Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Will Gimple get fired??

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by TROR, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Komodia

Komodia Member

Everyone that I know who watches this show is losing interest in it. They are part of that 'silent majority' Terminator is talking about since they do not go on forums or social media. I wouldn't be shock to see the ratings take a nose dive next season.

2. GrrArrg

GrrArrg Member

I hope so. Should have been fired two seasons ago.

3. gulgoth

gulgoth New Member

whoever made the decision to end it the way they did needs to be fired. they could have ended it before revealing lucille, or after showing what happened. that was the dumbest yank you out of the moment ending in the history of motion pictures. a real cliffhanger doesn't leave you guessing "who", it leaves you guessing "what".

4. mfinley

mfinley Member

According to the Hollywood reporter Gimple has gotten a new contract extension and an increase in per episode salary.

5. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

When has it?

6. Jay Bonansinga

A lot more to it then that. If the job was such a cake walk i'm sure the show would still be being run by Darabount not to mention the incredible stress that comes along with any top rated show.

7. hcopenhagenh

hcopenhagenh Active Member

This season was the worst of the 6 and the ratings show it.

Gimple should be fired.

8. Rick's Nose

Rick's Nose Member

I enjoyed the season. I felt cheated.

It will be interesting to see whether the reason for the cliffhanger is as indeed as powerful as he says and whether he can meet those claims he made for doing it on TTD

9. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I have read any number of positive comments about how the show has done some things better than the comic. Those comments are generally about additions to characters or story lines.

But the cliffhanger represents a subtraction from the comic. And when was the last time the show did that in such a large way? When it killed off Andrea.

That's right. Gimple has put himself into Mazzara territory with this cliffhanger. Let's hope he gets the message and doesn't pull a stunt like this again.

#49 westwingnut, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  10. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Gimple go, but I think he's going to be in his position until the bitter end.

11. BlackLightning

Is this cliffhanger all that bad? I mean, really?

12. runcornwalker

runcornwalker Member

Well i for one enjoyed it. I must be missing something. Why do so many criticise what is arguably the best show on TV.

13. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

yes. Yes it was. Emotionally anti-climactic.

14. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

I get the OP is pretty ticked off about this cliffhanger like many people are but having Gimple fired is taking too far IMO. Focus on the positives on the episode than the negatives. I do agree the cliffhanger is a major disappointment but I think people are over reacting just smidge.

15. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

You are making the argument. TWD indeed IS a phenomenon of television. It is so good. Which is what makes this cliffhanger crap with Negan SO BAD. It's like pissing on the floor of the Louvre.

#55 br0k3n, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  16. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

Gimple shouldn't be fired but he needs a wake up call. I don't think this CH was the biggest mistake , Glenn fake out death was. I frankly don't care who died , they overplayed the card and I'm starting to not care about even the season 1 people any more.

In my opinion Gimple has 3 issues and the biggest is..... he is not good at getting people to connect with the mass of "red shirts" he kills off. I remember Alex's death more then the vast majority of people Gimple killed off. He killed off the love of Rick's life , did that impact anyone ? We should have cared about that , a lot. It took Gimple what 6 episodes to give Beth's death some impact, Ty had his whole hallucination episode , Lizze and Mica (these are the only deaths I think Gimple hit out of the park) had a couple episodes in the woods and a good build up in the season, Noah's death I think was the second best from Gimple. I don't think its just getting desensitized because of the massive amount of deaths.

Secondly I don't think Gimple is good working with the restrictive pacing. We did not need 8 hours of season 4 to get "Hey they are all alone." and then it took 10 episodes and a reset to get the group back together and on the road to AZS (killing of the Terminates was cool ) there was a bit of set up for Fr Gabriel's betrayal but then they sort of glossed over his redemption. The hospital was just bizarre ,not the we treat you and then you are our slaves bit but the "oh yeah it was just those 3 people who were A-holes otherwise we are all totally good with being slaves and the arbitrary beatings" BTW our group was fine with leaving the rest of them as slaves until Dawn died.

The 3rd is he is an inconsistent story teller. One minute he is hitting us over the head with "Morgan must be a pacifistic for 90 minutes" and we get 3 minutes to explain Carols break down and have to do all the heavy lifting ourselves. It's not unbelievable that Carol has a break down , it's just wasn't well executed. Just like it wasn't well executed that she felt the need to kill Karen and David. He half asses some really complicated and unnecessary plot lines. There was no real need to have Carol kill Karen and David they could have gotten to the exact same place without it. TY could have been just as upset she was dying/died of the flu , Carol should be much more traumatized by having to kill Lizzie then anyone else.

