Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Yesterday - spoilers

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Morgotha, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Spoilers. Really.

This movie really isn't about the Beatles music, per se, but is really a romance, so that's a warning, LOL. The basic plot is about the life of Jack Malik, a teacher who gave up teaching to follow his dream and be a musician, but was unsuccessful, horribly unsuccessful, as a songwriter. His biggest fan was Elly, the woman who loves him, and whom he thinks of as a friend. He ends up getting hit by a bus, and when he wakes up, the Beatles never existed. He sings their songs, and is catapulted to stardom - or is about to be, when he reassesses his life and decides that he'd rather be a teacher spending his life with the love of his life than a rock star playing someone else's songs.

The main impression this movie leaves you with is that it's very kind. Nothing really shocking, sexual, or violent, no "agendas", just a nice movie. The protagonist struggles with his role as far as playing what he didn't write, but ends up coming to peace with it on meeting John Lennon who is now in his 70's and had a good life. (For those of you who don't know, in reality he was murdered at age 40.) Everyone has to struggle in life, and you can see how if Jack was to pretend to be "the Beatles", his whole life would be a lie, and even if no one else knew, the fact that he knew would devour him.

LOL, one of the funny scenes is the hero tries recording one of his own songs with the beatles' songs, and the record people say something like, "I hate it, but not so much I want to hear it again to see why I hate it". At that point I think it he understood that he personally didn't have what it takes to create "art" on his own, and again chose to be happy rather than famous (the record company wasn't pleased).

The weak part of the movie for me was Elly. Not that she's a bad actress, but she wasn't given a lot to work with. A pretty, pure at heart, math teacher who isn't shown to have any bad habits or really personality to speak of. You want to relate to her troubles, and you can-- about as much as you can relate to the troubles of the Virgin Mary. I wish they would have spent just a little more time making her into a person.

At the end of it all, it's enjoyable and leaves you with a warm feeling inside. I haven't heard many of those songs in a long time, and it is good music, which brings back good memories. Worth seeing, IMO.

Oh, and I really like the scene where Jack was trying to play a song for his parents. His parents were great all around.

#1 Morgotha, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019