Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

wrong direction

Discussion in 'Episode 104 - Not Fade Away' started by Survivor, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Omg!Pudding!

Omg!Pudding! Member

I reply from a privileged reality. I've got Netflix. There is a lot of production that is worse than FTWD (why can't we just call it Walking Dead: LA?! So cute.) The difference here, and maybe, hopefully in the OP's mind, is we're not comparing to the usual crap that makes TV...and I suppose that's our fault. We're just hoping for a goddamn good show, based on the production team, and so far we're being disappointed. Of course it will be better later on, but that wasn't a discrepancy even TWD was allowed. In fact TWD lost budget after a super strike out (fan perspective) first season, because ratings. This FTWD would have shit ratings. Anyway, the new guy is decent, and it's free to get better and probably improve thanks to its ratings (thanks to TWDs hardships.) People willing to bitch on an online forum won't hurt the machine by saying, EH, they could do better.

#21 Omg!Pudding!, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

What has been hurting my viewing of the show is all of these characters being introduced, especially because they are all pretty 1 dimensional. TWD season 1 introduced a small group of main characters (with Rick as central focus) and they all had interesting characteristics

3. Omg!Pudding!

Omg!Pudding! Member

Indeed! Within TWD Ep 101, we were offered an intimate look into our major character(s). That scene with Rick and Shane in their squad car was as good it gets. Meanwhile, FTWD began with a larger scope, and it's been hard to attach to anyone. Perhaps their point?

4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree, that's my problem with the show also.

5. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I agree about the part that we didn't get to see wholesale mayhem in the Los Angeles basin. We got to see a little of it in 103 but nothing like total carnage, rioting, and clogged freeways. I chalk that up to a limited budget.

Aside from that, this has been a good show. Sorry for those who think it sucks.

#25 westwingnut, Sep 21, 2015
  6. Hope the Savior

But we witnessed more than Nick relapsing in this episode. We saw the rise of a potential leader and a compelling reason for him to reassess his perceptions. We observed survivors' faith in the military erode into mistrust. And we observed survivors beginning to adapt their behavior.

Travis' amicability, credulity, and positivity resulted in him becoming the liaison between his fellow survivors and the National Guard. Throughout the episode he continually reassured his fellow survivors and family that everything was fine and that the National Guard had everything under control. Likewise, he quickly dismissed any skepticism anyone expressed about the situation, especially sentiments of mistrust and doubt about the National Guard.

But those flashes of gunfire Travis saw, illuminating the house Chris mentioned earlier, undoubtedly rattled his trust in the military's "good" intentions. Next episode, he may warn his neighbors to be wary of the National Guard, and he may more readily embrace Maddy, Chris, and Daniel's mistrustful attitudes. Travis may finally realize and accept the cold, hard truth that his and his family's survival will depend, not on the armed forces or the government, but on how adeptly he and his group adapt to this new world.

And look at Ofelia. So far she has been portrayed as this sweet, young lady, but tonight we saw her manipulative side. When she realized one of the guardsman was interested in her, she pounced on that opportunity to exploit his feelings in order to get her mom the necessary meds. That flirtation may prove fruitful for Ofelia (and co.) the next few episodes...but it could also horribly backfire on her.

At the end of episode 3, the characters were relieved the military arrived: they were the godsend the survivors needed. But that perspective transformed by the end of this episode: now, the survivors are questioning if they can rely on the military for their survival and best interests. The characters and the story are advancing...just subtly and slowly.

7. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

I like the premise of the show and the concept of the show. I just think the focus isn't on the right people.

AMC commercials would have you believe the show is action packed, full of the horror and chaos and terrifying realities of the zombie apocalypse. What is the actual show? Glimpses. Glipmses of the freeway shooting, glimpses of the riot, glipmses of the power outage, glimpses of the hospital. If we're gonna tell the story of the start of the outbreak through glipmses we'd have saved alot of money and frustration by doing this in the actual Walking Dead as flashbacks.

The collapse of modern civilization does not need zombies to be horrific. It doesn't need Rick Grimes or anyone from TWD. But it at least needs to do more than glipmses of real life dilemmas.

Somehow we skip 9 days into the future, despite this "slow and steady" start of the outbreak, because. Unpredecented Martial Law is in effect and everyone is cool with that, just because. No news, not even the emergency broadcast system or some random dude on AM radio....because. The second largest city in America has fallen and we see the story of people in the suburbs. No, not the suburbs two blocks away where bodies lie in the the streets. We can just assume what happened there....its not important. What's important is the suburbs guarded by fences and the military, the safe zone where people go for morning runs and relax in the pool.

That's the start of the outbreak, the "Fear" and the fall of society we've all been dying to see. It's like telling the story of 9/11 from someone grounded at an airport in Cleveland. This grand cop-out is what I see as the wrong direction.

Episode 4 was a great sign. I am curious to see what happens to Nick and Liza. I am curious to see how Madison and Daniel react. I was impressed by Ofelia's strategic fling with the soldier for meds/info and now that Alicia and Chris aren't purposefully in the dark, they are actually becoming more likeable. Even naive Travis seemed to wake up at the very end of the episode. I'm legitimately curious to see what the military does to people in their custody and why/how they started go kill uninfected civilians. This actually is intriguing.

