Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why I Love The Horror Genre

Discussion in 'Horror Discussion' started by Lewk00t, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

From books to television shows, if horror is done right it's amazing, I'm a big fan of gore and stuff haha. It's my favourite genre along with comedy, yeah opposite ends of the spectrum ;) I love a lot of scary movies so I'm well suited.

I do think though (TWD does this well) that character development is an extra side that is very important, of course in movies it's a lot harder to get very attached to characters as movies last a few hours, while tv shows can go for years and years, horror movies with little to no character development aren't as exciting, when you care about a character and they get killed in the movie/show, it's a lot better to watch for the shock factor.

Why do you like horror/not like horror? :)

2. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

For me it began as a kid watching Hammer horrors on a B&W tv. One I'll never forget that I saw when I was about 10 but haven't rewatched since is The Reptile: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060893/?ref_=sr_1. The scene where the snake woman is finally revealed almost gave me a heart attack.

As a kid I loved the gothic genre - Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte; Whatever Happened to Baby Jane; Rebecca; the original The Haunting (still one of the most terrifying movies ever made). Even the comedy-horrors, e.g. The Ghost and Mr Chicken, the Bob Hope and Abbott and Costello horrors. If it had a gothic mansion with secret passages I was there. Oh, how I wish I lived in a gothic mansion with secret passages.

This lead to me reading Wuthering Heights and Matthew Lewis' The Monk (one of the most atmospheric and scary novels you'll ever read) as a teenager.

I can't recall specifically when I first saw Night of the Living Dead but it would have been when I was a teenager.

I'll tell you a story, kids, gather round. Imagine a world where there's no vhs or dvd players because they haven't been invented yet, there's no internet - that's waaaaaay into the future. Your only entertainment resources are a tv, a transistor radio and a record player. Imagine it's 12.00 am on a Saturday night. Everyone else is in bed. You flick the channels and see a movie "Peeping Tom"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054167/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

so you decide to watch it to see if it's any good. And it's one of the most amazing movies you have ever watched.

I'm actually glad I grew up in the era when this sort of classic horror movie was routinely shown on late night tv. I don't know why there's not a current channel dedicated to this stuff.

So Lewk00t - do you remember Deadly Ernest or are you too young?

3. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359899067.104758.jpg

This was one of the first horror movies I saw. You can't beat Vincent Price. Unless you've got Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing too.

4. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Cable tv in Melbourne today had a Vincent Price special and I watched The House of Wax (classic), The Fly (classic, I wish I could get the same brand of radioactive lipstick that the wife wore) and the Haunting of Hill House (a bit of a mess, but then it was done by William Castle).

5. DeeLaurean

Three good ones of his were The Pit and the Pendulum and The Witchfinder General and Scream and Sream again.

6. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

One of my faves is The Fall of the House of Usher. I watched ANYTHING that had Vincent Price in it and I was so happy when he turned up in Edward Scissorhands.

7. DeeLaurean

I think one of the scariest horror movies I've seen is The Amityville Horror the original with James Brolin and Margot Kidder. Still gives me chills.
    And also The Omen with Gregory Peck that's an awesome movie.

8. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

The Exorcist!!! And The Shining...

9. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Horror is used best when it's a sort of allegory to make us look at our own mentality and way of living. This is why the usual slasher movies with killing for the sake of killing do nothing for me. It's when horror makes us look at ourselves that it's done correctly. This is why I love Romero's original trilogy and TWD.

10. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to horror films admittedly. Aside from TWD I've watched like 5 minutes of some Saw film and that's it. Hahah

Wait... I saw Child's Play as well.

#10 skaaaa, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  11. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I was partially named because of the Damien in the original Omen. I guess it was destiny. lol I agree with [MENTION=370]Bassman[/MENTION] as well. slasher flicks do little for me most of the time but a thought out horror movie is great.

12. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Can't say why I like horror. I just do.

13. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

I'm 13, I haven't ever heard of Deadly Ernest though, is it an older movie? Would it still be in DVD stores or would I have to download it online? I like all good horror films so I'll watch it as I haven't yet.

14. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

No, Deadly Ernest was a presenter of horror/sci-fi movies on a Friday night in Melbourne in the 60's. He had grotesque make-up and used to put shit on the films (some were good, some were woeful). It used to be fun to have slumber parties and sit up and watch Deadly Ernest in the dark and scare each other during the suspenseful bits.

15. maceman

maceman Member

"if horror is done right it's amazing"
    absolutely

16. klownz

klownz Member

I don't like horror I obsessively love horror and have done since a very early age, I guess in the beginning what attracted me was the fact some of the films could scare the sh!t out of me and all the fun kills that you find in slashers along with the nudity! Now though as a grown man and still a horror addict what I love is the history and diversity of the genre and I love it all from silent horror all the way up to present day and horror from all round the globe (especially fond of Asian horror)

17. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

I love horror movies for many reasons. My mom watched scary movies, and I grew up watching them. I enjoy being scared. Movies that make me jump are great!

I prefer horror movies that could happen in real life although I watch fantasy, too.

I love to turn off every light in the house and watch a scary movie. :)

18. Stuff&Thangs

Stuff&Thangs Well-Known Member

Frankly, most horror movies exasperate my irritable bowel syndrome.

19. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

I think it's because I am an adrenaline junkie. Scary movies, haunted houses (real and fake ones), ghost stories, and roller coasters all elicit the same reaction: elevated heartbeat, queasy stomach, tightened bowels, absolute suspense filled can't breathe or move feeling. I love the ride!

• Like Like x 1
  20. hotspur41

hotspur41 Member

For me, horror movies function either as roller coasters or memento mori. When I am in a movie house full of folks screaming and laughing and laughing and screaming, it is an awesome way to spend a couple hours. I love seeing a good horror movie with other people, not because it makes me feel safer, but because it is just more fun. When I am at home and everyone is busy doing something else and I pop a good old horror show in the DVD player, it's often a bit heavier sort of film. More the type that puts a mirror up to the horror of existence. Still an electric charge. Just in another way.

• Like Like x 1