Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

World population

Discussion in 'Episode 302 - Sick' started by Gajt530, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Gajt530

Gajt530 New Member

Rick mentions that half the worlds population has been wiped out. Do we think that many people survived? Are there places in the world that were unaffected, some remote islands? Does anyone think there are any intact governments?

2. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I don't think half the world survived. I think its a much smaller amount.

3. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

Yeah when he said half.... well, that sounds pretty optimistic. And Jenner mentioned that scientists around the world were looking at this. Everyone was affected.

4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I doubt it's half, I think he was trying to be optimistic.

I think even an eighth of the population left would be pushing it...

Half the population may have survived in the initial days after mass infection, but then the infected half would have dramatically reduced the surviving half...

5. Chreees

Chreees Member

What is this infected half you speak of? What infection?

6. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I use the generalized term 'infected'...

Infection, virus, pre existing condition, dormant gene/virus... I'm good with generalizing an infection personally..

7. AVC

AVC Member

By the look of the general state of the nation, I would say less than 10 percent.

Having said that, there seems to have been wide spread looting, they are driving crappy cars and they're not carrying a small arsenal, so who's been collecting all the goodies?

8. Z_Splatter

Z_Splatter Member

When Rick said that he was speculating. there are no news crews telling them whats going on. half just seemed like a good guess from what he could tell. The whole point is to leave us with as much info as the characters have.

9. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

This wouldn't stop you from having whatever it is that causes you to turn after death.

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. He was just taking an optimistic guess.

It's certainly not half of the population, but if the show follows the source material we'll eventually see that there are many more survivors than we've seen thus far.

11. Morpheus Barker

Agreed. Rick doesn't know the actual statistics of the surviving world. He can only make a general statement on what he's seen through his ordeal. We're following the story in the groups POV. Not ours.

12. Scibby77

Scibby77 New Member

Yes, it struck me that it was way too high, at least by what we have seen. Very rarely do they ever run into anyone else. They have been driving around for months and we have never even seen them pass another running car on the road.

13. Morpheus Barker

Don't forget he said the 'worlds' population. That's all the continents. He didn't specify whether America has fallen or not.

14. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

I'm sure some islands have not been affected... you know not every island is inhabited!

we have yet to see if deep water really protects you from walkers. they can't swim, but they don't need to breath.. I'm not sure if a dead body floats or sinks ... while i don't see any issues with them walking under water, fully submerged , I also don't see how they would keep their bearings / still have stimulus to continue moving forward ....

actually whose to say that someday while someone is swimming they don't get bite by a walker that's been stuck on the bottom for a while? :p eeeks

15. Morpheus Barker

That might be how the second infection happens =P

16. Gajt530

Gajt530 New Member

How
    could everywhere in the world be infected at the same time? Does anyone know how fast from the first infection to the world basically collapsing took? I just can't believe the government couldn't get a hold of it. When the disease first broke out the only way you could turn into a zombie is to die somehow. So why couldn't the government fortify an area for people and keep it well protected for hoards. Then destroy any hoards out there. Where are the tanks, jets, armies, ect. Millions of people don't just die of natural causes every day to turn into zombies, when the zombies started to grow in force I would think the government could counter it. Any thoughts?

17. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

It's a horror show... it's not gonna go 100% by real life logic.

18. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

There's no "infection". In that sense it can't spread. Everyone, across the entire planet, are doomed.

It's as simple as that - We're all f*cked.

19. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea how many people die every day in every city all over the world?

20. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

According to the CIA public data : 56,597,034 per year , That's about a 155,000 a day.

in the US only :
    2,487,415 year / or 6,815 daily deaths. But tyipcally you don't get burried the day you die, could take a few weeks. so there could easily be 68,000 dead people waiting to be burried. if each of them bites 1 person , now the zombies have doubled and no one is aware of it yet... so that could end up being 130K zombies very very shortly after re-animation ... (as in a few minutes) and the government hasn't been even notified.

chances are by the time the CDC or Defense department learns of it, that number is 10 fold and we are pretty screwed.
    and worse if the DOD response is to put everyone down "exposed to zombies" they just created a bunch more ..

If you buy into dead person rising up, the rest of it isn't really hard to swollow.