Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

You don't know what it's like to be hungry

Discussion in 'Episode 503 - Four Walls and a Roof' started by JFLP, Oct 28, 2014.

1. JFLP

JFLP Member

That line from Gareth doesn't make much sense to me... Having lived so much time in Terminus, I'm pretty sure they would easily gotten crops and cattle like Rick did at the prison, so I don't think they would have been hungry enough to turn into cannibals. And we know that happened after the crazy bearded guy invaded their home, so we know that before that they had food.

The only scenario I can think of is if the bandits had ravaged all their crops and food, leaving them with nothing, and because of that, they had to resort to cannibalism, which still doesn't make sense to me, since if that we're the case, what would the bandits have eaten?

2. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Maybe they were starved by the bandits while locked in the boxcar and, by the time they gained the upper hand, were ravenous and killed and ate the bandits as part of their revenge against the brutality they suffered. I dunno, I'm just making this up as I go along.

3. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I had not thought of that but it does make sense. The bandits were sadistic and brutalizing captives in other ways. The bandits were probably also not too keen on working so probably didn't produce loads of food themselves and didnt want to share but a bare minimum with the captives.

4. Darylette

Darylette Member

This is where the termites as an established group doesn't make sense. The hunters were just rubbish, they eked a living from life and didn't have the skills to set anything up long term. The termites did, there were so many of them they could have raided sufficiently and grown something. Somebody would have got the hang of trapping animals, surely?

The only excuse for me is that it was Gareth justifying himself and his group to others. People sometimes excuse the crimes that they commit with justifications, e.g. "Look at what they did to me!" "She made me do it!" and so on. That's the only way of excusing it that I can personally think of.

5. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I just thought of another scenario. They're locked in the boxcar when a child eventually dies of natural causes. They're starving and they decide to eat the child. This is consistent with other accounts of cannibalism under extreme circumstances. Eventually as more people start to succumb they tell them that it's OK to eat their corpse in order to survive. They become habituated to eating dead people. Eventually when they gain the upper hand they emerge from the boxcar as established cannibals and they know what they need to do to survive. Eat the bandits. Then they went nuts.

Also Gareth strikes me as an urban hipster. He's obviously a sociopath so I bet his only skill in life is convincing people to buy junk investments. I don't think he'd know how to acquire food beyond tapping his phone app "get organic food delivered now".

6. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Yeah this was my assumption, that they were locked up and never fed by their captors, so they had to resort to eating each other, or corpses of their family/friends to survive, and so it just continued.

And I agree with what you said about Gareth just being plain old psycho. The fact that he didn't bat an emotional eye with regards to his brother or Mother dying, and just says it all so matter-of-factly, mean's he's clearly not in touch with reality.

7. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

Gareth obviously rose to the occasion somehow and was able to prove himself to be very convincing that he became the leader. In the beginning they weren't cannibals and started Terminus with intentions to help out any survivors. They must have had regular food like canned goods and non perishable items they found and brought to Terminus, likely taken and eaten by the bandits. After they fought back and reclaimed Terminus again, I could see a mad Gareth making his butcher or cattle speech to the rest "no more being nice... you'll only get sh/t on... eat or be eaten." He derangedly drafted this ideology up in his head while being kept prisoner all those weeks locked up. I am fairly sure there were others who made it out of those train cars who opposed and rejected in disgust of the idea of eating other humans. Those people became the cattle and back into the boxcar they go.

A sophisticated system was established and departments and jobs were assigned to the people that joined, in this new sanctuary. There was even a candle room. They made little memorials for those who came and gone as cattle: "After we eat you, we will still pay respect to you and that is by giving a personal effect of yours a place in our candle room." They did write the names of their cattle on the ground and walls, when they arrived at Terminus and when they were butchered. Basically Terminus turned into a cannibalistic cult.

I also don't think they were too lazy to hunt animals, they just chose not to. And once the new Terminus was created those became the terms in their community.

But yea, very sad how they were once good, and ended in them turning into cannibals, which ultimately brought them to their demise because another group of survivors (Rick's group) came along and exterminated their existence.

#7 Dreet, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I like how they've given a backstory to the whole Hunter comic arc that's got people debating and speculating. I think this is one example where the tv show has improved on the comics because if they'd depicted it as the comics did (Hunters just show up, we've got no idea who these people are or what's lead them to this) it would have been much less satisfying to viewers.

9. Zombie.GrrL

Zombie.GrrL New Member

It's still a stupid thing to say to someone in the zompocalypse. "You don't know what it's like to be hungry" - ummm HELLO.

Yes, the Termites were tortured, and locked in the cars themselves, but I think everyone surviving in that world would know not only what it's like not only to be hungry - due to scarce food and the danger of walkers - but to face the demonic side of humanity.

You could the reaction in Rick's face when Gareth said that to him, the slightly humoured look that said a thousand things yet Rick couldn't be bothered verbalising as Gareth was not worth it.

10. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey another Aussie!!

Welcome to the gang!

11. Zombie.GrrL

Zombie.GrrL New Member