Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

World war z - is it worth the $ for the DVD?

Discussion in 'Zombie Movies' started by theNextmrsGrimes, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the book, but I like reading interview/documentary/diary type books.

It's not everyone's type of book. I haven't seen the movie yet.

2. Daryl<3

Daryl<3 Member

It was a good movie, but it wasn't everything I wanted it to be. I would rent it before you buy it just incase :)

3. RGHendo

RGHendo Member

they ruined the title, it could have been great just like the book but instead they made a mediocre film with the bullshit infected running zombies and pretty much stopped anyone else from actually making a good film out of it.

4. cpump

cpump Member

I thought it was pretty awsome I like running zombies for a
    change every now and then

5. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I found the movie *okay* (or *meh* as my son would say). Found Pitt's character sloppy, given the experience he was supposed to have, and ever since "I Am Legend", I really don't care for zombies with superhuman-like qualities. Give me the old-fashioned lumbering, groaning, way too easy to outrun - but will suddenly overtake people in swarms - zombies any day.

(This movie did, however, manage to scare the bejeesus out of my dog, who was lying beside me on the sofa as I watched it.)

6. ZombieFart

ZombieFart New Member

Two words....hell no! Biggest box office disappointment of the year!

7. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I luuurved the book and I had to reread it as an antidote when I finally watched World War Z.

I found the movie tediously boring. The first 10 minutes are the best of it and it goes downhill from there.

I think the main problem is that they were determined to get a PG13 rating and IT SHOWS. This is a family friendly zombie movie with nothing to overly upset the kids. You see the problem? No blood is directly shown. All slashings, etc. are shown either below frame or in darkness so that we can't see what's actually going on. No children are placed in direct peril.

The script (in terms of the lines delivered by actors) is basically non existent with nobody saying anything of any import as they rush from one set-up to the next. The ending set-up, while presumably trying to set-up suspense has so many illogcalities to it that you'll end up screaming at the screen "oh, come on". There's a lot of "but hang on, how come if...." moments.

This was a bad movie. If I rated it out of 5 I'd give it a 2. If you've seen the trailer then you've seen the best bits.

8. Adam_Up_Bxtch

Adam_Up_Bxtch Member

As zombie/apocalyptic movies go it's very disappointing, don't watch a zombie movie that is rated PG-13.....just ruins it

9. Doomhed

Doomhed Member

Funny, Those 3 contain 2 of my 3 fav brad favorite pitt films.

10. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

He was alright in moneyball too.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, this movie was awful for anyone who has read the book. Or for anyone who appreciates good movies for that matter. It was just an excuse for Brad Pitt to say "hey look at me" for 2 hours.

12. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;I2cS5Fv5xIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2cS5Fv5xIQ[/video]

13. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I think it could have been a much better movie and been more open for a sequel if they had kept the original story they had planned. The story they changed it to was nonsensical. I dont want to discuss why as it would include spoilers in case you want to see it.

14. gadin210

gadin210 Member

I think this movie is great! Not the BEST movie, but it is good and worth a chance. If possible, stream it before buying it!

15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench New Member

Do you think it's great taking into account the book or are you saying as a lone zombie movie you find it to be great? If you ignore the fact that there is a quality book this should be based on & take into account how many shit zombie movies are out there than I suppose you could have a point. Though I never did that. Did not care for this film.

16. ZombieYa

ZombieYa Member

Yes,it's worth... I love this movie..

17. Deviancy

Deviancy Member

These days you can get the uncut version for about 10 dollars at Target on blu ray, and its worth it. The book and the film are two different beasts. In the book the guy just goes and interviews people towards the end to see how they made it through, and while their stories are very interesting, there are so many different stories, I personally felt none of the characters he interviewed were really given much depth, and he didn't have any depth since he just played Barbara Walters. In short, while I liked the book, it isn't worth a re-read, while the film, I've seen it 4-5 times. I just prefer the route they went in the film with having the lead investigate how things started and try to find a way to end the outbreak, I also liked the fact he had to get his hands dirty and actually fight the undead and not just take notes.

In short, I prefer the film and I think its worth the 10 dollars most online stores sell it for. I mean it isn't an A+ film but it's one of the better modern zombie flicks out there, far better than the crap Romero has been putting out for the last 20 years. There is one film that is far better though, its an indie film called 'The Dead', and I'm not familiar with any of the actors in the film but it's really, really good and Target usually has it for 5 dollars on blu ray.

18. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

just bought the dvd for 2 for £5
    never knew it also had a version with a second disc tho (is the one i got :)
    zombie town hall is the title of the second disc