Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why didn't Maggie make sure Lori was dead?

Discussion in 'Episode 304 - Killer Within' started by Gilligan, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Gilligan

Gilligan Member

I'm not complaining... We all wanted Lori to die (and by that, I mean it was a popular opinion that Lori should die this season.) I'm not complaining that she's dead. I just figure if I were there, I would have checked for a pulse before I just left her there... They've all been living together for about 8-9 months; it's not like they were strangers. Even if it would be kind of dangerous to stick around those extra moments and check that she's really dead, I would assume most people would do it anyway...

Maggie likely knew Lori was doomed to die, but I'm guessing at the point where Carl shot her, and before then when Maggie suggested that they just leave, Lori was probably still alive... Passed out and doomed to die in the coming minutes, but not dead yet.

If I cared about someone at all, even just because I'd been living with them for 8 months, and even if they weren't really my best friend, I'd check to see if they were dead before just leaving them to maybe be eaten by a zombie... What if they'd left like Maggie suggested, and without Carl shooting Lori, and the Lori woke up for a few minutes, all alone, with her belly cut open... maybe a zombie would have been attracted to the blood and could have gotten into the room with her...

They saved Carl when he was shot in the chest. They saved Hershel when his foot got cut off... A c-section with non-sterile instruments and performed by an untrained person is a little different, but I feel they still could have tried a little harder. I don't care that Lori's dead. I wanted her to die. I'm just trying to see this from the group's perspective. They didn't want her dead, and even if it was hopeless, I feel it would have been realistic for them to try a little harder...

2. AVC

AVC Member

Unless she had ruptured something in the uterus, the C-section alone wont cause sufficient bleeding to kill her. There's not enough vessels there. But the fact that she lying there with an open abdo sure will. Infection will kill you as good as anything. People die now from postoperative infections, let alone in those conditions.

But how would it have been to add a line of "she got a ruptured placenta, she' s bleeding out" and then doing a pulse check. AMC need a better clinical advisor for that show, lol

3. Dead man walking

That's not harsh, it's true - carl was a complete plank last 2 seasons. Irrational, irresponsible and didn't help in anyway. At least now he seems like one of the survivors before he was just a baby for christ's sake. His characterisation in the first 2 seasons was poor and didn't make sense - irratic to say the least. I would have shot him for being a danger (got Dale killed) - just kidding I wouldn't shoot a kid no matter how annoying he was. This season he is less of a nuisance but I wouldn't say he has stepped up but at least seems to be 'following a straight line' in terms of behaviour. I'd like to see the writers not get carried away in trying to turn a child into something he couldn't possibly be for many more years yet. Just build his character well and slowly over the next 5 seasons until he's a man and can take Rick's place.

4. NonprofitProphet

NonprofitProphet New Member

I don't know if Carl really shot Lori. I'd say odds are 50/50. I believe production intentionally didn't show Carl shooting her just to cast some doubt. As for Carl's character development...I'm quite pleased with it. He was very naive and hazardous to the group in the first two seasons, but now he's become fearless yet doesn't try to do too much more than his "job" asks him to. I would like to see him become a stone-cold zombie killing machine in Season 6 or 7, though!

As for not waiting for Lori to die...what would the point in checking her pulse, and waiting until she had died, be? There's no way she could have lived for more than a week or two. Why put her through the pain of a slow death?

Also...Lori didn't really sacrifice herself to save her baby. If she hadn't had the C-Section, the baby would died inside of her and killed her from the womb. Lori's pregnancy was pretty much a death sentence for her.

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Lori sacrificed herself because Maggie wanted them to turn back and find Hershel, and Carl wanted to go for help. Lori refused both options, saying it was too dangerous to risk their lives on her account.

Maggie also refused to peform the c-section because there was no medical equipment that might've saved Lori's life, but Lori begged her to save the baby.

In an apocalyptic world, Lori's pregnancy was a risk, not a death sentence. It was the Andrew's walkers that seperated Lori from an experienced medic and induced the early labor that made the fatal c-section necessary.

6. NonprofitProphet

NonprofitProphet New Member

Disagree with both claims. To sacrifice, in this sense, means "To forfeit (one thing) for another thing considered to be of greater value." It is VERY UNLIKELY that Lori would have survived a C-section (and possibly not even a normal birth) had it been from Hershel OR Carol instead of Maggie. The survivors simply don't have the equipment necessary to fix the wounds AND prevent infection.

What makes you think the labor was induced by the walkers? I didn't get that vibe from the show at all. I just assumed it was time, since many of the characters had been discussing how she was due to deliver soon. And Lori certainly didn't get the C-section simply because Hershel was in another room. Lori NEEDED it. She had needed one when Carl was born, and she had presumably had the assistance of doctors far more qualified than a veterinarian when Carl was born. Had Maggie not performed the C-section, Lori and/or the baby would have died...both scenarios leading to Lori's eventual death.

Not saying it wasn't incredibly brave for Lori to ask Maggie to rip open her stomach while she was awake and not under anesthesia- it just wasn't a "sacrifice". Once they were trapped in the boiler room without medical supplies or a doctor, and the baby wouldn't come out through natural means, Lori was doomed.

7. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Yes, Lori's due date was getting closer, but I think the sudden attack of the walkers induced an early labor.

The c-section saved the baby's life, but Maggie and Carl wanted to save Lori too. If that had a chance of succeeding, they'd have to go through a cell block filled with walkers. Lori refused to let them risk their lives to save her life.

#27 Rapscallion, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. MaddiLynn

MaddiLynn New Member

Unavoidable outcome

I have a feeling Lori would've died regardless. They didn't have anything to stitch her up with and she lost a whole lot of blood. It was very selfless of her to give up her life for the baby. Like she said, the group needed the baby more.

9. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

One way women induce labor is by walking (or jogging). It is known.

Lori running from the walkers likely brought on her labor.

I think that Maggie didn't check to see if Lori was dead because she knew that she was gone - her hands were inside her. From that position, you can feel someone's heart beat clearly.

Maggie had also become seriously emotionally involved with the baby. You can see in her face as Carl is asking her to check that she's just not capable of moving toward death - she's all about protecting that new life (and thinking about what she's going to say to Rick).

10. Savior

Savior Well-Known Member

Oh my lord ...

#30 Savior, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  11. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

This ^^

12. Savior

Savior Well-Known Member