Meh maybe he should be fired.

17. Komodia

Komodia Member

Yes

18. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

Yes its bad , it was completely ineffective and unnecessary. Also it wasn't a "real" cliffhanger Gimple confirmed we just saw someone die, waiting 7 months to find out who will diminish the impact not make it more tense over the summer. We're not spending our time trying to figure out who it was and we're barely discussing the other 10 mysteries, and we're mostly bitching about not knowing who. There would have been more debate and interest if we knew who it was.

List of the other mysteries...

What happened to Hilltop?
    Who are the people who have Carol and Morgan (shhh comic people don't tell us)
    Are Carols injuries fatal (hey she was shoot 3 times)
    Will Carol snap out of it?
    Will they take Maggie to a Dr?
    Will Maggie and the baby survive?
    Are they going to kill more then one person?
    Will Negan just let them go home? or are the going to have to escape?
    Did the saviors attack ASZ while herding the rest of the group?
    Did they find Tara and Health on the road and kill them already?

If we knew who died we would also be debated how it would effect the group, now we're stuck with a totally unsatisfying ending.

#58 shhh its me, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  19. Aquatic Nuggets

I still think Season 6 and that finale were terrible, and I too, would kinda prefer it if Darabont was still in the show runner's saddle (you can go "but Season 1 was uneven!" All you want, but that was the first season, and it was 6 episodes. Of course it was, it's very rare for a show to have a knockout first season - the pilot was a lucky shot. Frank's plans for the original Season 2 premiere with the Vatos scene and the flashback episode that explained the tank walker had a scope and scale that Gimple and Mazarra sorely lack and I feel like the show would be in a better place were he still here), but I think Gimple's done a good job with the show still, despite some qualms.

i don't know if I'm alone in this, but it seems like post-Season 4, and definitely post-Alexandria, that the show has started to feel a little less realistic. I don't know if that's a result of Gimple, or if it's just a result of the comic becoming more and more outlandish and detached from reality as it went on, and so the adaptation has mirrored it, but it definitely feels more based on the comic, especially this season, and that hasn't been great.

Gimple is also a huge enforcer of the 8 episodes rule, and that's very much made the past two seasons feel like 4 different ones. As yikes as Season 3 got at times, it still functions as a cohesive unit. Season 4 does as well, but Season 5 feels very abstract in how it jumps from its Season 1-Esque romp through Atlanta to its arrival in Alexandria. Season 6 is worse. This adherence to formula absolutely decimated this season. Start to Finish and No Way Out desperately needed to be fused into one 90 minute episode, because in pushing the first half of the season's conclusion into the next half, the rest of the season ends up feeling rushed for time. This is why I assume they skipped over the clean-up/grieving process and had an immediate time jump - because they literally didn't have enough time. I feel as if another episode may have been able to tie everything together, but the awful planning this season left them only really 7 episodes to tell a story. In Season 4, we put an end to the prison at the midseason. In Season 5, we put an end to the Hospital arc at the midseason. In Season 6, we give 90 minutes to the first episode of the season and a bottle episode, and then are forced to let this arc's story eat up time of the next one.

But I don't think Gimple needs to be fired. To be fair, there was a lot to introduce and do this season, and it couldn't have been easy. At the same time though, those cliffhangers and gimmicks can suck a pair of bitchnuts, the characters became utterly stupid by season's end, and (most importantly) why did Matthew Negrete get to write 5 episodes this season? One of them was good. One. Maybe two if you're nice.

Gimple just had a misfire with this season. If Season 7 comes along and there are more gimmicks and terrible writing, then hey, this'll be a very real concern. But for now, I don't think it is. Let's just see how he recovers from this season.

20. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

He should be set on fire... by Carol, who is suddenly back to her old, resilient, flame-throwing badass self (not an illogical, moronically written coward who suddenly wants to die and "not love" anyone). How idiotic... anyway. Yes, he should be fired both professionally and literally. The actors could improvise a better show... but I'll have to find out on Netflix in a hundred years when I'm bored enough to watch what happened after this show-killing nosedive.

Until then...

[​IMG]

#60 AnnieOakley, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016