Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why does no one hide in a tree ?

Discussion in 'Episode 414 - The Grove' started by A1337sti, Mar 17, 2014.

1. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

seems like group members either find buildings, or just sleep on the ground.

:zombies_confused:

bob managed to find a tarp and some sorta sheet (burlap ?)

i don't get why more of the survivors aren't trying to hide in a tree. I was thinking finding some sorta rope and a sheet and you can make a hammock and sleep up there. and you don't have to worry about getting eaten in the middle of the night

2. RarreKZ

RarreKZ Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea until you fall and break your neck or get eaten by walkers.

3. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Lizzie should have been up in the Pecan tree, along with the rest of the nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chief Brody

Chief Brody Member

When you go up a tree you are trapped when trouble comes calling..

5. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

1) unless you have a hammock or have rigged one before. (I know there are light weight ones people could carry) but making one with spare parts I don't know that I would trust a makeshift hammock 8+ feet off the ground.
    2) how do you get into and out of a hammock 8+ feet off the ground
    3) 8+ feet is far enough to break you leg/neck if you fall.

Once you overcome all that , I actually think its not a terrible idea as long as you have some water and can be really quiet. Considering no one has been bitten by a walker unless they been trapped in bizarre situations in what more then 9 months of show time? in fact no one has been bitten at a campsite since the first season 3rd? episode ,am I wrong is there one case where sleeping in a tree would have helped after that point? (well unless you count Megan and that was really like there first few weeks outside in the ZA) well its not stupid until someone dies from not doing it.

6. aepstein

aepstein New Member

I like the tree idea - my husband and I dream of an entire treehouse type post-apocalypse world - swiss-family robinson style for those who remember that. And what about boats??

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Howcome no one hides in Officer Big Mac?

[​IMG]

That's where i'm headed in a ZA. Right up in the hat.

8. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

BTW everyone thinking of making their own travel hammocks one word tree blind

9. Sammy01

Sammy01 Member

I have often thought making tree houses with rope ladders and bridges between them would surely be the best Idea. Though I cant believe in all the time out looking for supplies they have never come across a lake and boat. That would surely be the safest place, you would only need to go a few feet from the bank to be walker free and safe.

10. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

Back when Maggie, Bob, and Sasha were caught out in the fog, my group had a big discussion about why they didn't try to climb one of the trees around them. None of us could see any low branches, so we guessed that was why.

I think it would be a good idea, though. Really, hiding up a tree waiting for walkers to pass couldn't be any worse than laying on top of a truck waiting for them to go by, which worked out pretty well for Bob in his flashback. I don't know about sleeping in a tree, though. Maybe you could tie yourself to a branch? Find a treehouse?

I used to worry what if the walkers smelled the survivors and they got trapped, but it seems like their sense of smell is gone or almost gone. Way back when, Rick and Glenn had to cover themselves in walker guts to blend in.

This season, Michonne just walked around with them. I guess she might've had a little walker goo on her, but it was nowhere near the amount needed before. (Edit: Then again, she did that before she joined the group, too. So idgi. I guess her pets ward them off? Following examples still stand, though. I think. xD) Daryl and Beth hid in a trunk in the middle of a herd and none of them noticed. Tara was just hanging out in the prison, unmoving, and none bothered her.

It seems like walkers don't even notice any more unless someone makes a sudden movement or a lot of noise. So long as you didn't do anything to make them notice you, I think a tree would be safe. Just don't start yelling or accidentally drop something on a walkers head. :Grin:

#10 Chickadee, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  11. Elvis_Mazur

Elvis_Mazur Member

Some people here were saying a boat would be a good place to stay and I agree, but there are some problems. There's no guarantee they would find one as it would have been one of the first things desperate people would have tried to get their hands onto. If other survivors saw that you have a boat, that would surely cause some stir.

It would be good to have a boat as a place where you can be safe, but I can't stop thinking it would end up just like the prison.

12. SeeinzStarz

SeeinzStarz Member

Good point. Katniss in the Hunger Games managed fairly well up in the trees. ;)

13. 1618

1618 Well-Known Member

I think you stole their idea for the TWD spin off. The Walking Tarzan.

14. dphoenix

dphoenix Member

Hiding in a tree is all fun and games until walkers realize you're up there. What are you gonna do when walkers crowd the base of the tree waiting for you to come down? Start leaping branches like a damn cat? Yeah, good luck with that.

15. Caryl

Caryl Member

Yeah with branches the size of twin beds. Real trees aren't as safe or secure. Going up a tree is one of those things that seems like a good idea but isn't in actuality.

I would totally live in one of these though:
    [​IMG]

#15 Caryl, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  16. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

In theory it's not a bad idea, provided you have a quality hammock and can physically climb up high enough that you couldn't be seen from the ground. But unless you have specialized training in making such things, you're probably not going to feel very comfortable being 20 feet off the ground (with your gear) in a handmade hammock.

17. target tony

target tony Member

who wants to be trapped in a tree with no way out? only in desperation would i climb a tree.

18. sam12six

sam12six Member

In a worst case scenario, you drop down among them. You're no worse off than you'd have been had you started on the ground (assuming no freak ankle breaks when you drop), you're just starting when you're ready.

Given current zombie behavior on TWD, though, the worst case scenario only occurs if you're stupid. From what we've seen, they'll become completely fascinated with a moving non-living thing (always makes me wonder why they don't just go insane when the wind blows and every blade of grass and leaf is moving). On the flip side of that, they'll lose interest and wander off from a juicy person just sitting still. In other words, if you sit tight, they may not go far, but they're not going to spend more than a couple of minutes huddled around your tree trying to grab you (with that poor depth perception they have). In other words, if you have more patience than a 3 year old, they'll either leave altogether or spread out enough that you can drop down and get some easy kills. All this is not even considering the fact that with TWD zombies, you can just lie on your stomach and poke them in the head with a stick and kill them all before you decide to come down.

I don't know what people are thinking with the repeated citing of how hard it would be to get into a hammock. Are you guys envisioning a hammock strung between 2 trees where you have a tightrope walk out to it with an unobstructed 20 foot drop if you misstep? You tie one end to the tree trunk. You tie the other to one of the tree's limbs. The hammock sits at an angle. Alternately, you could tie both ends to a tree limb if you insisted it be horizontal (but this method would require enough agility to get from the limb into the hammock and back out). And yes, if you roll around a lot when you sleep or are very clumsy, a rope from your waist to the tree limb might be a good idea.

If you hate the idea of hammocks, it wouldn't be that difficult to build some very basic fortifications. Remember the "door" Bob made for his mine shaft? With a couple of hours of light labor, fallen tree limbs and some cord/rope, you could easily make a cage that would keep out zombies long enough for you to wake up and do the poke 'em in the forehead thing.

I'm pretty lazy, though, so in the TWD world, I'd probably just avoid sleeping in the woods and sleep inside or on top of one of the billions of buildings, cars/trucks, railroad cars, whatever that are lying all over the planet.

19. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Why not dress in a Ghillie suit? Then you can just lie or stroll around and walkers will think you are a bush.

20. sam12six

sam12six Member

LOL. You could even set yourself on fire and they'd think you were a burning bush and do whatever you tell them...