Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Will Gimple get fired??

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by TROR, Apr 3, 2016.

1. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Mazzara wasn't fired just because he killed off Andrea. That was just the final blow in a long series of choices that he made that, in general, took the show in a different direction from the comic. Maybe not so much in terms of storyline, but in terms of that feel that the show was an expression of a comic book.

Gimple, at least, has brought the show back towards the comic. That choice is not without its downsides, since the comic has its own flaws and is, after all a comic book. But at least we know that the show is in the hands of someone who doesn't feel he can kill off a major character like Andrea at his own whim.

That's just my general sense of things, gleaned from tidbits of information placed here and there. Ultimately the person who chooses the showrunner is Robert Kirkman. If he believes that Gimple is doing a good job, Gimple will stay.

2. westwingnut

Bumping this thread. Just because.

Season 4 of The West Wing ended on a cliffhanger of sort, and also involved a change in showrunner. Aaron Sorkin was moved out because his perpetual tardiness in delivering scripts led to serious cost overruns. He then wrote an ending to the season that was pretty much impossible to resolve satisfactorily.

#62 westwingnut, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. Guitarman23

Guitarman23 Member

Maybe he was too busy with his shrooms'??

I kid! I kid!!

4. westwingnut

Actually, I've read some serious comments to that effect from West Wing fans over the years. I have no knowledge one way or the other, but to be honest Sorkin was incredibly petty and vindictive at times and drug use could have been a factor in that. Reminds me of Rob Ford (RIP).

5. Guitarman23

Guitarman23 Member

I don't really know either, just what the news reports say. Personally, I don't really care if someone does drugs. I admire talent and creativity and Sorkin seems to have both in great supply. And some people believe taking things like mushrooms, pot, acid, etc increases the ability to be creative. So hey, whatever works.

#65 Guitarman23, Apr 19, 2016
  6. westwingnut

I can't argue with that. West Wing was and is the greatest show of all time (imho).

Some say that Sorkin ruined the main character with his ending to season 4, in that Bartlet essentially became a lame duck by temporarily handing over the presidency. Fact is, Sorkin was out of good material by season 4. The show didn't really pick up again until season 6, when the focus of the show changed to the campaign for the next President.

In fact, I suppose one could argue that the last 3 episodes of season 4 were one big gimmick. The vice-president was caught in a sex scandal and is forced to resign. The president's daughter was kidnapped, ostensibly by Muslim extremists. The president was forced to invoke the 25th amendment and step down. But since the country did not have a vice-president, the Speaker of the House--a Republican--became the Acting President.

It's a darned shame when showrunners, for whatever reason, need to resort to gimmicks instead of focusing on solid storytelling.

#66 westwingnut, Apr 19, 2016
  7. Guitarman23

Guitarman23 Member

You have a lot of cajones to make a statement like that on a TWD forum (although you did say imho). I am ducking out of range of the crossbows being aimed at you right now. ;-)

I am not well versed in the West Wing but I can imagine it must be quite difficult writing quality episodes week after week, season after season. Not only just having the creativity and talent to produce a quality product, but dealing with all the other junk that probably goes along with writing a hit TV show. The other writers working on the show who all have their own ideas about what should happen; the suits from the network who you have to sometimes placate; the fans of the show who all have their own wishes and opinions; Show runners who have their own take on things; on and on.....

But yes, some of the decisions and plot lines for some otherwise fantastic shows can leave you scratching your head. Maybe it sounded like a great idea in the writers room???

#67 Guitarman23, Apr 19, 2016
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Preach!

9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

IMO....no. Was I butt hurt for the first hour that I did not get what I wanted? Yes. Then I got over it, moved on, and am anxiously looking forward to season 7

10. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Can I get an amen?
    [​IMG]

11. westwingnut

If they're aiming at me then I'm not too worried. Crossbows kick like a bitch.

Aaron Sorkin pretty much wrote all of The West Wing during its first four seasons. He had a staff of story consultants and writers, but he almost always wrote the final teleplay himself. He allowed someone to write an entire episode during the first season, but it did not measure up to his expectations, so he stopped doing that. I can understand why he burned out, or fell behind, or whatever. But he really did a number on his own show at the end to his tenure.

I'm in the same boat. It's just that I noted earlier that Robert Kirkman has gone off the grid since 616 aired, and I wonder if that indicates that a shakeup is in the mix, or at least being contemplated by the ptb.

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by HondaS2kXD [​IMG]
    Meh. On episode one, I agree. I loved Darabont. But I could really take or (more likely) leave most of season 1.

and a Hallelujah for good measure

[​IMG]

13. HondaS2kXD

[​IMG]

14. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Looks like previews for Top Gun 2.

15. Simone

Simone Member

Gimple won't be fired. He is the best showrunner that this show has had.

16. BlackLightning

(I also want to know the opinion of [MENTION=17192]Dnae[/MENTION])

What was wrong with Darabont? When I first got into Walking Dead via Netflix, I loved season 1. It was my favorite season (although 6 episodes is more like a miniseries than a full-serial season so I don't know if what I said even counts) up until season 4.

17. LMT

LMT Member

I loved season one as well.

18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Actually my opinion of Darabont himself is simply put, ambivalent. I do not know enough about his past work having only watched a couple of his movies in passing. To judge his entire or at least a large portion of his work portfolio is impossible based on my lack of knowledge

My agreeing with Honda comes from the opinion that he and I share about season 1 being the weakest of the six. Do not get me wrong, I loved episode 1 - and that is the episode that had me hook line and sinker. And to be quite honest when I was watching the first season during its initial run I enjoyed it quite a lot (obviously since I stuck with it). It is in re-watching season 1, especially in comparison to other seasons, that I find it to be the weakest of the six thus far. Granted it was only six episodes, but out of those six episodes the first three are far better than the remaining three and out of those first three it is DGB and Tell it to the Frogs that shine. And I will go so far as to say that Vatos and TS-19 are two of the weakest episodes of the entire series. The stories of each of those episodes I find bland, especially Vatos.

I am certainly not a well versed critic of the proper way to tell/write a story, nor the preferred way to film this or that scene. Yet I am well versed in what I myself find worthy of praise or worthy of a wee bit of criticism. Of course this is all subjective as are things with all television, movies and music.

19. HondaS2kXD

Pretty much what @Dnae said. To put it into perspective, I was first introduced to The Walking Dead watching the whole of season 2 on DVD. I loved it. Then I went back and found season 1 on Netflix (aside from episode one) slightly underwhelming if anything. The idea of intelligent zombies using tools and retaining memories from their lives is stupid. The CDC was stupid. Vatos was stupid. Season 1 Daryl was stupid. Andrea's suicide attempt was stupid, and it began her character's downward spiral towards total clusterf*ckery of a fantastic comic character. Dale's attempting to save her but indifference towards Jacqui was stupid. And the group learned too much at the CDC-- which even Robert Kirkman agrees with me on.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it was "bad," by any means. (Aside from vatos. That was bad.) Im just saying it wasn't the absolute perfection that lots of people like to think it was. I say it was a decent starting point, but the show has gotten better and better every single season. (aside from season 3, and the hospital arc)

But, like she said, these are just opinions. We are all free to disagree with eachother.

But I'm definitely right. In my opinion. ;)

20. westwingnut

#80 westwingnut, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016