Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why did Negan tie up Lydia?

Discussion in 'Episode 1012 - Walk With Us' started by IfDarylDiesRiot, Mar 18, 2020.

1. IfDarylDiesRiot

I had a feeling Lydia was not in the cabin Negan brought Alpha to, but why tie up Lydia and go through all of that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

We've been pondering that in several threads. Lol

Best answer we can come up with is poor writing to keep viewers confused.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

It was a throwback to when the Governor handcuffed Andrea to that barber chair in the season 3 finale. :p

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The idea was that he wanted to lure Alpha someplace private so he could kill her. If he was going to use the ruse that Lydia was tied up in a cabin, then he actually had to get her out of the picture so Alpha wouldn't see her running around in the vicinity. This was a fairly small area everyone was running around in. People were bumping into each other. Lydia wouldn't have agreed to it, and he didn't have time to explain and make her trust him. Which she likely wouldn't have anyway. So, it was just to get her 'off the streets' so she wouldn't be spotted while he found Alpha and brought her someplace private.

#4 Neuropyramidal, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. PepperAnn

Oh yeah, forgot about that explanation. LOL

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

This is a very thorough explanation, and almost convinces me, except Lydia appeared to be pleased to see Negan first, she had no reason not to trust him, and in the time it took Negan to tie up Lydia so thoroughly, he could have explained to Lydia what he needed to do and why (sorry kid, your mother wants to kill you and Beta is out there looking for you) and just asked her to stay hidden in that cabin until he comes back for her. This traumatised Lydia unnecessarily in my opinion.

So I think I'm going with @PepperAnn's explanation, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Neuropyramidal

But he had no reason to believe he could convince Lydia of that. He knows that Lydia still loves her mom, even though she hates what her mom and the whisperer's are doing. Even though she is on the good side of the fight now, I don't think Negan would jump to the conclusion that she would hide to help cooperate with the plan of killing her mother. And from the viewer's standpoint he may well have been wise not to assume this, considering Lydia left her mother alive an episode earlier. The way he did it made it a sure thing, and took her out as a wildcard. This was a job that had to go off without a hitch. I'm fine with how it went down. There have been a few things this season that were a a bit of a stretch, but I don't think this was one of them.

#7 Neuropyramidal, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. PepperAnn

Plus there would have had to have been a pretty extensive scene of him convincing her this needs to be done in order for it to work for the viewers and we didn't have time for that with all that was already packed into the episode.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BlackBird

You make a really solid argument, I must say. But I’m still not ok with it, especially because besides traumatising her (yet another person she thought she could trust used/turned on her) he had in fact put her in grave danger by tying her up defenceless. It really doesn’t sit right with me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BlackBird

lol, you’ve deserted me

11. PepperAnn

LMAO!!!

Nevah! I still think it might be lazy writing. I am just keeping my mind open. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. BlackBird

Very wise.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Neuropyramidal

True, the plan had its dangers to Lydia, I acknowledge that. His reasoning was probably that as long as he closed the door and latched it, she'd be okay sleeping it off for the short period until he got back to her. But to do otherwise would have left too many variables.

In addition to Alpha, many whisperers were in the area. And as we always hear "...we are ....always....watching....". If a whisperer saw him dragging Lydia to a cabin, that would be perfect. It might get reported back to Alpha beforehand and then when Negan told her the story it would fit perfectly. On the other hand, if a whisperer reported to Alpha "hey, your daughter is alive and we just saw that guy Negan talking with her for a few minutes, and then they parted ways", then when Negan came and told Alpha he had her captured, she would have known immediately it was a trick, and Negan goes bye-bye.

One thing is for sure, it will be interesting to see their relationship going forward.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Neuropyramidal

And even if she was like "Sure Negan, I'll go hide", would Negan be wise to trust that she really would do that? The way it went down took much of the chance out of the equation. The chance of being observed, the chance of Lydia lying, the chance of Alpha spotting Lydia in the meantime, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Late to this discussion but I think Lydia was not going to stay in the cabin when she knew Negan is going to kill her mom (assuming Negan telling her).

Then, there is another remote possibility: Negan could actually lead Alpha to the cabin where he has tied her up.
    To me, Negan had not really made up his mind 100% (despite his deal with Carol) to kill Alpha until the moment he gave that speech to Alpha (ie his wife died and he felt nothing and that's his strength...and Alpha was really bullshit and wanted to kill her own flesh and blood). So, he led her to the fake cabin.

But, if somehow perhaps Alpha had a change of mind and decided not to kill Lydia, Negan might lead her to the real cabin.

Could this be what's in Negan's mind?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I took it as, he tied her up to make her stay put. He didn’t need for her to accidentally run into Alpha.

The truth is out there

17. Neuropyramidal

This is a possible additional reason I suppose, because he did genuinely seem to be trying to reason with Alpha in hopes she would change her mind. Its a bit risky though because if he did lead to her Lydia's cabin, Lydia might very well say something to piss Alpha off and change her mind into killing her again.

18. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

That was how I saw it as I watched the episode.
    He needed her to stay put and since he really didn’t know how she would react to his plan, it was best to keep her clueless.

It also added excitement to the episode. Lol

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  19. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Thank you. I like this idea because I think Negan is still a bit of a wild card, not totally redeemed. Yeah, he likes the kids but he’s unpredictable. I feel it was entirely possible that if Alpha had seemed to go along with his ideas he may have reunited her with her daughter. I don’t know if he’ll ever get to the point where he can be totally trusted. I mean once you’ve been a viscous dictator is it really gonna come easily to play nIce with others?
    I was relieved to see he came through at the end on this one though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Yes, Negan did not seem to set dead on from the beginning to kill Alpha.
    I think, when Negan suggested to Alpha not destroying Hilltop but to assimilate the Hilltop people to be Whisperers, Negan was subtly giving her a chance to turn back to a good direction. Negan did give her a few chances along the way.