Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why did they agree to Slaughter the soldiers?

Discussion in 'Episode 303 - Walk with Me' started by Fivespddisco, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Fivespddisco

Fivespddisco New Member

Please no spoilers.
    I just don't understand why armed men would agree to go along with the governor.
    I don't know why but I have a sneaking suspicion that he has something else that is stopping them from taking him down.
    Anybody else think he has some Secret that is stopping people like Merle?
    And what the hell are they working on that lab?

2. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

This has only been one episode and there is a lot of character development for The Governor and so far, he's really complicated to understand, I wonder myself how he has men that agree to do stuff like this. Not to mention, it seems like the same men he's always bringing. The same men at the helicopter crash site so I wonder why they are so special. Maybe he has put some kind of fear into them that will make them loyal 100 percent.

And about the lab, The science guy there Milton is just spending all this time and intelligence to understand the walkers (or biters). He was fascinated by how Michonne used the pet walkers so he thinks a repellent could be used.

3. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

The why his militants do what he wants can be explained through gang mentality. There is safety in that group if you conform, so they conform..

The Governor is manipulating them also & he doesn't want any group taking over his town & his status in it..

4. Fivespddisco

Fivespddisco New Member

That's a good theory. I think there could be more but what do I know.

5. trmitchell4

trmitchell4 New Member

Classic Warlord

Why did they slaughter the soldiers?

The Governor seems like a classic warlord. He has charisma and power, and projects the image of a safe harbor in a very unsafe/uncertain world. His gunners follow him because he has apparently led them, thus far, to a safe and habitable place. He is also willing to 'go first' and take some risk like he did with the first shot. Additionally, his closest comrades probably recognize that he is stone cold crazy. Clearly, the Gov did not want to let a group of armed and organized men enter the "community" that he has organized and dominates. He just wanted their supplies in this new, Darwinian existence.

In summary, behavior like his passes for leadership in the zombie apocalypse and in today's world, in conflict-ridden regions/countries.

6. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

This may sound insulting, I don't mean it that way

1. For the same reason armed men followed Hitler, Stalin and Mao. Charisma and gang mentality.
    2. He has probably handled a revolt, brutally. (Might be where most of the heads are from.)
    3. Probably the 15 guys with guns. Merle doesn't have what it takes to die for an ideal
    4. Simple, they are trying to gain ANY information they can.

The most telling question is why would the National Guard set up a base of operations (even a temporary one) in hostile territory WITHOUT AN ADVANCE GUARD! It's SOP to have 20 to 25% of your people on Guard!

#6 Casca910, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I already know, but you asked for no spoilers so i guess you'll have to wait it out...

8. ballincrazie

ballincrazie Member

the governor is a scavenger and the governors men will do what he says

9. isysman

isysman New Member

Hi folks,

I found this site after last night's episode (Walk with Me) as I just felt the episode wasn't credible. I refer to the group of civilians sneaking up on trained soldiers and taking them all out. It was so false, they (the soldiers) would have been set up to look out for walkers so would have had guards posted and they had heavy weapons.

I know it's a show about zombies and I need to suspend my disbelieve but it also needs to be credible about real world scenarios and that one just wasn't.

I'm ex military (British) and I've worked with the Americans and they are much more professional.

10. ryannasaurus

ryannasaurus Member

Their resources are limited. They need to restock, and since they don't scavenge, they have to go raid other people's parties. They can't bring in more people to their group because that's just more mouths to feed. So, this is what they do. They know that they are part of the group and won't be backstabbed. Only newcomers will be backstabbed. So the Governor's men go along with his plan because they know they need to get new supplies to stay safe, and they know the Governor will never turn on them so they can trust him.

Now why do they seem to have a bunch of civilians in there if resources are limited and the civilians do nothing to enhance survival? Why not just have a gang or an army? Why does he need a civilization? I don't know. Why pretend this place is going to bring salvation and lead humanity to triumph over the zombies? I don't know. It seems like it's only because the Governor wants to think the place he has created is something special and that he, it's creator, is a savior.

