Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

WNBA

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NakedCity, Jul 24, 2018.

1. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

What an amazing season so far this year. And what an interesting rookie group.

Any fans out there? :)
    If not, all-star game coming this weekend, could be a good starting point!

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

;) ;) ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. NakedCity

Yeah I know!!!! I hang out with basketball coaches and most of them couldn't even name a single player. That's a shame though, because on strategic and IQ levels, I enjoy watching the women's game a lot more than the men's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. PepperAnn

I enjoy basketball, I never thought about the women being more interesting on those levels. Hmmm...

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

O rly? So... Women aren't as interesting as men are when it comes to strategic or intelligence related matters when it comes to sports? hmmmm... Interesting. Tell us more, you sexist pig!

(Well played, Pepp! A little fake controversy is exactly what this snore-fest of a thread needs. Keep it up. lol)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. NakedCity

Hey!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. PepperAnn

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

@NakedCity I like your style.

Granted, this thread isn't going to get the kind of juice that "Time for Trump to go" or "So... Chris Harwick" gets, but you still put yourself out there and tried to find something for us to talk about. It's ironic that the threads that bring out the most controversy and possibly, the worst in us, are also the most popular/most posted in. lol

9. NakedCity

At some point, a fan of the Phoenix Mercury will get in here and things will get ugly too. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't really watch sports at all, aside from the occasional baseball game because they're fun to go to lol. But I have always thought it to be such a shame that women's sports generally aren't as recognized as men's. One day :)

11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I think there's certain Olympic sports where women get more of the spotlight then men, (beach volleyball, gymnastics, figure skating) but that might be due to seeing them as sex objects because of their tight/small clothing and their rockin' bodies.

<Quickly pops in a DVD of the last Olympics>

Anyway... I was going to make a really good point, but I got distracted for some reason. Sorry.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's true...and it's kinda cool in a way because it highlights some differences between men and women and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe women are better at more technical fine-tuned skills like figure skating and gymnastics, where men shine at beating one another up and hitting balls and stuff. LOL kidding.

Seriously though, i don't think there's anything wrong with men and women having different strengths and weaknesses. BUT i do hope that the sports like women's basketball who also have male versions start to get more recognition :)

Also...since a kid i always wished there was womens baseball and not softball. Wtf? I grew up playing baseball with the neighbor kids, and then suddenly they want me to use this gigantic softball?

• Like Like x 1
  13. NakedCity

The women players of the WNBA are working HARD towards that. Players like Candace Parker, Maya Moore and Chiney Ogwumike are getting huge visibility.

They're being "in your face" about the situation too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. NakedCity

15h30 on ABC
    Just saying :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I've never understood that. Any of it. Why there's baseball vs. softball. Why softball is almost identical to baseball, but with a larger ball and a different style of pitching. Why softball used to be considered a "woman's sport".

There's got to be a lot of sexist history behind all of that. Were women rebelling against the sexism of men and baseball and tried to create a woman's alternative? Or was there some sexist women who talked the other women into thinking softball was easier? Or maybe the men did it? I don't know. They just need to do away with softball and let the ladies play baseball.

I watched "A League of their Own". I know what's up. ;-)

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. NakedCity

Funnily enough, the women's basketball is smaller than the men's. I've been coaching girls for a few years now (coached boys before) and I can't shoot a men's ball anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That's funny.

But okay.... doesn't that make some sense though? Having the ball be smaller for women because their hands are generally smaller than a man's? At least this particular sport.

I can't think of a sport where a ball is physically handled more, and by every player on the team. Only goal keepers can handle the ball in soccer. Baseball players only handle a ball to throw it to someone else. Only football players in select positions handle the football a lot.

Maybe Rugby players get a lot of ball handling, but I still think basketball players get the most contact and they have to dribble, hold, catch passes, shoot, switch hands, etc. A smaller ball for females makes it easier for them to handle if the vast majority of them have smaller hands than their male counterparts.

It's like bicycling, there's different styles that are better suited for women because they are physically different from men in size. The only thing I can't understand is why men's bikes have the "nut crusher" bar and women's bikes don't. I demand justice!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I’ve always wondered this! Shouldn’t it be the opposite since men have...stuff there...that should require a lower bar??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

IKR?!?!?

And that little padded foam Subway sandwich thing does NOT help one bit. I don't even think they put those on bikes now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. NakedCity

Exactly that. They use the same ball that bantam boys (12-13 y/o) use. As for handling the ball, handball has a lot of touches too, still probably less than basketball (at least in the variety of moves).

And to get back to female players, it's fun to know that the best free throw shooter is a woman (Elena Delle Donne), and the best season ever at field goal % was achieved by a woman too (Nneka Ogwumike).

Just during this all-star weekend, Allie Quigley did this (check the last round, starting at 2:30):

She could rival with any male shooter.