Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Would you stay or would you go?

Discussion in 'Zombie Survival' started by Jen7, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I saw threads like this a few years back when i first joined the forum, but I wanted to bring this up again now that we've seen a few more seasons of what Rick and co. have been through.

The pain of losing children and loved ones, being on the road not knowing where to sleep or where their next meal would come from, finding a safe haven (the prison and Alexandria) only to watch it be destroyed. Losing eyes and limbs. Finding new people to become close with only to watch them die a savage death. Also, i'm sure many of these people had pets pre-ZA that they will never see again. The constant mystery of who you can or cannot trust.

So...with all of that in mind...if a ZA started right now, would you put on your survivor pants and plunge ahead or would you find some pills and slip into the sweet, unknowing slumber of death? Do you think those who died early on in the ZA were fortunate to miss out on all of this pain and agony, or do you think they are missing out on a chance of a lifetime to try and rebuild civilization?

Morbid, i know...but i think it's an interesting question!

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think you'll get a lot of answers along the lines of "suicide is stupid. Hell no, I'd fight to the end", [very easy to say when sitting in a cozy sofa chair with an ipad in your lap and a 6 month supply of spaghetti-o's in your basement fridge], so I'll try for something deeper. :p

The show crafts an impression that the ZA would [almost] be fun. Who among us doesn't secretly wish they were part of the group? But yes, the reality of the situation would be far more grim. Losing every loved one and friend you've ever known, and being thrown into a world lacking baths, reliable food and toothpaste, while facing constant immediate danger, would be enough to surpass a breaking point for many people. Maybe even most people. A lot of people would 'opt out'.

I personally might be at a slight advantage being a bachelor. Losing my parents would be hard, yes, but perhaps not as devastating as losing a wife and children. If I woke up tomorrow and found myself in the outbreak of a ZA, with my parents gone, I would fight to survive, at least at first. The key, i think, would be finding other survivors to live with. If I became part of a group like Rick's, and had people I cared about, and who cared about me, I'd want to live. If, on the other hand, many months went by, and I was still all by myself, with no companions aside from hunger, terror, B.O, and perpetual constipation due to a diet consisting largely of Cheetos and peanut butter, would I still want to fight then? Maybe, but maybe not. Something as simple as having a dog with me might sway my decision.

Yeah, and if I lost a limb somewhere along the way, that would just really be obnoxious.

My short answer is that yes, I would want to survive as long as I had people by my side, trying to survive with me. Completely alone...after a certain amount of time... i'd probably be looking for a nice bottle of Vicodin to munch on. ;)

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, the above response applies only to Walking Dead type zombies. If I woke up to a world full of the 28 Days Later brand of zombie, I'd lock myself in a closet, suck my thumb, and imagine a happy place with lots of flowers and hot pockets.

4. Jylo

Jylo New Member

First of all, this is exactly how I feel about the question. Couldn't have put it better myself.

SEcondly, we need to remember to stash prunes away for this. My preference is unfortunately Hot Cheetos, so. Honestly, the closest I'll ever get to killing myself in a ZA is during one of my bi-monthly trips to the potty.

Why the hell has my introduction to these forums been so shitty?

5. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Well like, I'd probably be eaten straight off.

But honestly, I don't know. I think most people would say "I'd try and survive!" until they're actually faced with such a situation. It's easy to say I'd do my best to survive in theory, but jesus, if I lost just about everyone I loved I know most people -- including myself -- would probably be severely mentally scarred. It's hard to recover from that. And you just don't know until you experience it.

I might off myself to save myself the pain, I just don't know. It's hard to say in theory.

6. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Im on same page as [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION]. I have no delusions on my ability to survive without the comforts of life. Call me a snob, but hot running water, a soft mattress and Charmin toilet paper are life's essetials in my world. I'll readily admit that I may spend the first day or two trying to find people to hide behind and/or who could save my ass, but ultimately, i think i would off myself. I would rather have that control then facing the possibility of being eaten alive. Nottomention that if a cockroach sends me screaming, I am pretty sure seeing a zombie would give me a panic attack so massive it would stop my heart and save me the trouble of finding the least messiest and painful way to go.

7. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

See? that's your problem, always being negative. Instead of hot running water there would be spring showers, (cold thunderstorms) a soft mattress would be a comfy bed on fragrant foliage, (laying in stink weed) and your new Charmin would be a ample amount of garden moss (ie, a fistful of spanish tree moss full of chiggers) it's just all in the way it is presented. :p

8. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Ive been down to your place twice and you have forgotten already? That my idea of camping is going down to a 3 Star Hotel instead of a 5 Star? I dont care how pretty anyone paints the picture, i am not nor will i ever be an "outdoorsy" type. Hence, unless i hole up somewhere that has ample food, running water, and the comforts of life i currently enjoy, while keeping the flesh hungry element out, then im screwed. And your forgetting one more thing Pat. I shot 6 bullets into that ONE ant that stung me, how long do you think your ammo will last with me around hmmmmm?

9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I don't like either of these options! I refuse to conform! I will not try to survive NOR will I commit suicide!!!!

I can't think of what my third option would be as of this point, but it's out there. Any ideas?

10. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

6 shots, 1 ant, not a single hit, lol
    I think you should study the ways of TD and then you can just deny anything has gone to shit :)

11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I'm very familiar with the philosophies of Team Delusional. I've spent a lot of time trolling in the Beth threads. Booyeah!

But you're right.... That's the perfect solution. I'll just pretend that the zombies are still normal or maybe just mentally handicapped. Kind of like what happened at the end of Shaun of the Dead.

12. Pyrexx1850

Pyrexx1850 New Member

If we're talking about the type of undead shown in the Walking Dead. Then I think i'd stay. But honestly it really depends on how things turn out for me and my family. We don't live in that populated of an area, and I can easily get away if I needed to. So I don't see an issue with escaping any Walkers. However, I would be more worried about people with weapons.

Whenever I do think of what i'd do if a ZA happened I keep coming back to the fact of my pets. I keep coming to a simple conclusion. People with pets care for them the longer they have them. If you have a pet who has practically grown up with you, you're going to care for it greatly, whether you want to admit it or not. You'd hate to see it in any pain or even think of it in any pain. In a ZA people would be forced to leave the pets they've grown so attached to, they would probably try to convince themselves that they'll be back to take care of them, or they'd try and take them along. Personally, I would leave them. It'd be pretty damn difficult for me to do it, but my hand would be forced. Can't have anything slowing me down in that situation.

13. Cbcw76

Cbcw76 Member

Assuming I'd 'stay alive', then another question occurs: "staying HERE in a known, familiar location, or going on the road full of unknowns".

VATOS and the Hospital Gang were interesting because they opted to stay after the 'front lines' had passed them by. They opted for familiar grounds, and then were left to scavenge from there. But at least they knew where to look - at first. Once those were depleted, well... it still wouldn't be any different from moving on to different locations - all 'old existing supplies' would be eventually depleted.

"Going somewhere else" should include the important concepts of farming (ample weather conditions, rainfall) and fresh-water (rivers).

I do like the idea of islands or coastal areas. But along with a chainlink fence to pile up zombies, I'd consider a boat with a bell or noisemaker, and draw the zombies out into the tides. Let them get washed away instead of piling up at my fence.

There aren't a lot of coastal areas that provide an abundance of farmlands and freshwater. Coastal areas are notorious for shallow water tables that are ruined by saltwater. Florida, for example.

South Texas is one notable exception. The landscape for hundreds of miles has several centuries of farming and crops. This is important because there aren't going to be too many seed-stores that deliver. Finding land already growing a variety of crops will be wonderful. The Rio Grande has been flowing for several thousand years, so that's freshwater. And the Gulf of Mexico has the tidal currents that will take zombies from Brownsville to Houston, where they all belong anyway.

