Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why leave the Kingdom in a blizzard??

Discussion in 'Episode 916 - The Storm' started by barbell43, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

Most of the Kingdom's soldiers were wiped out in Season 8.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. barbell43

barbell43 Member

I finally had a chance to rewatch the episode, and you are all correct! It was not a blizzard when they left. That's what I get for watching after spending a day drinking beer at a crawfish boil! In my defense, I'm from south Louisiana, and 2 snowflakes = BLIZZARD!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

CRAWFISH BOIL!!!!!! I miss crawfish boils!!!!!!!!!!!!

What part of south Louisiana? My mom's side of the family is from Jennings (maiden name Fontenot). While I was raised in southeast Texas I spent a great deal of my adult life living up and down the I-10 corridor. Out of 6 cities/towns my 2 favorite places I have lived in Louisiana were Zachary and Lafayette

4. barbell43

barbell43 Member

I live across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans but have grew up near The Jennings, Lake Charles corridor. My high school boyfriend was from Jennings!

5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My ex-husband is from Jennings! Sometimes the world is rather small :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I know a Fontenot in Austin! I worked with him. Hmmmmm

Also, crawfish................. *puke face*

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. barbell43

barbell43 Member

You just haven't had the right crawfish and crowd!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

@PepperAnn, @Dnae

Ever since I heard Jim Gaffigan's bit about shellfish being the bugs of the sea I have been creeped out. It was hilarious, but he was right. eeeeeek You guys had to go and introduce me to Hhhhottttt Pockets man.

worth watching the shellfish bit again. lol
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/pt55zr/jim-gaffigan---seafood-is-disgusting

and

Aren't crabs and lobsters just giant sea bugs?
    At the basic level, yes. All are members of the Phylum Arthropoda, which means “jointed feet.” They all have a chitinous exoskeleton, jointed appendages and the same basic internal structure and organs. Most “bugs” are insects and maybe arachnids, if you consider spiders “bugs.” Terrestrial arthropods also include millipedes, centipedes, mites, ticks and scorpions, among the most familiar. Crustacea include lobsters, crabs, shrimp, crayfish, barnacles, and copepods, among others. The main differences among the groups are adaptations to a terrestrial vs aquatic life. Aquatic arthropods can get larger than terrestrial arthropods because of some of the advantages of living in water, just as aquatic mammals (whales) can get larger than terrestrial mammals.

While scientists often say we are in the Age of Mammals, we are actually in the Age of Arthropods. Insects are the most speciose and abundant animals on the land and in the air, while copepods dominate the oceans. Of course, we have probably been in the Age of Arthropods since the end of the Cambrian. The vermiform, or worm shape, is one of the most successful shapes of life on Earth, and this shape is found across many phyla. Within a single Phylum, however, the Arthropods have ruled the Earth in terms of numbers and diversity.

The other major difference between giant sea bugs and terrestrial bugs, is that some of the giant sea bugs are delicious while eating the terrestrial bugs is disgusting, at least from an American point of view.

[​IMG]
    Richard Pierce
    , PH.D. Marine Biology & Plankton, University of Rhode Island (1996)
    Answered Mar 8, 2018
    Quora

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I read every single word of that as if there was gonna be something about TWD.
    Within six weeks I will be like the Dave Chapelle character with the ashy lips, "y'all got anymore of those Daryl/Carol/Dawg theories?"

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. PepperAnn

Great. Now you’ve ruined crabs and lobsters for me too. Lmao

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. PepperAnn

Lmao we get weird on the off season.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

And it has only been one week

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

"more weird" but always in a manner which is endearing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PepperAnn

So?

15. PepperAnn

Happy!

16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Damn, snarky much?

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. PepperAnn

I actually read that wrong last night. Didn’t mean to sound snarky. Lmao

18. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

I've never much liked crab and lobster or any shellfish.
    Caramelized locusts sound extremely tasty though, as does most giant insect based food.
    Only difference is they have their bones on the outside and no spine.
    That said; I've never tried lobster, it's super expensive here. One dive I was on I remember one guy in our group scooping one up, dropping it in a net dive bag and swimming back to shore with it; I don't think that's exactly legal but the guy liked lobster.
    Diving in Gran Canaria I was in the water with someone who hated the lobster and crab fishermen (they kept ignoring the "divers in the water flag" and speeding overhead with their boats, he nearly got clipped once or twice as I was told; he had brought wire clippers along with him for the occasion and cut great big holes in each lobster/crab trap which had lobsters or crabs in them and upended the empty ones so no crabs/lobsters can get in them. Apparently the feud between the divers and the fishermen there had been going on for as long as he had been living out there, which had been years.

The only seafood I would object to eating is octopus as octopuses are super smart, they build their own shelter, have been seen to use weapons to catch prey (one breed is immune to the sting of a certain jellyfish, so they pull off a tentacle and whack other fish with it.
    Not to mention a tank for a pet octopus has to be really well sealed, they can open the bolts on their tanks, get out, find a toy to play with from outside and climb back in. Or if placed beside another fish tank they will steal something they want from there, or sneak out, eat the fish in the other tank, get back in their tank and then close the lid to their tank and slide the bolt over, like they understand they've been naughty and want to seem above suspicion.
    One octopus at an aquarium/marine biology centre splashed one (and only one) volunteer repeatedly any time she entered the room. This led to her quitting (or moving to another part of the building) for a month or two, then came back hoping the octopus had forgotten what she looked like. It hasn't and after months of not splashing anyone, proceeded to soak her.
    Sadly they only live for a year or two, though this might be for the best; they might take over the world with longer life-spans.
    I would love to have a pet one but they're really expensive and involved to keep. They need constant attention, regularly need new toys and if they don't like you; they'll hide from you.

Anyway, to address the OP. Honestly I think the kingdom leaving was a plot point. They could have all holed up in one building for the duration of the storm. The fact that nobody was doing regular maintenance is also a big question. Learning plumbing and construction isn't that hard and the furnace room seemed intact, it was the pipework that was broken. They could have all went into the furnace room and lit the furnace/s to keep warm.
    They seem to really be pushing this "no supply of new materials" thing. Though 90% of humanity is dead. There would be warehouses full of pipework and refineries full of fuel oil. It's been five years and they've almost intentionally driven themselves to live in squalid conditions. Sending a small detail to an industrial area and seeing if they could set up a trade route would be ideal. They've near the ocean so if they were able to find a large boat they could sail along it to a major river then upstream to a fuel refinery (they are almost always placed alongside rivers) and filling the boat up with barrels of oil and if possible towing a coal barge back would have been ideal. If Oceanside had done this they would have been the major trade centre in the area. They had 5 years to plan this out too.

It wouldn't be that hard to fit a river boat with anti-walker deck spikes and then build a "citadel" on the boat with armour plates and gun ports in case it comes under attack by people. Then above the armoured citadel build platforms for archers.

Factories tend to be placed next to rivers, or near to them, going upstream would likely lead you to a friendly trade outpost with large amounts of fuel and parts, or abandoned factories and refineries.

As well as that, the kingdom (and other cities) could have converted to animal and human biogas for cooking and heating by using an underground composter for waste and and piping the methane out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

Perhaps Jerry was an up and coming, old-school trained meteorologist on the local news prior to the fall of civilization!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Funion The Barbarian

Funion The Barbarian Active Member

They didn't catch Bob Ryan on NBC4 before they left the kingdom and, thus, didn't know about the storm.