Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why is Rick's group not curious?

Discussion in 'Episode 411 - Claimed' started by offrope, Feb 24, 2014.

1. JesseJames

JesseJames New Member

I'm guessing your referring to GMRS Band recreational 2-Way radios probably from Midland, Motorola or Cobra. You should know that the 30 mile range was determined with a computer based on ideal conditions, no signal interference and with direct LOS. Real world the effective range is 5-7miles under ideal conditions...if you're lucky...sayin'

Carry on.

2. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Where do they get these radios, the ZA survival store next to the prison.....and they were caught off guard.

3. Danger Bunny

Danger Bunny Member

Oh you're quite right, I meant to say "a supposed range of 30 miles", but 5-7 miles still isn't bad - particularly for people on foot plus with the almost complete lack of man made RF the signal should go further. It may not get them all back together now but it certainly would have helped them regroup immediately following the attack.

4. Danger Bunny

Danger Bunny Member

Lots of the homes they've been scavenging in would have them, they are quite a popular toy. A place like the Big Stop would have had them. They've been surviving for a year and a half, that's plenty of time to scavenge basic survival gear.

5. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

It's not that they don't care. The only thing Rick is worrying about is getting better and keeping Carl alive. They have to survive

6. Danger Bunny

Danger Bunny Member

The radios should have been standard equipment carried at all times. Hell, they should have been carrying them just for the ability to call for help when the walkers are threatening to knock the fence down...

The writers have got it into their heads that, for Rick's group anyway, technology doesn't really exist anymore. It's stupid. It does drive the plot though...

7. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Except for the I-pods they seem to aquire. Maybe they are in the ZA gift bag?

8. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

But what you're talking about is high-level plot-induced stupidity. Be thankful it isn't low-level plot-induced stupidity like not assigning a meeting place for if/when the prison got overrun or they got separated for whatever reason, like they did on the road when they were looking for Carol's daughter. I mean that would be going *backwards* in the ability to plan ahead.... uh.. wait...

9. Scalemail Ted

Scalemail Ted Member

Yeah, like they deployed the bus to evacuate the prison. Was it blindly just going where ever the road went or was there a destination for that bus. You would think they knew where they would bring those people and that is where everyone would strive to meetup

10. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

Zackly and concerning the mental issues. Michonne already suspected Rick's fragile mental state from back at the prison. Sooo yes, as she stated to Rick "give it one more day".

11. target tony

target tony Member

exactly right...

they should have had a plan on where to meet with supplies already there..vehicles, food, water and weapons and the location pre set...

Ricks group has made nothing but stupid mistakes from day one. walking past a 50 cal machine gun and ammo at the CDC. poor security, poor planning.

the show has pretty much turned into what Stupid Shit will we do this week.

12. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

That is exactly this show has been at it's best whenever they are on the road.. No planning, no direction, whatever happens happens...totally reactionary.

13. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

LOL! Yeah, I'm really torn. On the one hand, I *hate* it when they do such obviously stupid things, but on the other, it would be a boring show if they did everything rationally and started a successful community.

14. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

A couple things

1) They haven't really had a chance too. Rick was severely injured, could barely stand on his feet. Carl and Rick have been having some father/son issues they need to get through. Rick has seemingly fully recovered in the latest episode. Michonne has also been having her issues.

2) Rick and Carl aren't like the others, not everyone is the same. Rick and Especially Carl have essentially accepted that everyone else is dead. They don't want to go looking and looking because from their point of view it's likely that the trail will just lead to nothing or even dead bodies of their friends. Aka disappointment, they don't want that disappointment which would just lead to more emotional pain. They probably think the chances of finding them alive at this point are less then slim and it isn't worth the risk of that disappointment. Michonne of course is the exception, but it's not the same as she found them and they were the last at the prison any way.

15. target tony

target tony Member

yea you are correct if they did everything correct the show would be boring i guess. its just like week after week they still don't learn anything except how to stab biters in the head.

16. sam12six

sam12six Member

There was a scene that got cut where everyone met to make emergency evacuation plans that explains everything. It went like this:

Herschel: We already brought that bus, the useless people and absolutely nothing else from Woodbury. We could all hop in that and run if there's an emergency.

Lizzie: Maybe we could set up a meeting place with stored food and weapons in case everybody gets separated...

Rick: Honey, this is grownup talk. Run along and play. CORAL!!

Lizzie: This place is boring. We've already named all the zombies you adults let hang around being a fence breech hazard.

Maggie: We got rats. Go play with them!

Beth: What about her idea about a meeting place?

Herschel: I saw on that there television moving picture box a fellow said as how the earth is getting smaller every day. By now it's probably little enough we shouldn't have trouble finding each other...

-------

Michonne can track. She followed Rick and Carl's tracks, mostly over asphalt and concrete, straight to them. At first she was happy to get away from Rick, but thought about how she and Carl could have tickle fights and take turns farting in each others' faces and calling each other gross to keep their spirits up, so she decided to go to them anyway.

Daryl can't just track, he's a tracker!! Just a glance at the bus tracks and he'd know which directions everyone scattered. Hell, he could look at the sun and know exactly where they all are at this moment. That's just how trackers roll. He's torn, though (that's why he's gotten all snappy and sullen). Being alone with a woman, he's considering trying out the hetero thing, but he's understandably afraid. First, well, it's vajayjay - that's scary. Also, he knows that if he wakes up in Beth's arms, he'll be dead the next episode 'cause she's the black widow of the apocalypse. Eventually, he'll realize it was a passing whim caused by the way Herschel always told him that God hates fags and choose to find the others. Glancing at the sun, he'll realize the others have been captured by a well armed group and decide to show them what happens when a city full of guys with puny machine guns come face to face with a redneck and a crossbow.

17. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Well there really wasn't much choice for them except to find somewhere safe enough to recover and re-supply first. Like a lot of others stated, Rick was injured, they are virtually out of ammo and they think there's a good possibilty that everyone else is dead.

18. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I judge Rick harshly for his absolute give-a-rat's patootie- attitude about what happened to people who he once led and who once relied on him. I partly cut him a break because of his injuries. But he laid down on the job when he decided to be a farmer and when he ran from the prison disaster he helped create by dropping out, he truly dif not seem to care about anybody else that he was once good friends with -- not Darryl, certainly not Carol, not Glenn, or even though he was a Hershel-loving-KA, not Hershel's daughters.

If you were in his group and stumbled across him, would you even want him? Would you ever accept his leadership again? If I did, it would only be because he's a good fighter and military tactician. I might like him. I might love him. But would I ever trust him? Nope.

19. sam12six

sam12six Member

I agree with you, but I'd take it even farther back. It's the reason I dislike the character, not because he's erratic and incompetent, but because everyone from the old men in the series to posters here see that incompetence and erratic behavior as leadership material. Every major decision he makes, he seems to do so with the coin Two Face from Batman uses. It's either nasty tyrant or naive idealist, with no predicting which and very little possibility of a decision in between.

My point is that not only would I not accept him as my leader post prison, I'd not have accepted him as my leader pre prison. Don't get me wrong, I may not have openly revolted, just stayed with the group and done whatever I felt like (of course, the writers would have killed me off because I'd have felt like creating a fortified position with supplies and emergency procedures).

20. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

To be fair, you didn't see Daryl to keen to go searching for people either. All Glenn cares about finding is Maggie it seems, we didn't hear him mention anyone else. Maggie didn't even mention Beth, just Glenn.