Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why is Madison so stupid?

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Pillar of Salt' started by JustPlainMe, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Poppy

Poppy Member

I found this...
    http://heimhenge.com/skylights/2014/05/19/qa-the-distance-from-which-a-candle-can-be-seen/

The author goes through the math to show that under the right circumstances, one can see a single candle at a distance of 10 miles.

2. mishone

mishone Member

If you are not a mother, you will not understand the lengths you will go in order to find your child. That is why I did not like Carol in the beginning of TWD, when her daughter was missing, what the heck did she do?

Most mothers love their children so much they would die to protect them, those who would not make me feel sorry for them. They have never truly loved or been loved.

3. Chaos

Chaos Member

The mortality rate for the stupidity isn't as high as it would be for be for an apocalypse. The characters would be dead by now.

4. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

I'm actually OK with Madison doing stupid things to save Nick sometimes. What I'm not OK with is the craptastic way they write it, Madison spent the last 2 wracked with guilt over her prioritizing Nick over Alicia it feels cheap and contrived to wrap up the episode with her risking everyone again for a less then minuscule chance of reaching Nick. If Nick is still alive and if he is the "gringo with shaggy hair" and if he can see the sign why the hell would he even come? The hope , the need to find Nick , the putting Alicia second all make sense and would make an interesting theme to explore : how family's deal with the devastation when all the resources are diverted to "save" addict or chronically ill person. A desperate risky act plays for em but a pointless act of lighting up a sign doesn't , had she painted "Nick" in 20 foot high letter/changed the sign to say "Nick" or hd he run off to look for him I would have bought that. That she put Alica second yet again made sense but the how , where , when and why needed to be well thought out and executed.

Secondly , there is a great chance with Chris to show the evolution of the "Governor/terminus/Negan" from the other point of view and they're ****ing that up too. All the components are there but the execution is terrible.

Thirdly there is Nicks evolution. Which I'm enjoying but at the same time not buying :A heroin addict , who was stealing the neighbors morphine 3 weeks ago can now have the keys to the OXY locker and not be tempted. "The apocalypse makes more sense then the old world so I'm over it." isn't working for me and I really like Nick.

5. Chaos

Chaos Member

She doesn't seem to bent out of shape over the absence of Travis. The absence of Chris definitely has not bothered anybody.

6. BlackLightning

Madison isn't so much stupid as she is the mother of a 20 year old heroin addict.

Being so closely intertwined with a junkie shooter (especially one who is so young) will do things to your mind.

I'm not even joking.

I know they say that drug addiction is a disease that infects the whole family (and close friends) psychologically. But heroin addiction is on a WHOLE 'nother level.

So, even though Madison made two very foolish decisions, I completely understand why she would do that.

#26 BlackLightning, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

This is a really good point. That thought has kinda fluttered through my mind but never really took up residence... but now that I read someone else say it..............has she ever even said one word about her missing husband?

She has at least SOME idea that Nick is alive out there, just doing his own thing....but she doesn't seem to even want to take up where Nick left off in going to attempt a search for Travis at ALL.

Of course if I were her I wouldn't care either. :p

8. BlackLightning

I think some of you guys need to chill out.

The first two seasons of TWD has a lot in common with the first two seasons of FTWD. Group leader Rick made stupid mistakes, group leader Hershel made bigger stupid mistakes, Shane was both misunderstood and a big problem, Lori was all over the place, Carol did nothing but cry, Carl couldn't follow simple directions, T-Dog was the cannon-fodder version of a poor man's Tyreese and Dale was the preachy busybody.

The only solid characters were Daryl and Andrea.

Be patient.

The original didn't really take off until the 4th season and the arrival of Gimple.

Elena can't be furious because she literally going through the same thing. Besides, she's next on the mother of the bride's hit-list so she has enough to worry about.

With Chris and the Bromigos, one of three things will happen:
    • They will abandon Travis
    • Travis will leave them voluntarily
    • Chris will have to force his father to leave in order to save his life from one or all of the mini-Lochtes, maybe even having to fake Travis' death (think Snow White and the Huntsman)

In the middle of a moonless night? With no other lights around for miles?

Oh yeah. They would not have been able to see what the letters said but there would have been a faint red light flickering in the distance.

Madison can be a great ZA leader and then turn around and make some big mistakes.

Need I remind you of the TWD S6 finale? The main characters are living a nightmare BECAUSE of the silly yet huge mistakes that their leaders (i.e. Rick, Maggie, Daryl) have made.

I disagree.

