Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why was Abraham's family scared of him?

Discussion in 'Episode 505 - Self-Help' started by Franklin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Something I thought about in the shower...(As you do)

Maybe the wife (who clearly was in an emotional state and not thinking well anyway) laid some blame on Abraham for putting her in the position she was in, and what happened to her...

So, she was resenting his decision to live as a group with these men, and work as a group and team - instead of just looking after her and the kids alone. Maybe she expressed uneasiness with the situation - and perhaps some of the men - and he blew it off.

So, in her mind, she's thinking he's used bad judgement several times now and won't listen to her, plus whatever their past history was, and the trauma she just experiences with her kids, and seeing him being viciously brutally violent - amounting to her just wanting to get as far away from him as possible, because she just can't trust him or his judgement.

Lets face it - it's not like Abraham appears to be a really compromising guy, who takes advice or suggestion from others well... So one can assume this MAY have come into play with the situation they were living as a group.

Just a theory.

2. Rich Grimes

Rich Grimes New Member

Excuse me sir, but do you have something against poop children? I happen to have 5 babies made purely out of poop. There was this one that got good at walking when they turned one, and would smile about it, so I started tripping them down the stairs. Their name was Franklin.

3. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#103 CheesyBirdMess, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  4. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

in my shower I do too.. lol :)

the disco poo

5. Darylette

Darylette Member

Yes exactly. It's about possession, and someone just messed with their property. And SEXUALLY. New spouses of DV survivors are known to be at risk of the ex.

6. Darylette

Darylette Member

Yeah exactly. Some people will never accept that they're wrong, some people are just plain idiotic and make idiotic decisions.

7. Darylette

Darylette Member

I never saw rape, I thought it was a fight over cans of food. It happened next to the supplies and the supplies were low.

The aftermath of ZA is clinically shocking. You watch people die horribly, horrific graphic sights that you can't get out of your brain. You watch people's minds just break. You watch people kill each other and you're helpless, there's nothing that you can do about it. The whole infrastructure of society collapses, nothing is safe and there is danger everywhere. Nobody, literally nobody would be ok seeing all this, everyone would be effected and changed in some way.

You don't sleep. You don't eat properly. You're cold an uncomfortable constantly. You can't wash. You're on constant high alert because nothing is safe. The adrenaline is pounding round your body constantly, you're worn out. Heck, after a while not sleeping you might even start hallucinating. There's no doctor to see to get pills to help you, and your hair starts falling out in clumps because of the severe physical and emotional strain that you're under. Your mind isn't going in a straight line anymore, it's like a tangled ball of wool, it's a mess and there's no trained counsellors around to help you process things...and if there were they'd be struggling too.

Your husband kills several men with his bare hands. He doesn't seem safe anymore, he's wild and brutal.

In a state ofanxiety you just RUN.

Is it really that surprising that someone would make a bad decision in the middle of such a crazy circumstance?

8. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

Totally agree with your perspective. I haven't read the comics and lost interest in the Talking Dead a couple of seasons ago. So, I saw the flashback as Abe going berserk over the last can of peas. From my perspective it seemed his wife was quite emaciated, so I could easily see Abe would view the supplies as a life or death matter. This didn't come across as early in the crisis when there was still hope that authorities would arrive to save the day.

I found it very consistent with the obsessive and borderline abusive manner in which he's portrayed regarding the "mission". So, I had no problem with the idea his wife could be so frightened by his behavior that she tried to get away with her kids. Especially given the way Abe has been portrayed to treat those close to him during times of stress. And I thought it provided a great parallel to the current situation. The "mission' had become a surrogate for the family he'd driven away. And yet he was repeating the same aggressive and uncompromising behavior in his new relationships.

I thought it was a really strong episode that ended in a way that would allow Abe's character to evolve in a new direction. But then I came to the board, saw all the discussion about rape, and was like "wtf did I miss".

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Michael speaks about this topic with Entertainment Weekly. You can read it here. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/09/walking-dead-michael-cudlitz-abraham-self-help/

Here is a very important quote from the article.

This does NOT make sense. How in the hell does he become worse than a group of rapist because he protected his family from them. They are scared of him because he had to kill their rapist to protect them. What did they want him to do say hi guys had fun ****ing them? It's not like Abe left the group to kill time. He was out looking for food, water, guns, and other supplies. It's not like he just abandoned them with their neighbors that they thought were good people.

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I didn't agree with your post but then I noticed the 'not' was capitalized so for a second I thought it must be true. A second.

Oh, and the quote doesn't say he was 'more' terrible than the rapists. You are telling stories again.

11. Neuropyramidal

Franklin is one of those people who just can't see other sides to things. I wonder if he's ever seen the tail end of a quarter.

12. Franklin

Franklin Member

I clearly see your side. However, I disagree with your position. Get over it.

Okay saying "more" wasn't said in the article. I personally feel their actions pointed to them feeling Abe was more terrible than the rapist because they rejected his protection from horrible people.

13. Neuropyramidal

I'm way over it. I'm just making fun of your staggering inability to use reason and logic.

14. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

I'm thinking his wife hadn't realised that that kind of thing was what they had to do to survive and thought he was a monster. She was ignorant, really..

15. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

The scene was terribly executed and left too much to the imagination to those that hadn't read the comics. The scene should have started when the violence was still occuring towards his family, not when he was finishing off the last guy. The viewer was left wondering why his family was traumatized amd don't even get me into how poorly executed the parking lot scene was. I will never be able to take ABE seriously as anything other than muscle after seeing how he met Eugene. They could have at least made Eugene appear as a scientist as opposed to some weakling with a mullet in a parking lot. Milton in that role would have been so believable and at this point I may be saying to myself that I might have fallen for it too. Now I just think Abe is an idiot.

16. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

Abe's wife- I don't feel like it right now, please stop!

Abe- NOW!

I can't picture Abe treating his wife much differently than he did Eugene. He is a control freak that would view her almost as property and the marriage as his mission to succeed how he felt it should and would not hesitate to use, at a minimum, forceful words to achieve that.