I'm optimistic and I've enjoyed the series thus far. But my critiques still stand and I can't help but notice the missed opportunities.

#27 JohnConnor, Sep 21, 2015
  8. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

To me, this episode paves the way for us to see:

1) how the military collapse
    With Daniel Salazar + his wife + Nick + Liza Clark going to the military hospital/base, that will be the place for us to see how such a military camp will collapse.

2) how the little fenced off community come to its end
    I predict they will use this town to show us how the military will come in in a later stage to shoot everyone dead. This will be more or less like the military shooting everyone in the hospital when Shane visited Rick.
    Interestingly, this community is perhaps what the ASZ would have been. I remember Deanna once told Rick that the National Guard was supposed to setup a 'fence' around but they pulled out unexpectedly.

9. Mick Turpin

Mick Turpin Member

Totally agree, I'm a huge fan of the genre and was hoping this would be the show that would finally show the initial stages of the outbreak, the gradual collapse of society. The 9 day time jump has meant we've missed out on so many potentially epic scenes, total total missed opportunity...Really ridiculous decision by the writers tbh!!!

If anything this should've been the start of the second series, can't believe they screwed it like this

10. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I'm pissed off because I didn't get to see the serious panic and mayhem of the initial outbreak.. Instead, I got to see Maddie walking thru what looked like a "Universal Studios ZA experience" ride.. then straight to the soap opera post ZA commune set.. Just 2 more weeks and this JV nonsense is over.. This is nothing but low budget filler TV to keep viewers at AMC til TWD starts..

11. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Some people are having problems with the characters, but I'm not. I like Madison and her family, and I like Daniel Salazar. I'm not really connecting with Travis though, but I don't think he's going to last too long either.

As I said in the review thread the main problem I have is that we jumped 9 days from 103 to 104. Even if they showed us in a small scale I'd like to see how we went from mayhem to the dead zone. It just leaves so much out. I can assume that there are no walkers by the fence because the military has been purging the nearby areas, but it would've been better if we saw some of that at the start of the episode.

Also, you'd think survivors would be flocking to a fenced in area where the military has set up camp.

I agree though that overall it has been a good show, and I'm enjoying it. I liked 104 though the least so far.

12. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Me too,I am OK with the characters it is the Story that has huge holes for me.

They built this thing up as the missing info that we didn't get to witness in Georgia or the start of the Apocalypse in general and then BAM! we don't get to see it here either?

I just can not swallow the wholesale turd this leaves us asked to eat.

13. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Yup....they skipped the 9 days that I wanted to see the most, and went straight to TWD 90210.....just beautiful.

14. Mick Turpin

Mick Turpin Member

totally bizarre decision. Honestly ridiculous

15. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Some people were complaining early on that it was too slow moving, but that's what I liked about this show. They seemed to be giving us a step by step and it was a perfect pacing for me. Then the 9 days curve ball came in and it surprised me.

My guess is that they want to have the finale with our remaining survivors getting out of the general LA area. But I'd prefer to even leave them in the military enclosed area at the end of 106 rather than skipping a whole critical 9 days at the beginning of the outbreak.

16. westwingnut

The 9 day skip is the only real weak spot for me. They did say that they will be playing with time so maybe they are saving the best for last.

17. Survivor

Survivor Member

TOTALLY AGREE ! Thank you verry much for this post, it has it all in one sentence,what i was complaining about in the first place.

Therefore the tittle of this thread wrong direction. As someone already wrote, where is the riots, where is the kaos,where is the action ? Was it ment to be all done in one episode and then we are in some kind of light version of TWD story but in LA ? If so, this show should have never been done, bc they fooled us with the description of this show.

18. westwingnut

If they are not showing us all the carnage that we would like it's probably because that would be freakishly expensive to shoot. Alternately, they could make a big digital thing that we would all see through. If we don't get to see that it will be unfortunate but understandable.

#38 westwingnut, Sep 21, 2015
  19. Survivor

Survivor Member

Look on which post i responded to. Then, if they wanted to do LA version of TWD, they should have said it in the beginning, not fooling us around with the BS about how it begun, how it looked in big cities etc crap... We have seen close to nothing so far of that and probably wont in future episodes either, bc of the 9 days skip, the 9 days which was probably the most interesting in the whole "the begining of the ZA arch"...Instead we see "dead" city, bratty neighbourhood in suburb LA which looks like a cheap and trial version of ASZ.

And one another thing. The response of the group is not realistic. It would be OK if they havent seen what they already saw. Like people beeing shot and still "live", eating each other etc... Travis and his wife are not idiots, they are educated persons which should put 2+2 together and understand that non "flu like virus" can cause this.But what they do ? Taking a morning run...
    Only one who takes this serious is Daniel and his reaction is propiate to the situation.

#39 Survivor, Sep 21, 2015
  20. westwingnut

Oh, yes. The quote did not show up at first. Mea culpa.