Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why is Madison so stupid?

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Pillar of Salt' started by JustPlainMe, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Hey! Maybe they can have a flashback scene and a bottle episode.....throw in a goat and have Travis learn to make cheese with her remembering it......wait a minute!!! Never mind.

2. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I don't think it's off base, personally. Not with the way Travis left and how Travis behaved like a weakling for much of the post-Apocalypse so far, lol.

Then again, I really don't like Travis so I can empathize with it.

3. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Fear_The_Walking_Dead_Timeline

For anybody curious about the timeline.

We're at about a month after the global outbreak. Rick still hasn't awoken from his coma yet, so it's very early.

Which is peculiar in how well adapted these LA survivors are compared to our Atlanta group.... I definitely wouldn't tag us West Coasters over here as more adept at survival, haha.

4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

HA! I read your first part and was going to say "you are speaking from the perspective of a Travis-hater not his wife" then I read your second part. lol :p

......and personally it's how I feel too. Screw him....good riddance.

However if I was his WIIIIIIFE (god kill me).....you'd think disappearance would take priority over idiocy. :p

5. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

If there were no other structures (natural or man-made) blocking the Nick's line of sight, you could absolutely see that lit up hotel in the middle of the night from 15 miles away. It would be the only out there

6. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I just think it's well within a wife's capacity to grow into a Travis-hater. lol.

And his disappearance, like Nick's, was via choice to go tend to his maniac son. I just think that there is a definite room for a complete disconnect.

Between parent-child it's a different story, but look at how even Alicia cut off Nick in her mind, stating "he made his choice to be out there". Alicia wasn't mentioning or missing her brother otherwise and Travis being the 2nd husband and piss poor father/step father.... it's just not that bone headed of Madison to not care.

We can critique Madison over many idiotic things, but in this instance not giving a **** about Travis is one of her positives.

/endrant

:D

7. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Doesn't that go for Maddison too though? Just like these potential people aren't used to a ZA world of traps, maybe Maddison hasn't adjusted to the fact that putting on a bright light will alert many potential enemies. That logic applies for her as well if you are willing to buy into that type of logic that "hey people will make dumb choices because they aren't too far into the ZA"

You people are forgetting that Rick grimes rode a horse into a zombie crowded urban city a few weeks after he woke up into the ZA. Stupider decisions have been made, you just have the benefit of 20/20 having watched 7 seasons of TWD, and all the sixth senses and insight of how the world works is ingrained in you i a way I can understand wouldn't be for some of these characters who are one month removed from mowing lawns and daycare as their day to day activity.

Was it a real stupid decision? Yes

Could I see a lot of people making that decision if they've never seen a zombie tv show or movie, and were 1 month into an apocylapse? Yes.

#47 Spidey, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. Poppy

Poppy Member

Spidey,
    I'd agree with you except for the fact that Maddie told the wedding group that hey need to work together, because the Hotel is a huge landmark, and there will be others coming.. and they won't all be nice. Or something along those lines. That means that she already somewhat thought it out, but then just went Maddie looking for Nick crazy.

9. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Spidey - this is my reply as well.

Rick has made numerous poor decisions and all have been cited. Madison made a boneheaded move here and it's being cited. I can't recall anywhere in TWD where our main leader characters attempted something that would draw attention themselves from the surrounding multiple SQ mile radius.

The riding the horse into a city was after just waking up and having no experiences. Madison is further along than that in her current state.

You should have used Rick walking right into the Terminus.... lol

10. PepperAnn

HA! It's hard to argue that. :p

11. PepperAnn

Agreed. Don't tell everyone we need to work together and then proceed to exempt yourself from that idea. Again, I understand a mother will go to great lengths....etc... but when you are trying to lead a group as she's clearly trying to do, you need to also lead by example and not go into "do as I say not as I do" mode. Especially when you are the one that is trying to ingrain in these people's heads that this "safe haven" can also be a beacon for many others....good and bad....and then proceed to turn on that beacon. I sure as hell wouldn't want that person leading me.

Also, since Nick clearly made a choice just days before....what makes her think he's all of a sudden changed his mind just because he sees a big giant neon HOLIDAY INN sign.....that could be ANYONE.

