Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

World War Z

Discussion in 'Zombie Books' started by fatbrett2, Oct 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

That's where I'm at with WWZ. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to high. It has done me well so far with comic book movies. Hopefully it will work with this as well.

2. colombus

colombus New Member

This is an amazing book. As Simon Pegg says its an absolute must have.
    Brooks creates a very believable image that such a war could actually a happen. Most people would think the authorities would deal with anything and whilst I don't believe that zombie would ever really become real, its good to see such a well thought out plan that it actually could happen.

The first thing I think about when watching a zombie film is yeah but the army would deal with them..Brooks shows just how it could happen.

I'll look forward to the film, course the book will be better but I won't be a snob about it, look forward to see what Brad Pitt can do with it

3. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

The Battle Of Yonkers worked out well for the Army eh? :zombies_lol:

4. colombus

colombus New Member

Oh the battle of yonkers...that was gripping. As well as Kondo Tatsumi the young Japanease geek and the US army pilot who had to bail out as her plane went into trouble. course it was all an amazing read.

I'm so sorry its over... I think I may just start it again

5. ShaneFan946

ShaneFan946 Active Member

wow.....if this book is even comparable to TWD......im PICKING IT UP TONITE!!! thanks for the review i really appreciate it :)

6. Maca254

Maca254 Member

The Battle of Yonkers and Zack bodies somehow surviving crush depths on the ocean floor were the only things that really took me out of the story. Especially the former, although in fairness Waino lampshades how much willful idiocy was required to force a loss on behalf of the US Army.

Sharon the feral child, Todd Waino's recount of the long Road to New York (and the vignette about Sgt. Avalon), and not-Howard Dean's recounting of the leadership and death of who could only be Colin Powell were heartbreaking.

7. Elvis Ambush

Elvis Ambush Member

WWZ is awesome. One of the best books I've ever read, regardless of genre. I started re-reading it recently and enjoying just as much.

From what I understand, Max Brooks (son of Mel, by the way) was really happy with the script, so maybe the movie will be good.

8. cycle babus

cycle babus New Member

This book is a clear depiction of how politics is overrun by the plague and how one is pushed to the extreme. You could really observe how a governments shamble regardless of being first or third world countries. Plans are made, to tackle the plague but systemic weaknesses exist all overrun by somethng worst than the monsters, which is human greed. So this book gives us an insight on how a simple zombie apocalypse which is actually something like a village being constantly attacked by tigers, can overtake the living. I mean if people can 'remove" or reduce the population of tigers in a village to the point of extinction then why cant we do that to zombies?? clearly show the weakness of mankind..

9. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Simply put, WWZ is up there with Romero's Dead trilogy and TWD. A MUST READ! Lets hope the movie can live up to what Max Brooks put on paper.

10. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

World War Z is being adapted as a movie? Whoah!!

11. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

Not your typical read, journalist style. Found it pretty dry at first but once the epidemic spread and survival seemed desperate, I understood all the interest in the book. The style of writing I thought boring in the beginning, actually works well for the reader. gives you a broad perspective on a global level. Good book, really takes you there.

12. ggill09

ggill09 Member

I really enjoyed this book and CANT wait for the movie.......if you couldnt tell.

(Look down and then left)

13. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

It's been lying on my book shelf for the past one year. I'll probably start soon. WWZ the movie is coming in 2013. Woohoo!

14. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Is it good then? I bought it a couple of weeks ago, but have only have a couple of pages thus far...

15. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

I ordered it from Kino out of impulse I guess. Personally, it wasn't engaging enough to have me hooked (in the sense of a page turner) but hey, reviews were great so you wouldn't know till you read it. IIRC WWZ was highly revered for the parallels it drew against real world politics. Probably the kind of novel that is slow to burn.

16. rabscuttle1

I thought it was a page turner. Finished it in a couple of hours.

17. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

I strongly suggest everyone try the audio book. it's acted by a bunch of well named folks. acted, not read. very cool. you can hear the whole thing on youtube. the battle of yonkers is awesome.

[​IMG]

18. page

page Well-Known Member

This. One of the best audiobook experiences I've had.

19. rabscuttle1

I'd rather read. Nothing ever looks as good or sounds as good as it does in my own head.

20. hiphopcr

hiphopcr Member

World War Z is boring and the least amount of action of any zombie related material in the history of zombie related material.

However, it DOES set up a rich and detailed zombie world.