Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Will Daryl act differently now?

Discussion in 'Episode 1006 - Bonds' started by BlackBird, Nov 12, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Much as I was annoyed at Carol for lying to Daryl, I did enjoy their little scene throwing acorns at a can and Carol planting and watering the seed in Daryl's mind that this thing with Connie could perhaps grow into something more than just friendship.

Now that he no longer can pretend "it's nothing like that" to himself, I can't wait to see his next interaction with Connie. I just hope he won't withdraw into his shell now, because he'll be too self conscious. It was easy up till now, because he wasn't overthinking it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he now stepped back a little, but Connie won't let him, I hope.

My heart breaks for him. He's so broken, he can't just recognise and welcome a loving feeling for what it is and reach out for it. So let's hope Carol's little pep talk will eventually turn out to be fruitful. At least Connie seems to know her feelings already. Her face said it all when Daryl left Hilltop.

• Like Like x 3
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hope Daryl doesn’t crawl back into his shell either now that the cats out of the bag so to speak. If he tries, Connie’s gonna want to know the reason why.

However, maybe he just needed some confirmation from someone he cares about that maybe love is in the air. He doesn’t exactly have a lot of experience with woman and may not have recognized the signs himself. At least Carol gave him something to think about.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Albert Wesker29

Daryl is gay, of course.

4. BlackBird

[​IMG]

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

That scene though could also be read that Daryl is actually more interested in Carol than Connie. It's no coincidence that we're also getting a lot of one on one time with him and Carol. After last season I thought we were headed in the direction of him with Connie, but now I'm more on the fence with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I think the one on one time with Carol is because they can talk to each other in a way that most people they're with can't and the audience loves it. We get a lot of where they're really at mentally and otherwise when they are alone and talk.
    I just think that romance ship sailed too long ago. If it was ever there to begin with. And personally I think they're better as they are. A truly deep connection and love, but not a romantic relationship. I can't see that with them.
    And they keep popping in these little scenes with Connie that show her and Daryl growing closer together.
    There's a completely different vibe there.
    Putting Carol and Daryl in a relationship would ruin what they have. And what they have is very special. I can't see them being a good couple.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. BlackBird

I agree with @KiernansFaerie's post above. I don't see how that scene could be read as proof that Daryl is more interested in Carol. Because he was so defensive first about the suggestion that he likes Connie? "It's not like that, not at all"? That in itself I guess, could have been interpreted that way.
    But after that he basically agreed with Carol, that Connie's one of the good ones, and that he can't hide out with his dog forever, and when he next threw an acorn, it hit with such precision and power that it knocked it over. And they both laughed like "that's just settled it", as Carol actually said something like, [now that we have had this sorted] "your aim is already better" or something like that. In its entirety the scene was about Carol making Daryl aware that he could have more with Connie if he was willing to go for it, and he jolly well should, because 1.god knows he had waited long enough 2. can't wait forever 3. won't find a better match than Connie. And 4, because it's already happening anyways. If Carol saw it too... right? Not to mention he has already started learning sign language for her, practically co-owns Dog with her, shared intimate moments and held hands with her... You know.

9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of reasons Daryl is so defensive about Connie when talking to Carol. His emotional immaturity and lack of any real emotional connection to women from a romantic point of view.

I think the real reason is similar to Connie, who also had a "defensive" reaction about Daryl to Kelly on the beach. Daryl is focused on what is happening right now. The Whisperers, Lydia, Negan. There is so much shit going on that he probably feels that flirting with Connie isn't something high on his priority list right now. I don't think he acted like that because he wants Carol or anything, he simply isn't in that frame of mind right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BlackBird

Exactly. I'd also add, Daryl's is simply not in that frame of mind, not just right now, but probably ever. The fact he is so slow to realise what's going on just shows his painful lack of experience with such things, like you've mentioned it too.

And one more important reason for the denial is that Daryl's so very private, and he's totally out of his comfort zone having to talk about feelings, even with Carol. Especially about a girl.

It's all so sad and endearing at the same time. If it was finally going to happen for him, after 11 years of being alone, that would be just so speacial and amazing.

11. Stealth

I would prefer to see them matchup Daryl with Connie instead of Carol too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stealth

Yes, that was the line. It's just the way he said it. It was like someone in high school letting a person know they're not interested in someone in a vague way that insinuates they're available. Daryl is so reticent of relationships that it made me wonder.

It could also mean he's simply denying feelings for Connie even though he has them, but there was gray area to that whole scene for me, considering Daryl's trouble with getting close to people.

13. BlackBird

Yes, Daryl’s psyche is quite an intricate tangle of extremes. And I think there’s also that little tease the show has been constantly sprinkling over the years about Daryl and Carol, that appears to be so open to interpretation. I mean, giving Carol a dream of Daryl as her husband, that was quite a strong tease. But at the end of the day, we will all interpret things filtered through our own sentiments. The dream is definitely open for interpretation.

It’s very interesting to me how “shipping” works. How emotionally involved people can get by supporting a fictional relationship. And how easily it can get out of hand and create practically tribal warfare. It can become a fixation. An obsession. And how some people would actually stop watching a show altogether if they don’t get the pairing they wanted.

I think no one can deny though that Connie has quite a little crush on Daryl. And that he has grown close with her surprisingly fast.

I just adore everything about this potential pairing. As much as I adore Daryl’s friendship with Carol.