#10 ryannasaurus, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

In reality yes military would have had look outs around their perimeter & would have been ready for an attack.. And in reality Lt. Wells wouldn't have given up their location..

You just have to ignore the inconsistencies & enjoy the show for what it is..

12. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Because they are either cowards or bad people as well. My guess is there are a mix of both types of people with the Gov.

13. Benzel

Benzel Member

I think once they're in that position with him, there's no backing out. If they speak out of turn or try to leave, they'll most likely be killed themselves.

14. Creepy

Creepy Member

Nobody wants to end up in the fishbowl, so they go along with the governors orders. Also notice that he talks to each person in a different way, singling them out for their own special moments. For Merle, the Govenor remembers his brothers name and suggests by his tone that he wants to reunite the family. This is bound to have an impact on Merle. There's also a young guy the Govenor hands his own personal blade to and instructs him to finish off the soldier the Govenor had just shot. The kid seems excited to be included in the activities.

15. marsyao

marsyao Member

That is not entirely correct, of course the Governor is a frighten man, but he is just one guy in a very small community and those people in the town also have weapon, they could take the Governor out if they like, but the question is when the Governor is gone, then what? If you read "The walking dead" novels, you would know the Governor earned his position by saving Woodbury and its residents more than one times, and so far he does a good job to keep the town safe and the people fed, remember those women and children walking on the street are families of those armed guards, that is the reason those guards believe it would be their and their family's best interest to follow the Governor's order and do whatever he orders them to do which includes to kill those national guardsmen, who are outsider to them anyway.

16. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

Isysman, Yes .. Mostly and sorta no..

While i feel strongly our armed forces would not give out intel to "the enemy" , a national gaurdsmen fighting off zombies in his homeland. (and hasn't been able to contact his chain of command in a while) Is likely not goign to feel that a small town is "the enemy" but would feel "same team" , the governor who has been treating this man well would possible be trusted. his group is getting desperate and "desperate times call for desperate measures"

there was what 6-8 soldiers left? who have been rotating night guard duty. They are primarly looking for zombies, now they see and hear a truck zooming up and the guy gets out waiving a white rag, and talking about a group member of theirs. I think that would proove enough distraction that men who grew up hunting all their lives could sneak inwards a bit. Yes that part does requie some disbelief. I truely feel our armed forces are Bad @$$ enough to spot the ambush before it was fully sprung... but with how this one was painted I'd say its Plausable .. plausable enough i didn't give it a 2nd thought until this thread.

The part that bugged me is how no one from wood burry got shot. i think even surprised , ambushed, our armed forces would have been able to put at least 1 guy down.

Exactly.. and all the more reason why the soldiers need to die. the Armed forces are brave good people, exactly the type the governer doesn't want to deal with.

the henchmen of the gang see how the Governer is loved by the town, so if they come back with out him, they will have some explaining to do. and these guys have more of the gang mentality, impress the leader, get the most rewards and when the leader eventually dies due to gang activities you get to take over , a much easier take over than if you kill the gang leader.

those guys do bad things, in groups. they have shared experiences , which bonds them together. and they all clearly see what happens to enemies of the group, so they don't want to take any risk in becoming an enemy. so even if they disagree with the plans, they will just shut up, go along with it, and hope to out survive the gov and one day take his place.

17. Fivespddisco

Fivespddisco New Member

I was thinking the same thing. What are they doing in an open field with no protection. If they been alive this long they must have a clue on how things are work.

18. Fivespddisco

Fivespddisco New Member

Thank you.

19. DIALINBI

DIALINBI New Member

I was wondering more about why Daryl and T Dog acted so fine with Rick chopping that guy in the head. They acted like it was completely normal....

I think the two situations parallel each other.

If anything it does go to show you that people will listen to their leader....

20. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they're all cowards he has. Woodbury is full of cowards and thieves.