think we got it. Or maybe I missed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

On AMC's Preacher, Herr Starr said fuck in the season 3 finale, and the closed captioning actually spelled it out. When Daryl said it, he kind of did a really short-stop version of the word, and the CC said "no audio" lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Honestly, TWD should've been dropping the occasional F bomb since S1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

No audio? Lol. But I do love how he said it. In a pissed off, real world way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

And what is this newfangled "bomb of F" crap making the rounds lately, like is this some kind of delicate fashionable way of saying the EFF word? <- I get that on some particular media they now censor this beautiful word so do you like hold your cup of tea with the pinky finger sticking out while you say it or what?

6. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

This is not a kids show and if people are worried about their kids hearing it on tv they are ridiculous. If they ride the bus they have heard (and probably said) much worse. I think people look for things to be offended by. A lot worse things happen on this show than an F bomb.

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It flies out of my mouth on a daily basis.....and if I am to be completely honest it flies out of my mouth several times per day LOL

As a child (and this was many moons ago) my parents were never the type to shy away from or try to shield us from the popular curse words of the day. Now granted by today's standards their library of expletives was considerably more tame than today. Sign of the times is all that boils down to. Anyway.....their use of those words did not scar me. It did not send me down the path of no redemption. They never chastised me for using them as I grew into my middle school/high school age. For me they were just words that were used to express anger, frustration, disbelief, etc. They were never this notion of being taboo.

So it is quite difficult for me to wrap my head around people becoming so enraged over a word...being used on a television show that is geared to an older-ish audience

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Actually it's been used before on TWD. At least once. I think they are allowed one a season.

9. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

I know it was used on Fear by Nick, I don't remember it in the last 3 years on TWD, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.

10. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

It's a strange old world when they're restricted from using a word too often, but can and do show intense, graphic violence on a regular basis. It's not a family show. I doubt that too many children are watching. If they are, I'm sure they're more affected by the visuals than the language.

11. PepperAnn

They did at least once because I was all WOAH and rewound. LOL

12. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

They garbled it on my showing and I don't remember seeing anything in the closed captions.

13. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

It's never been said on TWD during broadcast, as far as I remember. Only on the dvds.

Fear had two, and amc said they were giving each show two per season, but we didn't have any in s4 ftwd or s8 of twd.

It was the prefect placement of it, Daryl giving an emotional speech.

Let that sink in for a moment, Daryl gave an emotional speech. I love this season.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I remember a time or two where someone went "fu- and then kind of cut it off with a breath so that it gave the impression of the full word, but I don't remember it ever being said fully with closed captioning. There has been a few F bombs on the DVD/Bluray versions though.

15. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

Haven't heard it used on air before, and only remember two times ( not counting Negan's alternate f-laden intro) on DVD, both times by Rick.

My memory might be faulty, though. Daryl may have said it in an alternatate take.

16. PepperAnn

It was said once. I can't remember the scene specifically but I remember rewinding because I wasn't sure my ears were deceiving me. LOL

17. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

It's funny. We hear that word all the time, movies, real life. But when we hear it in places it doesn't normally belong, it hits you like a brick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

The censors must be on red alert by the time it gets to the Pacific Time showing because I have never heard it.

19. PepperAnn

Yeah it was clear as day here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

The FCC does not censor basic cable, rather it is the individual channel that opts to self censor. No doubt a kneel to advertisers.

For instance, FX uses the word F*ck on the regular and it is part of basic cable programming as is AMC

So I think it is a matter of preference rather than regulation

https://www.slashfilm.com/swearing-on-syfy-and-usa/

From the article:
    "Previously, swearing on SyFy and USA stuck to the guidelines laid out by the Federal Communications Commission, but as a basic cable channel, their Standards and Practices division was not actually beholden to follow those rules strictly. Instead, they answer to their advertisers, who traditionally don’t like it when things get controversial on television programming, and that includes salty language, especially when it comes to network television like NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. So they’ve kept things clean for the most part."
    The only thing holding back basic cable networks from using what is considered to be more vulgar language is their advertisers.

• Informative Informative x 2