Then, there's the lower Mississippi - from Vicksburg for a hundred miles with long histories of farming and at least garden crops. Wide river prevents zombie herds from the western two-thirds of the nation. And wash all of the eastern third's zombies down to Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Let the oil derricks have 'em.

14. USMC

USMC New Member

I think it all depends on the area you are in...... If i was in a small town , i'd stay and try to build a wall like Alexandria.... if i am in a bigger city, i'd bolt and head to the country to get away from the mob... then it's all about finding a place like a Prison or Police station that you can hold up in....

15. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

Gimme them pills.

16. Hostage

Hostage New Member

I'd be at the coast hoping I have enough to trade for getting on a ship to the Bahamas or wherever there is still room. I see thousands flooding the islands. Course, we are all infected, so a plan has to be put in place for when each of us dies.

17. Sarah-kate

Sarah-kate Member

I'd stay and fight but if something were to happen to my family I fear I'd turn full on psycho and be killed by a group like Rick and co lol.

18. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

I would make a time capsul and write about the person I thought I was, and what I thought to be right and wrong.. then dig it up in 3 years after I turned into a murderous psychotic ash-hole and cried at the difference

19. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

Wow I hadn't ventured yet into this section of the forum, very interesting stuff! Very good question Jen, and I think an important one.

The Walking Dead has got me thinking more than I ever did before about something like that really happening, and I've pondered what I think I'd do, etc.

First, I am, and I can only speak for myself, and I would never judge someone for the choices they would make in this scenario in regards to wanting to live or wanting to die. I also am a big proponent of not knowing for sure what you'd really do until faced with a situation.

First, on the "lighter" stuff - a few years ago I started going camping twice a year with close friends of mine. They are expert campers and outdoor people, and have been for years. I'm a newbie mostly, but I know a hell of a lot more than I ever did before. But what I realized is just how much you do rely on your day to day comforts until you don't have them anymore. That in of itself is a major shock. And that's camping in a non-ZA environment, so to have to do that coupled in with fighting off the dead, well, that's overwhelming to say the least. Over the past couple of years I've been able to minimize my packing quite a lot. I've got a multi-day pack that can fit just about everything needed, and I can attach tent, etc, and I have trekking poles (which could double as weapons eh?). It's professionally fitted and I know how to pack it properly. I have a TWD Survival Kit, which does have a TON of very useful stuff, including food and water rations, an awesome emergency kit and many other things, that could get me through for a while. I always leave that bag packed and in the trunk of my car. COULD I go on in the woods, let's say for a long period of time? I don't know, really, but I feel like I know myself enough to know that I'd at least try. I've been through an egregious amount of very traumatic things in my lifetime, which started at a very young age, and I definitely am not one to give up when shit gets tough. Yes, this would be unlike anything else, but the premise is the same.

I also do know how to shoot a gun, and if a ZA were to happen, and the zombies were like the walkers on TWD, I could at least utilize one if needed. Knives? Not so much. I do know, based on some other situations I've been in, that I'd be more on the fight than flight side...

I always tell my friends I go camping with, though it's a joke, but I think I'd actually do it - that if a ZA did happen, I'd head to where they are. I'd have a much better chance going out there and making it with a contractor/hunting/weaponry/camping expert and a nature/dendrology/camping expert. Then I'd have learned more skills that I could use to get by if I got separated or ended up on my own somehow.

As far as loved ones - knowing what we know from TWD, I would expect I would lose people after seeing what happened on TWD, it'd be inevitable. It is absolutely incomprehensible to me right now obviously, but I'd like to think I'd get through it somehow and try to survive. I know I'd feel like I'd want to for the ones I lost, to honor them I guess. Of course it's easy to sit here and type this in a comfortable chair with iced coffee.

Man, talking about this, I feel like I need to take up kickboxing and a survivalist class...

20. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Please! I'll die fighting - always