Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

why not just kill Father Gabriel?

Discussion in 'Episode 608 - Start To Finish' started by LadyGrimes, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

is that racist because Fr Gabriel is actually black?

I'll be honest though, I actually liked the Fr. in this episode. thought that maybe he finally has his shit together and is willing to help.

2. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

Oh God no, just an apparently outdated phrase that I should probably remove from my vocabulary.

I don't mind Father Gabriel at this point; he has made mistakes and can't be fully trusted, but I do think he's trying to be better. I still don't think he's long for this world though.

3. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I'm actually hoping for a full-blown turnaround for Gabriel. He's made his mistakes, but so have a lot of the others. His seeming commitment and determination to survive and contribute have me pulling for him. I'd like to see him become a bad-ass.

[video=youtube;IQXDs5eXHzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQXDs5eXHzM[/video]

4. Walker Caravan

:)
    It's not so Gabriel and Carol. There's shades of Glenn.

One of the worst comments I've ever written. Apologies.

5. walkon

walkon Active Member

I think Gabriel is being rather angelic right now. . . .

6. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suppose. But I took it as, much like the entire "redemption" theme currently running through the show, that our group's ability to repeatedly give people a second (or sixth) chance to do the right thing is supposed to be symbolic of the fact that despite everything they have done, they are still decent people hanging onto their humanity. They are still capable of forgiveness, empathy, blah, blah blah..
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm frustrated with the whole redemption thing. I don't mean that as a knock on the show or the writing, just a personal beef. I don't give people that many chances to screw me over again and again in real life, so it irks me to see my peeps constantly put their necks out for people who have already screwed them over more than once.

7. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

If the girl is cute, then I adopt the exact opposite of your policy.

In real life, we have an endless supply of people to take their place to the ones we shut out of our lives. In the ZA, where strength in numbers is important, I think I'd have to be inclined to give them more chances. The only time that I really felt that FG committed a major offense is when he tried to get Deanna to turn on them. I can look past his cowardly act at the outbreak.

8. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

Yeah outside of Mr. Grimes, I do agree with you that the Redemption theme is pretty heavy handed and probably why FG is still on the show.

From a writing standpoint I'm not against it either, but the part in bold really resonated with me. It's hard to understand Glenn's desire to rehabilitate Nicholas and support FG if you put yourselves in the shoes of the people they've wronged. It's not like they owe people money or they had a bad argument or something relatively trivial. They failed people repeatedly in life or death situations. People DIED. You can't come back from that. That's not something you just overlook.

9. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I wasn't specifically speaking to FG in my last post, but can understand why our group would harbor some negative vibes towards him even now. I hope he continues to try and redeem himself. He's been one of the least offensive though in terms of needing a second chance. At least FG acknowledges what he is and isn't and is trying to contribute.
    But take Nicholas for example. He and Aiden nearly got them attacked by playing games with hanging tree walker. But hey, they're inexperienced, let's give them another chance. He bails on his buddy Aiden and it's discovered that's their standard MO. But hey, let's give him another chance. Stuck in a revolving door surrounded by walkers and the people who just saved your hide, and your standard MO gets Noah brutally killed. But hey, when we get back Glenn will give him a stern talking to and...another chance to get with the program. Lure Glenn outside the walls in an attempt to assassinate him in cold blood, almost succeed, but Glenn decides what Nicholas really needs is another chance. And onto the dumpster scene, where we see walker corpses of the other folks Nicholas bailed on, and then decides he's too chicken shyt to deal with a herd - this after leading Glenn and co. around while semi -lucid in an attempt to give him yet another chance - kills himself because he can't physically bail on Glenn( thank YOU, Nicholas) and almost gets Glenn killed.
    Call me crazy, but if you lead me into the woods and try to murder me, I wouldn't be as forgiving as Glenn going forward. It's not like Nicholas' faults revolved around him eating the last Twinkie or borrowing your can opener without returning it.
    I get people are limited resources. Too bad Nick didn't, or maybe he would have stopped getting people killed.

Good grief, don't even get me started on Morgan and the Wolf:zombies_nosmile:

lol @ your cute girl policy. As long as she doesn't try to kill you in the middle of the woods, you should do OK. ; )

10. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Ah, ok. Yeah, I took it that way. I was grudgingly accepting of Aiden, but what Nicholas had done was worthy of being killed. The only thing that might have kept me from finishing him off was that the group was still new to ASZ, and it might have started an internal war (because the ASZ'ers would probably still side with Nicholas.) It's the same with Ron/Carl. I wanted Carl to tell his dad, but again the circumstances sort of needed Carl to let Ron live.

And Morgan, yeah. While I can appreciate his trying to live by his code, the Wolf was the last straw. It should be exile or death.

11. Zombie_Penguin

They are going to need another death, soon, so I imagine they'll use father gabriel as one of those deaths. I bet he somehow dies saving someone and in the end "redeems" himself. He is dead weight at this point, so his time is soon...

12. darkrosenberg

darkrosenberg Member

He's God's little lamb and everyone's else's pain in the arse.

13. allrightcoral

allrightcoral New Member

I think he's there to stay relevant and irritating so we're nice and ready for him to die.

14. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

Even in the comics Gabriel seems like a weird, unnecessary character once they get to ASZ. He kinda turns into as uneventful nothing.

15. Watching Dead

Watching Dead Member

He looked to be on board, he machete'd up that walker pretty nice on the way to the house. I think Morgan has taken a lot of heat off of FG. If it weren't for Morgan I think the fans would really be on FG more, and I think if it weren't for the herd crisis Rick or someone would have already taken care of him.

FG redemption might have been good if he wasn't so detrimental at Alexandria, I still can't believe he told Deanna that the group couldn't be trusted. He really has betrayed the group directly but seems like he is making a new attempt to turn things around.

16. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

The perfect summation. Applause.

#36 AnnieOakley, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  17. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

FG has tried several times recently to be useful, and offered to do stuff, but Rick has cut him dead. This episode showed that he has turned the corner and can be given some responsibility. And yes agree about redemption being the series theme, all the FG haters, give a priest break.

18. ctx1769

ctx1769 Member

I hate to say this, But Gabriel was for useful than Eugene in this episode.

19. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm becoming less curious about the alleged seriousness of this thread, and more curious about this VickGrimes/Morgotha/Mtito/DietWater thing.

I hate being out of the loop... I need links to threads where feud(s) were started, I need private message(s) (or a private massage, lol), I need post "Likes" and "Dislikes" counts, good rep stats, bad rep stats, and names of other people involved, or witnesses so I can verify stories.

20. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Being in the loop may result in infractions though. Are you sure about that?