If you were dealing with foolish drug dealers, then yeah, they probably would have killed her. But since we are dealing with wise drug dealers, they would've done exactly what El Capo did. Let a panicked Madison weasel information out their prisoners. And judging by how quickly they found Nick and the colonia...it worked.

Also, I think you should rethink your stance on blind motherly love. That stuff is real and it's very, very powerful. Just look around. There's also such a thing as blind fatherly love. Look at Rick and Carl.

Nah. I think it's been a month or two.

THANK YOU!!!

Because I think everyone has forgotten how the experienced TWD cast and a bunch of other people walked right into the Terminus trap almost two and a half years into the apocalypse.

She is bothered by Travis' absence. She talked about it when she and Strand were getting drunk a couple of episodes ago.

She's just so bent out of shape about Nick that it seems like she doesn't care about anyone else.

I disagree. Madison and her family are quite clueless (like most middle class Americans who live in big metropolitan areas). But they would not be dead by now because they were fortunate/blessed to have Liza, Daniel Salazar, Victor Strand on their team.

9. PepperAnn

She did? lol
    I guess I need to rewatch that scene.

10. BlackLightning

When she said that the men in her life have a tendency of heading straight towards death should you leave them to themselves, she mentioned that Travis was different (like cold water on a hot day) until he...well...ran off to try to save his self-destructing son.

Side-note: Although she was talking about her late husband and Nick, I think she was also referring to the men of her family and other men she knew well. Say perhaps the Dixon boys.

Or maybe she wasn't talking about just men. Maybe she was referring to her cousin Carol who chose to marry/stay with a cruel man.

11. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I believe she attended Maggie Green's School of Familial Remembrance. Course #106 - Forget you have a spouse. It was preceeded by course #101 - Forget you have a sister. Maggie Greene obtained 5 stars on this course.

12. PepperAnn

LMAO :zombies_lol:

13. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Wait a minute though. Doesn't she think Travis could be dead? Nick told her he didn't find them when he went looking, so I figured she would assume that was the end and just focus on those who were still with her.

14. PepperAnn

Yeah but all Nick said was that he couldn't find him. To just presume he's dead is a pretty big presumption. It's like "oh well I guess since he couldn't find him he must be dead......off to the next issue!" lol

15. Krakatau

Krakatau Member

I would imagine in a zombie apocalypse, a majority of the surviving population would do really, really stupid things that caused their death. This show, however, goes beyond whats believable. They do the dumbest things, but don't die.

16. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

- It's early in the Apocalypse and it being a trap wouldn't be desperate survivors minds yet.
    - Even if it were a trap, traps draw in people.
    - Bringing attention to yourself also draws in armed bad people who will tactically scope you out before making a move. It potentially being a trap isn't going to stop them from investigating.
    - Bringing attention to yourself in this scenario, whether it brings in refugees, other potential benevolent but useless characters or hostiles is just bad news.

Agreed on this. She's had smarter people looking out for her since the start of the ZA anyway, she'd have died on her own. The entire family would have died had it not been for Strand and his "no risk" demeanor in getting on that boat and fleeing LA.

17. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Lol.... Travis and Chris are no loss to anybody.

A mother cares for her children infinitely more than a man who isn't even the biological father of her children. Especially a man where the relationship was problematic to start with and a man who left them to go in delusional fashion try to deal with his psycho kid who's gone off the rails.

Madison can't empathize with Chris and Travis like she can her own. That's very standard human behavior in general.

But the flip side is that Madison herself, like Travis, is a weak parent and enabler of Nick. Even though Nick in this post-Apocalyptic world has developed into being self sufficient, if not still unpredictable and strange.

18. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Madison started out as one of my favorite characters, and now I basically can't stand any of the screen time that she has. Going charging up into a torture session because someone mentioned a white person with ratty hair? Yes, WE know that it's Nick...but Madison doesn't. There are plenty of white people with ratty hair. Turning on the hotel lights? That was monumentally stupid. It was beyond stupid. Just...no, I mean come on. Yes, it drew Travis's attention. Who else did it draw though? Literally everyone for miles?

19. PepperAnn

Yeah but at least give her some concrete dialogue expressing a little bit of grief over her lost husband. SOMETHING.

I understand your kids always come first but to just go on pretending you never had a lost husband at all....it's very Maggie. lol

20. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

Quite right. I wasn't totally clear in what I said, I meant a week/10 days since they left LA....so yeah you are correct it's about a month or so since Nick's junkie girlfriend ODed and another junkie for lunch in that old church.