Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why did Shane shoot Otis in the leg?

Discussion in 'Episode 202 - Bloodletting' started by Kevlar, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Kevlar

Kevlar Member

Seriously what a dick move shooting him in the leg so he suffers why didn't he do the ethical thing and shoot him in the face, I know I'm in the minority here but it's the only one of Shane's decisions I didn't agree with

2. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

If he killed him the zombies probably would've still went for Shane cause he's still alive.

3. ForceReaper

ForceReaper Member

Otis screaming attracted walkers, which they seem to like. And he would've been dead he would be no use. =)

4. apiratesaysarrr

Eh, in all fairness, Otis WAS slowing him down at that point. If I look at it from an asshole point of view, I want to shoot him in the leg as well! Me being actually nice and all, I probably couldn't do it.

He shot him so that the zombies would be distracted eating Otis and he could make an easier exit. He wasn't being sadistic, in a sense, he was actually being practical. ONE of them needed to get those supplies back to the farm. Otis was lagging, may not have made it either way, he gets shot. Shane knew he had a better chance of making it back than Otis did.

That sounds cold, but like I said, I can pretend I'm an asshole for a minute to see what an asshole might be thinking. I don't know, it was either Otis getting eaten by himself or probably both of them getting eaten if Shane didn't shoot him.

I, NOT being an asshole actually might do it too. Which life do you choose? The kid's life or Otis' life? It's one or the other at that point. It's a messed up world. Even moral people have to do immoral things. Not that Shane was necessarily moral, at that point anyway.

I don't see why Dale was all worked up over it. I mean, yeah, he was a very moral character and that's why I liked him so much. But he didn't seem to understand what you'd need to do in order to actually survive in that world. "I know what kind of man you are." Yeah, he's the kind of man that had to choose between saving Otis and probably dying in the process, or making it back to the farm to save the kid.

I honestly think I defend Shane WAY too much in any given conversation. Or, well, I don't think that, but my friends totally do.

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Active Member

What they said, the zombies only want living prey. Leaving him alive but dis-abled gave Shane more time to make his escape

But also from a plot line point of view- I think it was to show how Shane was turning more ruthless and to begin to villify him

6. Kevlar

Kevlar Member

I'm not questioning why he shot Otis at all I absolutely would have done the same thing probably sooner ( well actually I would have gone about the whole thing differently and it would never have needed to happen) but I totally get Shane shooting him but why make him suffer the zombies I feel would stop to eat him weather it was the leg or the face hasnt it been made pretty clear that they smell us so I feel like the living thing has absolutely nothing to do with the zombies eating someone they just need to smell fresh I mean Lori got ate and she was dead I just don't get why the leg? To be an ass hole and make another human suffer? And plus had Otis been dead there would have been no struggle for the pack and Shane could have gotten away faster and why couldn't they run away? Exhaustion? In that cinerio the adrenaline and instinct to stay alive would totally over ride your pain and exhaustion, obviously Shane wasn't seriously injured on his ancle, he's supposed to be such a tough guy and he was being a total poonta kinte

7. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

He shot him in the leg so they could have the tussle and Shane would get his hair ripped out, the writers felt it was essential for Shane to have a new hairstyle

8. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

...because Shane was a douche. Otis would have still been warm and fresh, so they still would've eaten him if Shane had shot him in the head.

Shane's commotion likely would have distracted a few of them into continuing the chase, but nothing he couldn't have gotten away from.

9. NameTaker

NameTaker Member

I think Shane wasn't really thinking about what was a good ethical choice in that moment, he just knew he had to get the hell out of there and save Carl. Thinking in the moment, on his feet.

10. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

The whole scene showed that Shane wasn't thinking very clearly. He should have taken Otis's pack ("Come on, let me take it or they'll get us both!"), gotten ahead of Otis and *then* shot him in the leg. As it was, he lost most of the time he bought with Otis's death fighting with Otis and then being even more hurt in the last part of his escape.

My husband replied that Shane was unable to think about it at that level because he couldn't think about what he was about to do - that even though he knew it was necessary that leaving Otis like that was still reprehensible to him. So he acted without thinking.

I completely agree with Kevlar that a different strategy would have negated the necessity completely. It could have even kept Shane from his downward moral spiral.

11. highway234

highway234 Member

It's interesting because I was just re-watching this part of the show and Otis says a bunch of stuff about how he knew he was slowing shane down and pretty much knew he wasn't going to make it out of there alive. So in a weird way Otis was practically begging shane to shoot him. I wound up judging shane a little less for shooting otis the second time watching the ep, which is uncharacteristic for me because i'm typically pretty pro-rick, anti-shane.

12. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Shane wanted to be the hero & be accepted again by Lori and in some ways Rick..

The only way to do that was shoot poor Otis & get the supplies back to Herschel in his mind..

This act was the demise of Shane. Guilt, obsession, self loathing & hatred..

13. Shane#22

Shane#22 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, why this is even a question is dumb, common sense says they both wasnt going to make it, Shane takes the shot and he and Carl live on, if he doesnt all 3 die.

And to be fair Shane DID tell him to take the bag and get out of there but dummy Otis refused.

14. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The only part about this that doesn't make sense to me is both were more than far enough ahead for them both to live. He had time to stop and stare at Otis for awhile and then fight off Otis when he grabbed him for another few minutes before the walkers even got close and then barely needed to run to get to the truck. They both could have easily gotten back...

15. Shane#22

Walker were gaining with every step so who knows if they would have made it, maybe shooting/fighting Otis took less time than it would have took to reach the truck and now with Otis as bait there was plenty of time.

16. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I just rewatched the scene to make sure. Both Shane and Otis were moving at the exact same speed. In fact Otis was actually ahead of Shane until Shane stopped. Shane was limping from the fall. They were moving faster than the walkers and the truck was close. Without the wasted time of the fight they were practically home free

17. Shane#22

S and O may have been moving at the same speed but the walkers were gaining more with each step it seemed.

18. Shane#22

I mean even before Shane hurt his leg and tubby Otis got winded they were still barely keeping ahead of the walkers so it would make sense that the walkers are now faster.

19. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not quickly enough to catch them. that is my point. If they kept that up they would have made it back. I think if Shane hadn't started to fall already he would have realized. he was so desperate to keep Carl alive and maybe a shot at Lori that he killed Otis to give him a better chance (since it technically does even though it wasn't necessary). If it was a selfless act not at all focused on ensuring he be the white knight he could have realized that there wasn't even a need to kill Otis in the first place or realized if anything Otis might have even had a better chance than him. he was the one struggling to keep up and get away.

20. Shinra

Shinra Member

This show is unclear with how the walkers even manage to keep up with survivors who are supposedly running at full pelt. They shouldn't be hard to outrun but this seemingly isn't the case. They either stay just ahead of them when they're running or they stay just ahead of them when they're limping. The show can't keep it consistent so I just kinda ignore it to be honest. If the implied reason for Shane shooting Otis in the leg is that they wouldn't have gotten away otherwise, I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

This argument could go on all day otherwise.