Go try to bring your son back, I commend you for that. But there are other ways of doing that that don't endanger everyone you are trying to protect.

12. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

You cant really question her sincerity though either?
    She seems to mean what she says in the leadership mode but then at any mention or suggestion of Nick she just goes crazy and is without the tools to do anything about it let alone even recognize it no matter how obvious it might seem to everyone else especially her Daughter!

She is just being codependent pure and simple and in the most obnoxious and dangerous way considering the stakes here.

Seems pretty realistic to me and I do have more than a little experience here sadly too.

It took her time to learn to be like this and it sure seems like it will take her time to unlearn it too,I just hope not too many people need to die before she does.

I am afraid that ship is already sailing though.

13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

14. PepperAnn

Yeah, I can definitely see why the mother of an addict would behave this way, but it's just another reason I don't think she's ready to lead this group. Not unless Nick is either dead, or under her hawk-like watch. :p

LMAO!!!!!! PERFECT pic.

15. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Not only this, but they apparently learned nothing from their encounter with Reed and his gang of merry pirates. Ya know the ones they let on the yacht under false pretenses who subsequently attacked them, tied them up, tried to steal their ship and kidnapped her husband and daughter - a.k.a. what's her name and what's his face to Maddie.

Not just stupid, but almost unforgivably selfish. Nick knew where home was pre ZA and chose to stay away then too. She has no right to endanger everyone's lives like she did, not once, but twice this episode because "Nick is muh son". It's not like he was kidnapped or they were involuntarily separated. Maybe Alicia should shove a needle in her arm and Madison might be able to muster up a f*ck or two about her other kid, what's her name.

16. Poppy

Poppy Member

Absolutely!!!
    I forgot all about that :smack head:

IF ice is such a "in demand" commodity, there is no doubt in my mind that the cartel members will follow Maddie and Elena back, or that they will pressure Elena's brother's brother to reveal where Elena is from. If they don't already know. Ah... they probably know she works at the hotel.

OK... new tact.
    Maddie can offer to make an ice run for them in exchange for info about the scraggly haired gringo.
    And to keep him there should he show up.

17. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Exactly. This group has experienced more of raw humanity than the Atlanta group had by a similar point.

They saw how the military acted, they learned from Strand, they've dealt with pirates, they've dealt with crazy death cult people and one of their own little community members just stabbed Strand.

It's not like we're clueless about human threats - both benign and malevolent by this point just because it's the early days of the apocalypse.

However, as someone related to an addict - the parents of addicts will do crazy stupid things in their delusional enabler roll. It's not unrealistic that she'd do this given her track record and I rather like the plot device of turning the lights on and not knowing what's going to show up on the doorstep so we get some action.

We were complaining that the characters made you feel nothing last season and mid-season, Madison's stupidity and selfishness make us feel annoyed and this is an improvement to go along with other general improvements since the dreadful mid season episodes.

18. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Adding to the "not being clueless" logic... how many of us wouldn't already know that just from existing in our world and knowing how people are in times of desperation?

In a social meltdown of any kind, if you have resources and an IQ above 85, I think you'd already instinctively know not to draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

19. IThinkHesGay

IThinkHesGay Member

As others have said, I understand why Maddison behaves so recklessly when it comes to Nick, but she was a guidance counselor for crying out loud; She should know how to think rationally and come up with better solutions than yelling at a drug lord while your translator is saying "we need to leave or they will kill us". I honestly think it would be a good plot turn for her to eventually get herself killed by doing something dumb and allowing Alicia and Nick to step up as co-leaders. They both have better heads on their shoulders than most of the adults in the group.

20. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I do understand, unfortunately, what dealing with an addict can do. As a mother I can relate to her desperation, but I would never jeopardize my other child's life to ease that desperation. It's a bit different than making Alicia forfeit her own plans to babysit Nick or spending sleepless nights waiting for the phone to ring. I could accept Madison setting off by herself to find him better than this. But you got a point, at least it is evoking some emotion... I hope "really-pissed-off- wanna-smack-her-in-the-head" is what they were going for :Grin: